• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God to you?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Theists only, please! (poly or mono, doesn't matter)

I've noticed a trend that I find very interesting, and correct me if I'm wrong. Christians see God as a parent, Muslims see God as an artist, Jews as a King, etc...

So how do you view God, however you see him/her/it/them?

For me, I'm polytheistic. so I have many gods, but the ultimate sentient being for me is The One. It is described best in my signature, but basically it isn't "above" anything, but simply is everything. It had no beginning, and has no end. It didn't "create" anything, because in my belief there is no "beginning" and no "end." It's among us, inside us, surrounds us, penetrates us, binds the galaxy toge- ... ... ... :thud: I think you get the idea. :D

Lucian

Theologian
Well, I see him as a parent, an artist, and a king! :D But yes, the first thing that came to my mind was "Father"; our Father, the One, the ultimate creator and ruler, who is the only one who has no beginning. I guess that is how I see him.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
God is a reality that I cannot properly conceptualise. I'm working on the concept but I do feel that nature is theophany. God is a presence in my awareness.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"God" is a name or label I sometimes use for a certain kind of mystical experience during which there is no perception of a divide between subject/object.

EDIT: I just read you asked for theists only. Sorry about that. I neither consider myself a theist nor an atheist.

god is the label of the unreachable, its the hammer you use to hit the nails of truth in the bord of life

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
A good question... I don't really know. He's kind of like a travelling companion on the road of life...

All mighty Allah says in the Holy Quran (transalation)
Surah ikhlas chapter 112 of the Holy Quran

In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
[SIZE=-1]
Say: He is Allah, the One and Only!
Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
He begetteth not nor is He begotten.
And there is none like unto Him.
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
- translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
The gods to me are friends, teachers and guides... but also are parents, brothers/sisters, and sometimes lovers.

idea

Question Everything
Heavenly Father - there are different types of parents - the kind you are born too and don't have a choice about, then there are parents such as- the fathers of music, or the founding fathers of our country... Perhaps He is both types of a Father, baptism can be seen as an actual "birth" which is the big deal around the ceremony... but then it is a chosen thing too...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
God, to me, is everything that is good; love, growth, beauty, and Nature.

I know that the nature bit can get "nasty" when animals have to kill for food, but then we have to as well. I wish I could go somewhere were no one and no being would ever get hurt - I think that might be called "Heaven".