• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a "higher power?"

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
The term "higher power" gets bandied about quite a lot in theological discussions. Although we might think we're all speaking the same language when we use that phrase, I'm skeptical of that based on personal observation.

What does "higher power" mean, exactly? Higher than what?

I looked at the title and thought to myself "self explanatory" ... something greater than ourselves, which includes a lot of things to be honest.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The term "higher power" gets bandied about quite a lot in theological discussions. Although we might think we're all speaking the same language when we use that phrase, I'm skeptical of that based on personal observation.

What does "higher power" mean, exactly? Higher than what?
My current understanding (it looks like I posted in this thread previously, years ago, but I do not remember what I posted and chose not to look quite yet) is that in most creed-related contexts a "higher power" is understood to be any hypothetical third party higher in authority, wisdom or perception than both oneself or one's interlocutors. The power part is a subtle yet effective insinuation that it would breach proper protocol to attempt to question that higher power's express will.

It is an interesting concept, existing at or near the intersection of legalist and supernaturalist expectations.

I would advise against using it, though. Precisely because it is either supernaturalistic or visiting the general area of supernaturalism. And it is never constructive to mix the social rule with supernaturalistic perspectives.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
My current understanding (it looks like I posted in this thread previously, years ago, but I do not remember what I posted and chose not to look quite yet) is that in most creed-related contexts a "higher power" is understood to be any hypothetical third party higher in authority, wisdom or perception than both oneself or one's interlocutors. The power part is a subtle yet effective insinuation that it would breach proper protocol to attempt to question that higher power's express will.

It is an interesting concept, existing at or near the intersection of legalist and supernaturalist expectations.

I would advise against using it, though. Precisely because it is either supernaturalistic or visiting the general area of supernaturalism. And it is never constructive to mix the social rule with supernaturalistic perspectives.

I always go back to the earth is/was flat to the discovery of it being spherical. It's good to question things in life, otherwise we cease to grow, develop, and learn. We end up stagnate, com placement, and stuck in a rut when we just accept the way things are. I like improvement in multiple areas. I mean if you can't, won't, and refuse to increase in life you're always gonna get what you've always got. Life is difficult, so I think it would be nice to make improvements.