• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Biblical Faith?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What concept? Isn't God from everlasting as Psalms 90:2 says______
Meaning concept is: that God had No beginning because God is from everlasting. ( from before anything else)
Whereas, per-human heavenly Jesus whom God sent to Earth for us was Not from everlasting.
Pre-human heavenly Jesus was "IN" the beginning, but No where does is say Jesus was 'before' the beginning.
Even the resurrected Jesus, before he ascended to heaven, at John 20:17 thought he had a God over him.
Now please notice that the then resurrected ascended-to-heaven Jesus still thinks he has a God over him according to John at Revelation 3:12.
Also, there is more than one throne mentioned at Revelation 3:21.
Why would one person with three heads need more than one throne _______
Again, you're operating out of ignorance about the concept, therefore all you are doing is barking up the wrong tree entirely. It's one thing to question or disagree with the concept as that's quite "kosher", but it is really just an exercise in ignorance not even to try and understand the concept.

The early Church fathers wrote the NT in Koine Greek, thus using a language and some concepts that were quite familiar with them, and one very important concept was their use of "essence" as formulated by Aristotle and Plato even though the word itself doesn't show up in any of the Christian scriptures per se. Here: Essence - Wikipedia

Simply put, "essence" in this case relates to what is important about Jesus and the Holy Spirit via God. It doesn't posit that they are literally God the Father but that the "essence" of them is of the Father. It's like the "essence" of a car is more than just a sum of its parts.

I'm outta here for the rest of the weekend, so take care.

Colt

IMO, that doesn't make sense, since why would God give that faith to Joe but not John?

IOW, there has to be conditions attached to this before it makes any sense to me.
It seems to depend on whether or not Joe or John sincerely wants to know God. God responds to the faintest flicker of faith, but faith must be cultivated through the living experience of trusting God's guidance. Faith is more than belief.

Dogknox20

Yes, Jesus answered correctly at verse 27 because Jesus kept the Law and he was still under the temporary Constitution of the Mosaic Law for ancient Israel - Leviticus 19:18
Since Pentecost (Christianity) now John 13:34-35 applies.
Jesus gave a NEW commandment to now love others as he loved others.
In other words, we are Now to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
So, we are Now to love neighbor MORE than self, MORE than the old Mosaic Law of Leviticus 19:18.

As far as MUST be saved please notice Matthew 24:13,
The one who endures to the end is saved ( delivered / rescued )
So, it is endure faithful to death, or be found faithful at the coming judgement separating time - Matthew 25:31-33,37,
Be found faithful in following Jesus' instruction as found at Matthew 24:14; Acts of the Apostles 1:8.
I suppose one could call that ' faith in action '. Believing and acting upon one's belief in Jesus' instruction.

Hello URAVIP2ME I hope all is well...

Good point.. It takes Faith! Faith to believe Jesus is God!
It takes faith to believe the words of Jesus!
Believing the words of Jesus is Believing in Jesus! REJECTING....
URAVIP2ME
rejecting the words of Jesus is rejecting salvation!

John 12:48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.

URAVIP2ME Words of Jesus.. Words of salvation.. 53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”

Christians believe the words of Jesus we believe God cannot lie!
Jews reject the words of Jesus they are NOT Christian! Jews do NOT believe Jesus is God!
52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

Christians are "Christ Followers"; The Anti-Christ is Anti-Christian he rejects Jesus is God! The Anti-Christ rejects the words of Jesus as lies!

moorea944

Hello URAVIP2ME I hope all is well...

URAVIP2ME

John 12:48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.

URAVIP2ME Words of Jesus.. Words of salvation.. 53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”

Christians believe the words of Jesus we believe God cannot lie!
Jews reject the words of Jesus they are NOT Christian! Jews do NOT believe Jesus is God!
52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

Christians are "Christ Followers"; The Anti-Christ is Anti-Christian he rejects Jesus is God! The Anti-Christ rejects the words of Jesus as lies!

[Christians are "Christ Followers"; The Anti-Christ is Anti-Christian he rejects Jesus is God! The Anti-Christ rejects the words of Jesus as lies!]

I would actually change that if I were you.... Scripture tells us in the letters of John if you dont believe Jesus came in the flesh you are not of God and have a spirit of the anti-Christ. Dont you believe that Jesus is God? Because that's not believing that Jesus came in the flesh..... Hebrews tells us that Jesus was just like us, esp in nature. Born like his brethren. But if he's God, how can he be like us? See my point?

Do you really understand why Jesus had to be like us? And not a God?

[Jews do NOT believe Jesus is God!]
Why would they?..... They never did, which is a good thing since Jesus is not God. There is only one God and...... the Lord Jesus. (John 17)
They are God's chosen people, they were never told that Jesus is God or would be God at any given time in the OT. They were never told that the coming Messiah was already here. Never.

Even Jesus said that he could do nothing without the father. That's a God to you? Wow.....

[Christians are "Christ Followers"; The Anti-Christ is Anti-Christian he rejects Jesus is God! The Anti-Christ rejects the words of Jesus as lies!]

I would actually change that if I were you.... Scripture tells us in the letters of John if you dont believe Jesus came in the flesh you are not of God and have a spirit of the anti-Christ. Dont you believe that Jesus is God? Because that's not believing that Jesus came in the flesh..... Hebrews tells us that Jesus was just like us, esp in nature. Born like his brethren. But if he's God, how can he be like us? See my point?

Why would they?..... They never did, which is a good thing since Jesus is not God. There is only one God and...... the Lord Jesus. (John 17)
They are God's chosen people, they were never told that Jesus is God or would be God at any given time in the OT. They were never told that the coming Messiah was already here. Never.

Even Jesus said that he could do nothing without the father. That's a God to you? Wow.....
How could the King of the Universe, Creator, the Eternal God become a man, demonstrate His love for us, humble Himself to even die for our sins, live and be tempted like us in every way yet without sin, rise from the dead, then after all that, fill every human being with His Spirit that makes a covenant with Him through Jesus. How will He give people eternal life? How could He do this and stay on the throne? How could a human being be the exact representative of the Eternal God and Creator?
He did this through His Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, both God, both Eternal. Discounting the lengths God went to redeem mankind by rejecting Him as God isn’t wise. Jesus receives worship from men, angels and all creation and is God in the flesh, Immanuel- God with us! Amazing!

Dogknox20

On Denying the Incarnation
1 John 4:4 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

moorea944

On Denying the Incarnation
1 John 4:4 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

That's the verse I was talking about. Do you really understand what it is saying? Plus, dont forget that your using words that the bible doesnt use, like incarnation. Why are you using it? It's messing you up my friend. And this has nothing to do with incarnation. Do you even know what that word means?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Sorry I was Not more clear. I was connecting the first prophecy of Genesis 3:15 (coming 'seed' singular) to what God promised Sarah at Genesis 21:12 (a singular seed) That promised 'seed' coming only through one son: Isaac.
True the word Messiah does Not appear until Daniel 9:25-26. ( Mashiach )
The "seed" in Genesis 3:15 refers to all of humanity, not one person. It is not a messianic prophecy.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It seems to depend on whether or not Joe or John sincerely wants to know God. God responds to the faintest flicker of faith, but faith must be cultivated through the living experience of trusting God's guidance. Faith is more than belief.
Yes, that I can buy.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The "seed" in Genesis 3:15 refers to all of humanity, not one person. It is not a messianic prophecy.
Thank you for your reply. I never heard the ^ above ^ before. That is a new thought to me.
I connect ' seed ' as singular as found at Galatians 3:16.........' thy seed, which is Christ.
The ' he '(Jesus) will bruise (as in crush) your (Satan's) head connects to Revelation 20:10 about the devil.
The 'he ' (Satan) will bruise him (Jesus) in the heel was Jesus' temporary death - Acts of the Apostles 3:15
A heel being a temporary wound, whereas a head wound being fatal.

True, 2,000 years passed 'after Adam til Abraham' who was promised about his 'seed' (singular) at Genesis 22:18
That assurance was passed down 800 years later to King David.
More than 4,000 years after David then Jesus (Messiah) appears - Luke 1:31-33; Galatians 3:16
What was announced in Genesis 3:15 climaxes in Revelation 19:11-15 Revelation 20; Revelation 21:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
URAVIP2ME
URAVIP2ME Words of Jesus.. Words of salvation.. 53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”......!

.... and I hope all is well with you and yours.
Yes, it is important ( a red letter calendar day ) to observe the remembering of Christ's death - Luke 22:19

To me it would be blind faith (credulity) to believe that Jesus was God.
Jesus' words are truthful when he truthfully answered the questioning Jews at John 10:36 that 'he is God's Son'.
God had No beginning according to Psalms 90:2
Whereas, pre-human Jesus had a beginning because John 1 wrote that "IN" the beginning was Jesus.
John did Not write that Jesus was ' before ' the beginning as God was ' before' the beginning - Psalms 90:2
So, only God was ' before' the beginning his being from everlasting.
Jesus being "IN" the beginning then was Not 'before ' the beginning as his God was 'before' anything else.
Even the resurrected Jesus at John 20:17 said he would ascend to his God.....
The ascended Jesus appears before the person of his God according to Hebrews 9:24.
The resurrected ascended-to-heaven Jesus finds himself along with his God - Revelation 3:12; Revelation 3:21

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.............. Jesus receives worship from men, angels and all creation and is God in the flesh, Immanuel- God with us! Amazing!

I find Jesus teaches to direct worship his God according to John 4:23-24.
Jesus gives credit to his God as being Creator at Revelation 4:11.
So, if someone 'worships' Jesus it is because they choose that but is Not what Jesus chose to say or have done.
Yes, Immanuel - Isaiah 8:10; Deuteronomy 20:1 B
As with Jesus, worshippers of God always desire God to be with them, on their side, backing them.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I grew up on the red lettered kjv :)
Then I suppose you know that when the KJV was translated into English to distinguish between LORD God and Lord Jesus, the KJV decided where the Tetragrammaton (YHWH) stood to capitalize the Tetragrammaton with all Upper-Case L-O-R-D letters.
- Psalms 110 is a good example about how the King James made that distinction.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Thats the one.
Credulity, blind faith, no questions asked, or its spoilt. The story has so many holes its laughable.

I find at Acts of the Apostles 28:4-6 that the people notice thinking that Paul had been bitten and they expected Paul to swell up. However, Paul was Not bitten but simply shook off (verse 5) that venomous serpent leaving Paul unharmed.

MyM

Then I suppose you know that when the KJV was translated into English to distinguish between LORD God and Lord Jesus, the KJV decided where the Tetragrammaton (YHWH) stood to capitalize the Tetragrammaton with all Upper-Case L-O-R-D letters.
- Psalms 110 is a good example about how the King James made that distinction.

See, the point is, Jesus never carried a book under his arm to tell people what to write down. He never told them to do so. The earliest now I believe of what they have found is to be close to 150 years AFTER Jesus. In finding those scripts, still doesn't give man the right to translate as they see fit. It shouldn't work like that. I will quote in the Bible that God is not the author of confusion but the Bible is just that, a very confusing ill-account of happenings that cannot be relied upon as the word of God. Many Christians believe that there are plenty of mistakes in the Bible. But they don't want to believe that there is anything other than it. They are afraid of the unknown. :)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.............. However, in the Garden of Eden, the snake tempted Eve, and that snake "might have been" the devil.

Yes, that Genesis ' snake in the grass ' proved to be Satan the Devil at Revelation 12:9; Revelation 12:12.
Sinner Satan could have merely used that serpent the same way a ventriloquist uses his dummy to speak to Eve.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
See, the point is, Jesus never carried a book under his arm to tell people what to write down. He never told them to do so. The earliest now I believe of what they have found is to be close to 150 years AFTER Jesus. In finding those scripts, still doesn't give man the right to translate as they see fit. It shouldn't work like that. I will quote in the Bible that God is not the author of confusion but the Bible is just that, a very confusing ill-account of happenings that cannot be relied upon as the word of God. Many Christians believe that there are plenty of mistakes in the Bible. But they don't want to believe that there is anything other than it. They are afraid of the unknown. :)
I k ow you dont like when others critique your belief in Islam and Allah, but why are you doing the same to others, and then it is ok?

If people wish to believe in any religious book they find true to them, should you not respect their beliefs as you ask others to respect your Muslim belief?

MyM

Yes, that Genesis ' snake in the grass ' proved to be Satan the Devil at Revelation 12:9; Revelation 12:12.
Sinner Satan could have merely used that serpent the same way a ventriloquist uses his dummy to speak to Eve.

In Islam, Adam ate from the tree, then Eve. :)

MyM

I k ow you dont like when others critique your belief in Islam and Allah, but why are you doing the same to others, and then it is ok?

If people wish to believe in any religious book they find true to them, should you not respect their beliefs as you ask others to respect your Muslim belief?

There is a difference of when someone gives a critique about something or when someone bashes and ridicules. I can't help it if what i say offends. I am not doing it to hurt anyone's belief. I am stating facts that the Bible has contradictions and in those contradictions say God doesn't make mistakes. That is something normal to do. Not just that, I see the Christians go all out and crazy on the board...what gives

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

I would say MANY so-called Christians (Matthew 7:21-23) believe there are plenty of mistakes in the Bible.
False clergy keep the flock in the dark and what the clergy often teach and what the Bible says often do not match.
That does Not make the Bible as mistakes, but mistakes the clergy of Christendom teach.
Or, as Jesus said they teach commands of men as doctrine - Matthew 15:9
Often teaching church customs or church traditions outside of Scripture but just being taught as being Scripture.
That is what is the No No.