• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is inaccurate with those communities who bring offerings to a sculpture?

sovietchild

What is incorrect with those communities who bring offerings to a sculpture?

In order to get something, you need to invest in something. What kind of investment is bringing an offering to a sculpture? What kind of a profit will they have in return? Is it a game of skill or is it a game of stupidity – lottery?

“Your trash is someone else’s treasure.” Those communities might as well give it to 3rd world countries, if they have it so much. The Prophet Muhammad said, Allah said: “Spend [on charity] O son of Adam, And I shall spend on you.”

I grow up in Ukraine. When I was a kid we didn’t have much food on the table. Sometimes I had to go to the neighbors back yards just to collect some apples and cherries because we did not have any food at the house. My mother would make some pancakes to sell it on the streets just to survive another day. Why do those communities investing ‘energy’ in sculptures when they could instead invest it in 3rd world countries? What are they doing? There is much greater profit if those communities would collect all the food that they don't need, and then give it to the others who are in need.

“Those who spend in charity will be richly rewarded.” Quran 57:7

Last edited by a moderator:

buddhist

In order to get something, you need to invest in something. What kind of investment is bringing an offering to a sculpture? What kind of a profit will they have in return? Is it a game of skill or is it a game of stupidity – lottery?
Nothing is incorrect about it, if done skillfully. If it changes and uplifts them spiritually, mentally, or emotionally, then such a ritual can be said to be useful.

I bow to my statue of the Buddha, not because that piece of wood can give anything to me, but because such a ritual comforts and concentrates my mind, and helps transforms me into a better person.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They're bringing offerings to what the statue represents, not the actual statue. That's just a location to do the observence, no different than a temple or alter.
The only thing I find wrong with it is I don't believe there's any conscious entity that's listening to their observances. But I believe that's as much true of Muslim and Christian prayers as Shinto and Hindu offerings.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

“Your trash is someone else’s treasure.” Those communities might as well give it to 3rd world countries, if they have it so much. The Prophet Muhammad said, Allah said: “Spend [on charity] O son of Adam, And I shall spend on you.”

I grow up in Ukraine. When I was a kid we didn’t have much food on the table. Sometimes I had to go to the neighbors back yards just to collect some apples and cherries because we did not have any food at the house. My mother would make some pancakes to sell it on the streets just to survive another day. Why do those communities investing ‘energy’ in sculptures when they could instead invest it in 3rd world countries? What are they doing? There is much greater profit if those communities would collect all the food that they don't need, and then give it to the others who are in need. Those sculptures are useless, they have no profit. Those communities are not deceiving no buddy but themselves.

“Those who spend in charity will be richly rewarded.” Quran 57:7
Why do you pray towards a city in the middle of a desert? Are you worshiping the city?

Your answer here is the same as the answer to offering things to statues. You're not. The city is just a place that means something more than the brick and mortar its constructed of.

This message has been brought to you by Captain Obvious. My work here is done.

sovietchild

Why do you pray towards a city in the middle of a desert? Are you worshiping the city?

Your answer here is the same as the answer to offering things to statues. You're not. The city is just a place that means something more than the brick and mortar its constructed of.

This message has been brought to you by Captain Obvious. My work here is done.

We don't bring any offerings to a city. Other then visa and food cost.

Kirran

Premium Member
We don't bring any offerings to a city. Other then visa and food cost.

But you bow in the direction of a city right? In the direction of a building which was formerly a pagan temple, more accurately? Are you worshipping the Kaaba? Of course not.

In my own case, I worship God as manifest in idols, and make offerings to God in those forms, because I am an evil mashrik as described in the Qur'an ;)

sovietchild

But you bow in the direction of a city right? In the direction of a building which was formerly a pagan temple, more accurately? Are you worshipping the Kaaba? Of course not.

In my own case, I worship God as manifest in idols, and make offerings to God in those forms, because I am an evil mashrik as described in the Qur'an ;)

Don't you think it's better if you don't offer anything to idols and instead offer something to a needy one?

f8d66be75cb4a32eb445eed6bec9429a.jpg

Kirran

Premium Member
Don't you think it's better if you don't offer anything to idols and instead offer something to a needy one?

f8d66be75cb4a32eb445eed6bec9429a.jpg

Well the statue is God, so it's offered to God.

And actually the food isn't left to waste.

For example, I attend a monastery with three temples. Lots of people come to visit as pilgrims (about 30,000 a year) and offer food at the temples - rice, lentils, pasta, potatoes, cooking oil, all sorts. That food, having been offered at the temples, is used by the monks and nuns to cook for themselves and for all these thousands of visitors. That takes up about 10% of the offerings. The remaining 90% goes off to various charities which need food, in particular local mental health charities and international NGOs which provide food to refugees.

This monastery, as a result of the food people offer to God there, is the biggest provider to food banks in Europe, in addition to all the food that goes beyond Europe to refugees in Sierra Leone, South Asia etc.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Honoring one's gods (yes,
gods, not "idols") does not prohibit one from supporting other humanitarian or environmental causes. In other words, there is no "instead" - one can do both of these things. That, and calling something "better" or "worse" is an expression of your own values that others need not share.

sovietchild

Well the statue is God, so it's offered to God.

And actually the food isn't left to waste.

For example, I attend a monastery with three temples. Lots of people come to visit as pilgrims (about 30,000 a year) and offer food at the temples - rice, lentils, pasta, potatoes, cooking oil, all sorts. That food, having been offered at the temples, is used by the monks and nuns to cook for themselves and for all these thousands of visitors. That takes up about 10% of the offerings. The remaining 90% goes off to various charities which need food, in particular local mental health charities and international NGOs which provide food to refugees.

This monastery, as a result of the food people offer to God there, is the biggest provider to food banks in Europe, in addition to all the food that goes beyond Europe to refugees in Sierra Leone, South Asia etc.

Why would you want to give food (energy) to God? God does not eat.

Kirran

Premium Member
Why would you want to give food (energy) to God? God does not eat.

God is in all things. So God, manifest as the pilgrims, as poor people in need of food, as animals etc, certainly benefits from the food. This is all service of God.

As for why specifically offering up in the temple before distributing to people in need, it's about surrendering to God, acknowledging that this all comes from God by His grace, and receiving God's blessings upon the food so that it carries that divine energy.

sovietchild

Honoring one's gods (yes, gods, not "idols") does not prohibit one from supporting other humanitarian or environmental causes. In other words, there is no "instead" - one can do both of these things. That, and calling something "better" or "worse" is an expression of your own values that others need not share.

A bit greedy don't you think? Giving something to a statue but not to the needy one. I'v seen it before, the food gets rotten or gets eaten by birds.

Kirran

Premium Member
A bit greedy don't you think? Giving something to a statue but not to the needy one. I'v seen it before, the food gets rotten or gets eaten by birds.

Where have you seen that? Who does that? I am someone who makes offerings up to God in the form of idols of Shiva, Ganesha, Durga etc, and I have never seen it left to rot.