1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a "higher power?"

Discussion in 'Theological Concepts' started by Quintessence, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,694
    Religion:
    Druidry
    The term "higher power" gets bandied about quite a lot in theological discussions. Although we might think we're all speaking the same language when we use that phrase, I'm skeptical of that based on personal observation.

What does "higher power" mean, exactly? Higher than what?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Storm

Storm ThrUU the Looking Glass

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    UU/ panentheist/ neopagan/ process theology
    It means "God" to the overly politically correct.

3. Gjallarhorn

Gjallarhorn N'yog-Sothep

Ratings:
    +970
    It's God for people too embarrassed to say God, or perhaps the lowest common denominator of God for people too sensitive to be disagreed with.

4. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    Why didn't I say that?

5. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver

Ratings:
    +12,694
    Religion:
    Druidry
    I'm assuming since you guys are putting god in proper case, you mean the one-god of the Abrahamics, yes?

6. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    No, I capitalize God no matter what, if any theology I happen to be referring to.

7. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver

Ratings:
    +12,694
    Religion:
    Druidry
    Gotcha. However, I would question the use of "higher power" as a synonym for god; there seems to be more to it than that. It seems more like a description. What does that description mean? Again, higher than what, exactly? =P

8. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    The description refers to Christianity, which as a hierarchical religion, describes God as above everything.

9. Gjallarhorn

Gjallarhorn N'yog-Sothep

Ratings:
    +970
    In any case, but the usual offenders are Abrahamic religions, at least in my experience.

10. idav

idav Being

Ratings:
    +3,292
    Religion:
    Pantheist
    It's a way of saying there is something greater without using the G word.

11. Infinitum

Infinitum Possessed Bookworm

Ratings:
    +420
    Religion:
    Left-Hand Path
    "Higher power" seems to be one of those terms with a pretty fuzzy definition. I take it that "higher" means something above or beyond what's normal, i.e. the supernatural. Then again this "higher power" seems always to have a will or whatever, so yeah, it pretty much sounds like a toned down name for god(s). It could also refer to destiny or karma, though.

12. ratikala

ratikala Istha gosthi

Ratings:
    +2,143
    Religion:
    Sanatana Dharma
    dear quintessence ,

the higher power ....
    higher than any thing or any other energy , ....the allmighty but not purely in the abrahamic sence, but above all theologies .

yet thre is a tendancy to say
    "a higher power" ...."higher powers" ...."the powers that be" which refers in a sence to powers that we do not understand but that govern us , my nana often said the "powers that be" allthough not overtly christian , she acknowledged unseen powers , we see them differently some see them as spirits , angels , or forces of nature , so in that respect there are many higher powers , but only one higher power that governs all that holds power over all spirits and forces of nature , the original power from which all powers draw their strength .

I dont know how often I use the term but it is something I would say when I am wanting to ellude to supreme greatness without using the word god , when god may have too theistic a conoteation for the person I am speaking to , when by saying god it would cause a person to close their mind , or to blaspheme .

• Like Like x 1
  13. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,407
    Religion:
    Mystics
    My understanding is that it's descriptive of an early ontological model of cosmos, specifically 1st or 2nd Century Greek. Man's conscious mind is like a mirror, reflecting reality (there is no "in the mind" for these Greeks, just a mirror); reality is what is so reflected, and as the reflection in the mirror is recognized as being less than the whole, the whole (diety) is what resides beyond each and any reflection. Diety is unaccessible, unknowable, and superior to reality; hence "superior" gets translated as "above" or "higher."

#13 Willamena, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  14. 1137

1137 | O.S. Co-founder
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,929
    Religion:
    Order of the Serpent
    I think it is mostly associated with God specifically, however that doesn't make total sense. For example, nature itself is a "higher power". I dare you to stare down a tornado.

15. Quagmire

Quagmire Imaginary talking monkey

Ratings:
    +9,474
    Religion:
    I am not an athiest.
    Problem is that most people's idea of "God" is dependent on a set of pretty narrow specifics that may or may not apply.

A lot of people consider Nature a/the God/Goddess.

16. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +9,474
    Religion:
    I am not an athiest.
    Higher than the self (which, I'm guessing, accounts for some of the more aggressive objections to the term. :D)

17. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +9,474
    Religion:
    I am not an athiest.
    Or perhaps it's meant to identify a large, orange, Penguin named Luigi. Hey, if we're going to answer the OP with a lot of uniformed guesses, might as well get creative.

18. AdityaMookerjee

Ratings:
    +6
    Words are actually an illusion. I don't experience any power, and it seems, it is a term. If God had power, can you experience it, other than when people speak of political power? I don't see political power, when people say it.

19. Gui10

Gui10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +13
    It means something not in this universe, that put the universe into place.

20. Orias

Orias Left Hand Path

Ratings:
    +398
    Religion:
    All of them and none of them
    Higher power refers to a level of recognition in which the subject at hand is placed into a highly respectable position.

With this comes a few things, the ability to achieve a title which essentially describes a notion of heroism or strength. And the ability to maintain a high level waves of energy frequently, which in turn is used to influence other devices which ultimately conclude in the domination of smaller groups of beings.

Power is something that is often referred to after one has displayed great might or influence over an opposing force.