• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is incorrect with those humans who comment sarcastically?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
There's usually nothing wrong with the people making the sarcastic remarks, but rather with the generally insipid, vacuous tripe that they're lambasting via humor, since such posts rarely deserve a serious reply.
Pretty much, @Kilgore Trout

In general, it would seem that all too many people do not understand how richly they deserve a highly sarcastic response as their original ideas are so loopy that they do not warrant serious consideration. What often makes it so deliciously humorous is that they think the twaddle of their thinking DOES warrant a serious response. That is hilarious... albeit more than a bit sad too...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What's a leading question?
Any of your thread titles. :D

It's a question asked in such a way that it dishonestly assumes facts or pushes the respondent to a particular answer. Examples:

- have you stopped beating your wife? (assumes that you beat your wife)
- what is wrong with those people who comment sarcastically? (assumes that there's something wrong with them)

sovietchild

I'm not going to answer your question. I consider leading questions to be a dishonest tactic, so I'm not going to play along.

If you want me to respond, ask me a question that shows you're interested in real, honest discussion.

So, what you are trying to chat, the leading question is a cheating question? Like a hacker.

Do you think sarcasm is cheating?

sovietchild

Pretty much, @Kilgore Trout

In general, it would seem that all too many people do not understand how richly they deserve a highly sarcastic response as their original ideas are so loopy that they do not warrant serious consideration. What often makes it so deliciously humorous is that they think the twaddle of their thinking DOES warrant a serious response. That is hilarious... albeit more than a bit sad too...

Sarcasm is cheap and lazy humor.

sovietchild

Sarcastic people usually have a fear problem. They are usually battling either a fear of not being good enough or the fear of being taken from. They need to step back and figure out why they need to be sarcastic.

Mary Blackchurch

Free from Stockholm Syndrome
Sarcastic people usually have a fear problem. They are usually battling either a fear of not being good enough or the fear of being taken from. They need to step back and figure out why they need to be sarcastic.

I agree with you! I think people are cowards who, when confronted with a seemingly tough situation or question, almost always use sarcasm as a mode of verbal volleying. However, in my entire life I have only met a couple of people who fit the description of "sarcastic person". When most people use sarcasm it is used as a form of humourous irony instead of a just blurting out a remark that could appear rude or off-putting. To be sarcastic in this case is the more kind way of getting a point across so as not to offend.

But as I stated, I have met only a couple of consummately sarcastic people and they were both cowards who were too afraid to be forthright.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Who told you this, LOL. I utterly assure you that I do not have a fear problem. I've already pointed out why sarcasm is ladled out to the most deserving recipients. It is a normal response to an intellectually challenged comment or opinion that does not WARRANT a serious response. Good sarcasm also can take a fair amount of intelligence to craft, thus, hilariously, it will often go right over the head of the person it is directed at.

Look, I get it that, for some reason, you do not have a well developed sense of humor, but putting humor in a negative light does not put you in a particularly good one.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I agree with you! I think people are cowards who, when confronted with a seemingly tough situation or question, almost always use sarcasm as a mode of verbal volleying. However, in my entire life I have only met a couple of people who fit the description of "sarcastic person". When most people use sarcasm it is used as a form of humourous irony instead of a just blurting out a remark that could appear rude or off-putting. To be sarcastic in this case is the more kind way of getting a point across so as not to offend.

But as I stated, I have met only a couple of consummately sarcastic people and they were both cowards who were too afraid to be forthright.
I find your comments quite humorous as you can't possibly be serious. You have obviously never come across someone quite like me. I have no problem whatsoever telling people precisely what I think and in no uncertain terms. My sarcasm can be so penetrating that I will often use it to help the target person(s) avoid instantaneous embarrassment. What I mean is they will have to work out the riddle of what I have said to understand how it relates to their supposed thinking. I have run into this many times over the decades when people come back to me wagging their finger and saying, "Geez, I was watching TV later that night when it hit me what you meant." (I really am THAT good.)

In effect, it is an act of mercy so that I don't embarrass folks directly and make them vulnerable in public while they grapple with a proper response. The point is, not too many folks can handle the unvarnished truth and those of us who are gifted wordsmiths quickly learn it is better to cloak the truth so people can bite into it slowly and digest it one bit at a time.