• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a "higher power?"

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
The term "higher power" gets bandied about quite a lot in theological discussions. Although we might think we're all speaking the same language when we use that phrase, I'm skeptical of that based on personal observation.

What does "higher power" mean, exactly? Higher than what?

I think it's a sloppy misnomer. The forces behind reality is on a quantum level, so comparative to the "upper" levels, the higher power is actually lower. :)

Orias

Left Hand Path
If you could convey a clear, consistent, coherent, and meaningful description of what your particular opinion of what god is, you'd be the first that I've encountered.

Look at Stendarr, the God of Righteous Might and Merciful Forbearance.

I think when most people think of God, that can be applied.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
For me, my higher power is the most accomplished, polished version of 'me' I can envision. This vision of 'me' is a source of both (personal) focus and perserverance (and inspiration).
It calls and renews me to keep climbing- even when I am feeling tired and at my lowest. She calls me to rise up once again and keep ascending- on the upward incline- the magical path- of her becoming.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I think it's a sloppy misnomer. The forces behind reality is on a quantum level, so comparative to the "upper" levels, the higher power is actually lower. :)
Frubal!
The Tao is like water that flows down to the lowest point.

atanu

Premium Member
A higher power? I believe the phrase commonly refers to one's mother-in-law.

My illiterate boss is also a higher power. There is absolutely no doubt about that. He can put a rope through my nose and make me go around in circles on heaps of mustard to squeeze out mustard oil and then sell that oil.

atanu

Premium Member
The term "higher power" gets bandied about quite a lot in theological discussions. Although we might think we're all speaking the same language when we use that phrase, I'm skeptical of that based on personal observation.

Rig Veda in one of its sukta states that two birds permeate the same tree (body). One is desirous, hankering after things but never satisfied. This bird has no control. The other bird has no desire. It is the Seer. It is the higher power. When the desiring bird gets to view the higher bird, it is said, that all miseries end.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You're only trying to create a debate where none is needed. Go about your way.

You're new to RF, so I'll cut you some slack here, but the entire point of this forum is to discuss and debate religious topics. If anyone listened to such advice, we'd quickly have an empty forum with nothing to talk about! I'll also cut you some slack for quoting a post made in 2012 and practicing thread necromancy (to a point... please try to avoid this int he future).

Why do you think no discussion of this is warranted? Do you not agree that perception of "higher" is relative to the beholder and the perspective of reference and as such is a bit ambiguous in meaning?

kenhilton

You're new to RF, so I'll cut you some slack here, but the entire point of this forum is to discuss and debate religious topics. If anyone listened to such advice, we'd quickly have an empty forum with nothing to talk about! I'll also cut you some slack for quoting a post made in 2012 and practicing thread necromancy (to a point... please try to avoid this int he future).

Why do you think no discussion of this is warranted? Do you not agree that perception of "higher" is relative to the beholder and the perspective of reference and as such is a bit ambiguous in meaning?
Good day to you. I understand that I am new to this site. So far I have read a lot of comments, all of which are equally valid.
However, some of those comments read as questions that are anything but.
So many questions read as being passive agressive statements.
My concept of a higher power is my own. So in short it is very much relative to my own perception, which as with all persons, is a product of my life experience. That being the case, if individual perception is at the heart of this story, one can not disregard another's belief or opinion. To do so would be hypocritical.
Discusion is warranted. It is sad though when the parties involed are not in it to learn.
I am sorry for coming off in a bad way. I hope you have a good day.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
What does "higher power" mean, exactly?
I always think of it in the context of the Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meaning. I think they want a power in their lives to control their temptation and desire to drink since they have been unable to do it themselves. And it has to be higher, in the moral sense of the word.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
I always think of it in the context of the Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meaning. I think they want a power in their lives to control their temptation and desire to drink since they have been unable to do it themselves. And it has to be higher, in the moral sense of the word.
I think the term should only be used in that context

kenhilton

I am here to learn from others and to better understand other points of view. Are you reffering to temperance? I would like to hear more!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I look at "higher powers" as, higher then reality as we can directly observe it; while also remaining that it is a fundamental force of our existence (permeance). Religions give us various formulas to experience these/this power, through prayer, ritual or meditation.

wellwisher

Higher power means believing that there is something or someone who is above and beyond us; the ego. The good child will often places the parents in the role of higher power. This humble attitude of the child, makes it possible for them to learn and benefit from the life experience of their parents. If the child did not place the parents in the role of higher power, the child would doubt anything the parents say, including good information. They become more or less stuck as an ego, until they grab onto another higher power for learning; street gang.

Higher power has a ladder of hierarchy. The parents are the footing of the ladder. Beyond the parents, we enter the realm of the higher powers connected to cultural leaders and teachers, in all the various facets of culture. To a biologist, Darwin represents a higher power. If they did not accept him as a high power, they would not be able to learn about evolution. But since they humble themselves, they are open to learning, and build a foundation of thought connected to the sciences of life.

If we go further up the ladder, higher power may mean political and business leaders who control all the power and money. Even science has to depend on these higher powers. These people have something on the ball, to get to such a high place in culture, where they start to make choices for all. If we are humble, we may respect these leaders and learn from their ideas.

The highest power, at the top of the ladder, is God. This abstract concept, no matter how you color it; orientation, represents something beyond human. It is above the President, the richest man, the most beautiful woman, the fastest runner. Since this is theoretically above human, and therefore the super ego of culture; one will need to sacrifice not only their personal ego, but also their learned super ego, in favor of being open to a natural creative flux, that is more than ourselves, and the limits of temporal man.

This platform of thought is the foundation of all creative thought and all creativity, in general. If you have a new idea or new product, you become the higher power in a human sense, just below God. As long as you are humble to the highest power, this can occur in many ways; living spirit.The highest power is an abstraction that removes all glass ceilings, so the ladder has no top in sight.

A good analogy of the ladder is learning in school. We learn about the history of the Constitution. Our parents may teach us the basics. As we move up the ladder, teachers teach us, As we go further up, we have professors and people who write books. Ultimately, we reach a celling where we ask ourself, what is the real truth, and not the best temporal rendition of truth by the best expert. To go beyond that ceiling we would need to step out of time, and talk directly to Thomas Jefferson. This would requiring breaking the glass ceiling, called time. God is eternal and therefore, truth that is outside of time. Creativity is often just outside time in the immediate future but not all the way to eternity; timeless truth.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
"Where power predominates, there love is lacking." ;) If god is love, then the devil is the will to power...
jung love power.jpg

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Higher power is those that excel beyond supreme moral goodness. It is the Supreme Innocence that makes life worthwhile. That which brings peace, and hope to humans. I do not consider it God. I consider it the long road to attain supreme joy in life.

The higher power is a realization that lifts one beyond their selfish animal nature. It is the power of love; where one loves selflessly without any expectation of returns. Love is the reward! With love you get what you deserve. Without love you get miseries upon miseries. But its not about the getting. Its about the giving that needs be given. The power is in the desire to give what needs be given.

Last edited:

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Honestly, I hate that word. It's a pet peeve because it gets used by pseudo-religious types who are trying to host AA meetings, people who actually shun references to God because it might offend people who believe in false gods or who don't believe in gods/God, or by moral hypocrites. Typically "isn't it time to start devoting your life to a higher power?" or "belief in a higher power."

For example, I typed in "higher power" into the engine and the first two links have to do with addiction recovery. It's a wishy-washy term that that carries a bunch of connotations with people sitting in support groups afraid to use the word God because this is after all a psychology thing, and more importantly, it isn't really God you're talking about.

God forgives our sins, once we admit them. A "higher power" forces us to attend twelve step programs and shun foods or drinks that make us happy, rather than accepting ourselves and putting such things into perspective as lesser than God. Reasonable people who understand God's love forgive themselves for being drunk when they forgive themselves for the underlying cause of what's making them drink. Dysfunctional people spend their entire lives in recovery, unable to enjoy what they once did because a "higher power" tells them they are wrong.

Here's your "higher power", people. It's called the Accuser.

Last edited: