• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is incorrect with those humans who comment sarcastically?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with you! I think people are cowards who, when confronted with a seemingly tough situation or question, almost always use sarcasm as a mode of verbal volleying. However, in my entire life I have only met a couple of people who fit the description of "sarcastic person". When most people use sarcasm it is used as a form of humourous irony instead of a just blurting out a remark that could appear rude or off-putting. To be sarcastic in this case is the more kind way of getting a point across so as not to offend.

But as I stated, I have met only a couple of consummately sarcastic people and they were both cowards who were too afraid to be forthright.
Blurting out blunt opinions around others isn't cowardice it's a sign of a lack of emotional maturity or emotional intelligence. Either that or they're Australian lol. Culturally speaking Aussies tend to be rather forthright and blunt and practically breathe sarcasm.

Last edited:

sovietchild

Sarcasm is a way of avoiding confrontation because they are afraid of asking for what they want. When people are not good at reading those around them, or are not sure how to carry on a conversation they will often employ sarcasm hoping it sounds playful or affectionate.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Sarcasm is a way of avoiding confrontation because they are afraid of asking for what they want. When people are not good at reading those around them, or are not sure how to carry on a conversation they will often employ sarcasm hoping it sounds playful or affectionate.
Those unable to detect sarcasm lack the necessary intellectual traits used to read body language, tone and inflection of speech. Inability to detect sarcasm OR lies could also correlate to an early warning sign of Dementia.

The actual question should be what is wrong with people who can't understand sarcasm. Because modern scientific research suggests that such a failure is linked to a number of woes.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
My guess is that, in person, you are not a very skilled communicator. Again, you are wrong. I love a good confrontation and do not shrink from it when it arises. The fact is most people do not like confrontation so being able to weather the initial barrages gives one a leg up in dealing with confrontation. Likewise, I have am a very direct person. I do not beat around the bush - to the point - that some might find it a bit unnerving. I am positively great at reading so-called "body language" and rely on it when I have given public talks or taught classes. (I watched my audience/students to see how they reacted to various comments and to keep an eye out to see when I am going over their heads.)

Lastly, I am a naturally shy person, but one who realized early on that I have a unique personality and people, for the most part, like talking to me. It is for this reason that I don't have much problem starting conversations and am usually the one to open a dialogue. I learned this skill by working in a retail "department" store where I had to approach customers. Once I got over the worry of making a fool out of myself I found that I was good at it because I'm a good listener and read body language cues well.

Any other notions that I can dispel?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Blurting out blunt opinions around others isn't cowardice it's a sign of a lack of emotional maturity or emotional intelligence. Either that or they're Australian lol. Culturally speaking Aussies tend to be rather forthright and blunt and practically breathe sarcasm.

Yeah...there is that.
Culturally, we value 'honesty' over 'tact', at least traditionally. It's only when Australians are regularly in contact with other cultures not called 'Americans' that we suddenly realise just how stark this difference can be. Subtlety is not an Australian trait.

As for sarcasm, yup, it's a common form of humour here. I roll with it a lot. That plus tangential nonsense.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Hey, given that we've established that many Aussies lack tact, I feel I can be blunt...
You are COMPLETELY over-generalising in most of these threads. Tattoos, sarcasm, etc are not sure pointers to emotional issues any more than being a Muslim is a sure pointer to terrorism.

Based on the fact that I am at times sarcastic, and I am most certainly capable of both carrying a conversation and being quite direct, all I need is a tattoo somewhere and I can dispel a load of your over-generalisations at once. Just like there are plenty of posters here who can dispel the 'Muslims are terrorists' point of view.

Mary Blackchurch

Free from Stockholm Syndrome
Blurting out blunt opinions around others isn't cowardice it's a sign of a lack of emotional maturity or emotional intelligence.

Yes, it is. But I think sarcastic people are immature and lack intelligence. I cannot add Aussies into that batch, though, mate. ;) I think Aussies are the most practical people - and the most in touch with what's natural, generally speaking.

sovietchild

"Eliminating sarcasm may just be one of the most rewarding personal development steps you’ll ever take because it forces you to better express who you really are and what is important to you."

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
"Eliminating sarcasm may just be one of the most rewarding personal development steps you’ll ever take because it forces you to better express who you really are and what is important to you."
So, who is the genius behind this quote?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, it is. But I think sarcastic people are immature and lack intelligence. I cannot add Aussies into that batch, though, mate. ;) I think Aussies are the most practical people - and the most in touch with what's natural, generally speaking.
Well yeah us Aussies are in touch with what's natural. I mean you has to be awares of nature round these parts otherwise it'll kill ya! ;)
Well actually sarcasm usage does indicate a healthy brain according to modern research. It also takes a certain amount of intelligence to be able to properly identify and use sarcasm. Also the ability to use sarcasm may indicate a more creative person. So modern neuroscience and linguistics experts are a little bit at odds with your assessment I'm afraid.
Unless that assessment was sarcastic, ya cheeky larrikin!

But seriously though how about for example Oscar Wilde? The man had a very high level of education and aced it in his sleep. He is the master of sarcasm. The sarcasm he used to dissect the Aesthetic/Decadent movement in Picture of Dorian Gray is hardly unintelligent. Next to Lolita I've never thought so furiously in my life trying to discern his jabs.

Last edited:

sovietchild

Hey, given that we've established that many Aussies lack tact, I feel I can be blunt...
You are COMPLETELY over-generalising in most of these threads. Tattoos, sarcasm, etc are not sure pointers to emotional issues any more than being a Muslim is a sure pointer to terrorism.

Based on the fact that I am at times sarcastic, and I am most certainly capable of both carrying a conversation and being quite direct, all I need is a tattoo somewhere and I can dispel a load of your over-generalisations at once. Just like there are plenty of posters here who can dispel the 'Muslims are terrorists' point of view.

Well, Australia is kinda upside down if you think about it.

• Summer: December to February
  • Autumn: March to May
  • Winter: June to August
  • Spring: September to November

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Then again, we're the ones who are upside down to them. Jus' sayin'....

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member

Lol more like
Summer January to January
With a few months of under 20 degree (Celsius) weather somewhere in between.
Course it depends on where you live.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Lol more like
Summer January to January
With a few months of under 20 degree (Celsius) weather somewhere in between.
Course it depends on where you live.

I live in Melbourne, so it's actually more like this;

Monday - hot
Tuesday - cold
Wednesday - windy
Thursday - warm and sunny
Friday morning - hail
Friday afternoon - extreme heatwave
Friday night - out drinking so who cares