• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what i like about the Tea Party

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Have the uber rich succeeded yet in their attempts to coopt the Tea Party Movement?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The irony is that most of them have supported the very things that sent America in the wrong direction in the first place, and their proposed solutions would only serve to accelerate that decline.

I guess that answers my question, sort of.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Have the uber rich succeeded yet in their attempts to coopt the Tea Party Movement?

I guess you mean corrupt right?

I'm hoping they won't. You really have issues with the rich don't you?

I guess it all depends if the trickle we all are about to receive is warm or not. :p

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I guess you mean corrupt right?

Coopt as in take control of the Movement for their own ends.

I'm hoping they won't.

Same here. I much prefer the Movement to be of the people, by the people than to be a front for the large corporations and the uber-rich.

You really have issues with the rich don't you?

I have issues with those uber rich folk who Warren Buffett describes as having started a class war in this country. Don't you? Or do you approve of their having begun a class war in this country?

angrymoose

angrymoose
I think its funny to see the hippies and lefties upset that someone is protesting them and their agenda

Hi Trouble!!!

Several points:

1. Chomsky is a pretty radical member of the "left". Brilliant linguist yes.

2. Lots of people who supported health care have never been "hippies", supported "PETA" or any other stupid radical causes.

3. Chomsky's blaming American liberals was correct. I know a Tea Party person who was a single mother with a pre-existing medical condition and thus bad health care coverage. Obama's bill benefited her but she was convinced that there would be "medical death panels" around the corner.

4. The bail outs are not a left wing thing but a "centrist" move of desperation. Losing America's banking industry and its auto industry would be a horrible loss.

I don't think disagreeing with the tea party means you "hate freedom"; it should means you disagree with them. I agree its a response to a liberal president and a mostly liberal congress. :bow:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Coopt as in take control of the Movement for their own ends.

Same here. I much prefer the Movement to be of the people, by the people than to be a front for the large corporations and the uber-rich.

I have issues with those uber rich folk who Warren Buffett describes as having started a class war in this country. Don't you? Or do you approve of their having begun a class war in this country?

I'm sorry Phil, I just don't see it myself. Are many of the rich arrogant demanding buttholes? Sure they are. Myself, I don't care as long as their checks are good. I used to take their calls on weekends and many times it would ruin my mood all weekend. I now have two phones and turn the business one off. I must admit, I check my voice mail, but unless it is a true emergency, I just blow it off till Monday morning.

Declaring war on the middle class would be a stupid move on the rich folks part. They need us just as much as we need them, perhaps even more.

In slave times, the master did not declare war on his slaves. That would be stupid. Why would you not feed, clothe, and house your employees/slaves well?

That is how many rich folks look upon us. The only thing I can think of is my cattle. I get up and tend to them before I eat breakfast each morning. Back in pioneer days, if your mule was sick, you might starve. The farmer always put his animals first.

Now if the middle class declared war on the rich, that is a different thing all together. They will make an example of you in quick order to stop the resistance.

If someone is unproductive, the rich could care less about you. If you provide them some invaluable service, they want to keep you in their employ.

The best example I can give is CEO's. Many times, these are not the actual owners of the company. Remember rich folks don't want to be committed to a schedule or responsibility. They want the person they hire to act in their best interest and pay is performance based.

Take a look at unemployment. Four or five percent of the people don't want any job. That means that only about five or six percent are truly looking for work and cannot find it.

Businesses are doing fine without these folks. Business is doing more with less right now.

I would say the rich have declared war on unproductive people if truth be told.

Unproductive people are not much of a threat to anyone if you think about it.

gnomon

I'll be honest, I totally think the tea party people are completely wrong and mislead sleep following the path of the talk show radio lies.

In some cases, people are protesting policies that could conceivably benefit them because people with vested interests in said policies failing, know how to lie and misrepresent.

Now, lets be further fair and say, politicians on all sides have some measure of corruption and some measure of genuine valies.

Ok, so I'm unimpressed with the Tea party.

Why do I "like" them.

Well, we live in a democracy. People can fund politicians to do their bidding as much as they want but at the end of the day, they are accountable to the people. If you don't remember this, you can in theory suffer the consequences.

And, I respect that the tea party people, put their vote where their mouth is. I'd like them to be better informed perhaps but that's just me.

Democracy can work, if we make it work. The tea party people aactually proved this.

Here's what I think of the Tea Party.

It doesn't exist. It was nothing more than a handful of Republicans of a particularly extreme slant. The established Tea Party members, such as Michelle "Dumb as Brick" Bachmann, relied on an established Republican base to get elected. Newcomers, such as the ditz in a Northeast State whose name I've already forgotten (dabbled in witchcraft lady) didn't stand a chance because the established Republicans didn't care for them.

In a few years time the Tea Party will go the way of Ross Perot. A slight shake up but nothing more.

Most important note on my theory. Michelle Bachmann, one of the Tea Party supporters and one of the most profiled by the party, helped push the no earmark concept but is already working to push through earmarks by renaming them.

Same old crap.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm sorry Phil, I just don't see it myself. Are many of the rich arrogant demanding buttholes? Sure they are. Myself, I don't care as long as their checks are good. I used to take their calls on weekends and many times it would ruin my mood all weekend. I now have two phones and turn the business one off. I must admit, I check my voice mail, but unless it is a true emergency, I just blow it off till Monday morning.

Declaring war on the middle class would be a stupid move on the rich folks part. They need us just as much as we need them, perhaps even more.

In slave times, the master did not declare war on his slaves. That would be stupid. Why would you not feed, clothe, and house your employees/slaves well?

That is how many rich folks look upon us. The only thing I can think of is my cattle. I get up and tend to them before I eat breakfast each morning. Back in pioneer days, if your mule was sick, you might starve. The farmer always put his animals first.

Now if the middle class declared war on the rich, that is a different thing all together. They will make an example of you in quick order to stop the resistance.

If someone is unproductive, the rich could care less about you. If you provide them some invaluable service, they want to keep you in their employ.

The best example I can give is CEO's. Many times, these are not the actual owners of the company. Remember rich folks don't want to be committed to a schedule or responsibility. They want the person they hire to act in their best interest and pay is performance based.

Take a look at unemployment. Four or five percent of the people don't want any job. That means that only about five or six percent are truly looking for work and cannot find it.

Businesses are doing fine without these folks. Business is doing more with less right now.

I would say the rich have declared war on unproductive people if truth be told.

Unproductive people are not much of a threat to anyone if you think about it.

Unfortunately, I think Buffett is right, Rick. When you look -- not at generalities and philosophies as you have just done -- but at the specific actions of people like the Koch brothers or Pete Peterson, then I think you have to concede those uber-rich folks have declared war on the middle and lower classes. And I also think you have to agree with Warren Buffett that they are winning.

Alceste

Vagabond

Co-opt? Are you kidding? They created it.

Simply put, local Tea Party activism has consistently been focused upon partisan operations (such as canvassing), relying upon top-down transmission of messages that are tightly controlled (to the point where meeting attendees are instructed to the word what to say to those they canvass, with a script being provided by Tea Party organizers). This is hardly the stuff of a locally based, organic movement, which would be expected to cater less to the partisan wishes of the Republican Party, and which would seek real diversity of opinions and approaches. The striking uniformity of rhetoric and priorities at Tea Party meetings indicate that it is centrally directed by Republican operatives; it is not a manifestation of legitimate local rebellion.

Astroturf! Four Reasons Why the Tea Party is Not a Social Movementmedia-ocracy | media-ocracy

While promoted as a spontaneous "grassroots" movement, many of the activities of Tea Party groups were organized by corporate lobbying groups...

Reports indicate that the Tea Party Movement benefits from millions of dollars from conservative foundations that are derived from wealthy U.S. families and their business interests. Is appears that money to organize and implement the Movement flows primarily through two conservative groups: Americans for Prosperity and FreedomWorks.

In an April 9, 2009 article on ThinkProgress.org, Lee Fang reports that the principal organizers of Tea Party events are Americans for Prosperity and Freedom Works, two "lobbyist-run think tanks" that are "well funded" and that provide the logistics and organizing for the Tea Party movement from coast to coast. Media Matters reported that David Koch of Koch Industries was a co-founder of Citizens for a Sound Economy (CSE), the predecessor of FreedomWorks. David Koch was chairman of the board of directors of CSE.[2] CSE received substantial funding from David Koch of Koch Industries, which is the largest privately-held energy company in the country, and the conservative Koch Family Foundations, which make substantial annual donations to conservative think tanks, advocacy groups, etc. Media Matters reported that the Koch family has given more than $12 million to CSE (predecessor of FreedomWorks) between 1985 and 2002.[3][4]

Koch Industries has denied specifically funding Freedomworks or tea parties directly... Koch's director of communications did affirm, however, that the company funds Americans for Prosperity (AFP). TPM's Lee Fang reports that "AFP was founded in part by the company's Executive Vice President, David Koch. He is currently the chairman of the board of the Americans for Prosperity Foundation." [5][6]

Media Matters also lists the Sarah Scaife Foundation as having given a total of $2.96 million in funding to FreedomWorks.[7] The Sarah Mellon Scaife Foundation is financed by the Mellon industrial, oil, and banking fortune. [8]
The Claude R. Lambe Foundation, also controlled by the Koch family, has donated more than $3 million to Americans for Prosperity. [9]
Tea Party - SourceWatch

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The TEA party express has not even taken their seats yet and the Liberals are going crazy.

If a chimp with down syndrome tried to get behind the wheel of your nice sports car you wouldn't be happy about it either.

Face facts, 20% of the country has had their flash in the pan. Turn out the lights, the partys over.
I voted for Obama because he was the lesser of two evils, and am disappointed in his performance, but I'm still confident he'll still do less damage than what McCain/Palin would've done. And it's sad if only 20% care about our rights, liberty and equality. If that's true then maybe America deserves to go under.

I have had a good laugh at the many attempts to paint the TEA party as ignorant.
Point me toward the intelligence, I beg you.

The same could be said for Obama supporters who have yet to take responsibility for anything.
Example? Elaborate.

They still blame GWB. :facepalm:
You're still in denial about the colossal amount of damage he's done?

Two years and they still can't even get the truck out of the ditch? Move over you all and let the TEA party put the truck in 4 wheel drive! :p
Doing the exact same stuff that put the truck in the ditch in the first place is only going to get buried it deeper in the mud.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Not even upsetting the status quo?
Anything which threatens massive gov't spending, 2 foreign wars & higher taxes can't be all bad.

I'm not necessarily against higher taxes, but how do you figure the Tea Party threatened those other things? As far as I can tell, the Tea Partiers are the ones supporting the wars, and the only spending they want cut is "entitlements" as long as it's not their Medicare or Social Security.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I think its funny to see the hippies and lefties upset that someone is protesting them and their agenda, after they wear their political activism on their sleeves like a badge of honor. Its funny to see how they react with such savage hatred, calling the Tea Party names like 'racist' and 'nazi', and other such ad hominems, because they have no better argument.

Even the likes of Noam Chomsky cannot refudiate their position. He calls them 'crazy', and claims he could defeat their arguments easily but he simply chooses not to! Lmao! Even blames the left for the Tea Party's existence, saying its because the LEFT has not made their position clear enough, that the masses are simply responding to the only message they are hearing---which is coming from the right.

Yeah, sure, Noam. The real reason people are revolting against the status quo is the status quo SUCKS, and who is in charge? The left. Thats right, its the left who are driving the car into the ditch, and every time Obama said he was going to take us further left as a country, the dems lost more and more votes.

The Tea Party is a response to an out of control liberal congress and liberal president. Its nothing more than a return to sanity. If you dont like it is because you simply don't like free speech and hate freedom. Thats all there is to it.

Thanks for that steaming pile of drivel. Now, do you have anything a little less biased (like maybe an Ann Coulter quote), constructive, or maybe even informed to add?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Like what, make government stop spending like drunken idiots? Wow, what a radical idea which i am sure is going to destroy this country!
:rolleyes:

You don't seriously think that's the plan, do you? Have you been around at all? It would be great if they made government stop spending so much, but then they'd actually have to cut financing from the two unnecessary wars and/or programs like Social Security and Medicare. Are you saying you see any of those cuts coming from them?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I love it.

The TEA party express has not even taken their seats yet and the Liberals are going crazy.

I wouldn't exactly say we're going crazy. I'd say that's more just your hyperbole to make yourself feel better. What we're doing is criticizing the idiots who are going into government from the Tea Party.

Face facts, 20% of the country has had their flash in the pan. Turn out the lights, the partys over.

I have to assume you mean liberals. That being the case, when did we get our time? I thought we went right from Bush to Obama. I don't remember ever having a liberal time. It sure would be nice, though. Then you'd see some really good things happening.

I have had a good laugh at the many attempts to paint the TEA party as ignorant.

The same could be said for Obama supporters who have yet to take responsibility for anything.

They still blame GWB. :facepalm:

Two years and they still can't even get the truck out of the ditch? Move over you all and let the TEA party put the truck in 4 wheel drive! :p

Oh, the things you'll tell yourself to pretend you're right and the other side's wrong. It's sad really. Rick, there's a whole world out here. Come out and learn about it sometime.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The past year and a half. Haven't you been paying any attention?
Oh, but I have, Smurphie....I saw the name change, but it sure seemed like we were still there in a big way....you know, all the spending & death.
It looked at odds with White House press releases, so I discounted them. If you have info on troop reductions I asked for, I'll be glad to look at it.
I didn't catch it on NPR.

Last edited: