• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What I dislike about some of the posting habits here

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Other than that, when someone makes you clarify your points and justify them with specific referencing over about 12 posts then once you have done that they simply ignore what you have said and insist their unsubstantiated opinion was correct all along
I had to read this twice to get it all, but I do agree. You go through all the bother and you either get nothing in response or little more than "Pfffft. Says you!"

I also dislike people who simply repeat the word "strawman" when you discuss exactly the point that they raised.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There's really only one thing, and that's violating basic grammar and composition rules. That is a good way to keep me from bothering to read your post at all.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
There's really only one thing, and that's violating basic grammar and composition rules. That is a good way to keep me from bothering to read your post at all.

People who use camo-colored text. Makes me wonder what they're hiding.
sneaky-smiley-emoticon.gif

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I have less trouble with @Godobeyer and his imperfect English than posters who color their text green or brown or pink.
You are just making it hard for me to read without adding any information.
Tom
@Shadow Wolf @Norman
Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
This use to bother me as well until I realized that for some English is a second language, and others simply didn't pay attention in school. If the post is really bad and I don't care to wade through a lot of misunderstandings I'll just ignore it and go on.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Posters who debate like all buggery, then suddenly drop off when you're damn sure you've raised an inconsistency in their argument.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This use to bother me as well until I realized that for some English is a second language, and others simply didn't pay attention in school. If the post is really bad and I don't care to wade through a lot of misunderstandings I'll just ignore it and go on.

Yeah, that is true and I aim to keep it in mind. I suppose I should clarify that the things specifically with grammar/composition that particularly drive me nuts are more structural/aesthetic than anything else. This kind of stuff:

• Paragraphing. If I see text that uses strange paragraph conventions, or doesn't use paragraphing at all, my eyes start bleeding
  • Capitalization. If the text looks like someone forgot to turn off the caps lock key, or sprinkles words in all caps throughout liberally, my eyes also start bleeding and I also feel like I'm being yelled at for no good reason
  • Punctuation. Failure to use much punctuation, especially where it creates massive run-on sentences, borders on incomprehensible and wasn't worth the writer's time, much less mine in attempting to decipher it