• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Holds Some People back from admitting Homosexuality is OK?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Seriously? Why do some people continue to profess this idea that homosexuality is somehow unnatural or wrong? I've even seen so-called gay advocates do it. They'll say that they defend our right to be gay, and believe we deserve protection, yet they still call our sexuality wrong. Why is that? Is it deep rooted personal issues?

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
That's a hard question to answer across the board. Why does anyone believe anything?

I'm not interested in making everyone believe exactly as I do. I don't care if someone thinks homosexuality is a sin. So what? So we disagree.

What I DO care about is when people go out of their way to try and make it legal to discriminate against the gay community.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
For many people it is mostly a matter of not knowing how to deal with it. Not necessarily out of malice or hatred, but instead due to a strong attachment to traditional roles in family and society.

You will notice that quite often homophobes are the same people who have strong resistance to, say, having daughters who do not want to marry and have children of their own. They simply don't know how to act in such "deviations" from the path and roles that they have been taught as "proper".

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I believe it to occur naturally but I also believe it can be learned because of this it should be discouraged. Sex has a purpose, yes it is fun and very good exercise but it has a purpose.

If everyone learns to except Homosexuallity then we would die off as a race

No I am not Homosexual but I was single into my 30's and with the internet was tempted to try it several times actually setting up a date once but then never going, I do not believe I am the only person like this and some people actually go through with it. As long as it can be learned it should be discouraged.

Rainbow Mage

So you think that if people accepted homosexuality then everyone would suddenly come out as gay bob and kill off the human race? Is that what you're saying?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
So you think that if people accepted homosexuality then everyone would suddenly come out as gay bob and kill off the human race? Is that what you're saying?

You asked my opinion and I gave it. Sarcaism will not change it.

Rainbow Mage

Bob I wonder why you hold such an opinion. Obviously you feel that people accepting homosexuality would effect society negatively. If more people did come out after such a thing it would just mean they were gay to begin with, proving it's natural.

gruggle10

what is the purpose of homosexuality?can you gain any child by doing sex with the person which have same sex gender with you?or just to do it to fulfill your own desire?so for me,it is not ok..

Smoke

Done here.
If everyone learns to except Homosexuallity then we would die off as a race
You don't have to be gay to accept homosexuality. You don't have to be straight to reproduce. And the danger of the human race giving up breeding is extremely remote.

No I am not Homosexual but I was single into my 30's and with the internet was tempted to try it several times actually setting up a date once but then never going, I do not believe I am the only person like this and some people actually go through with it. As long as it can be learned it should be discouraged.
Yeah, many of the worst opponents of gay people are people who have been "tempted." People who are enthusiastically straight and secure about themselves rarely have so much of a problem, unless they're religious fanatics.

Rainbow Mage

Gruggle why does sex have to be about having children? It doesn't matter, because gay men are not attracted to women, so putting themselves in that situation is unfair to the woman and any children they may produce. It's all a lie. I love how people who oppose homosexuality always throw out the procreation argument without taking into account that being gay is not a choice.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Bob I wonder why you hold such an opinion. Obviously you feel that people accepting homosexuality would effect society negatively. If more people did come out after such a thing it would just mean they were gay to begin with, proving it's natural.

If you wish to ask questions I am fine with this. You will not like all my answers. Tolerance is a problem that I get when I respond to the gay community. They say they want me to be tolerant but as soon as I say something they don't like the label me a freak and curse me. If you are tolerant ask away and we shall see if we can teach each other something.

I hold this opinion because it is who I am. Homosexuality as promiscuity promotes disease with no benefit. If a person is homosexual the only people benefiting are the partners. Yes you can adopt or contribute great works to society but you can do this without homosexual relations. To be honest I believe homosexuality to be latent in all the humans. Scientists have come close to stating this. If this is the case then Homosexuality if accepted could spead to the entire human race.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
To be honest I believe homosexuality to be latent in all the humans. Scientists have come close to stating this.

Really? I've never heard that, but then again, I've never bothered researching it either.

I wouldn't be surpised if there was a sexual spectrum of sorts, and that human beings fall into different points along that spectrum.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Yeah, many of the worst opponents of gay people are people who have been "tempted." People who are enthusiastically straight and secure about themselves rarely have so much of a problem, unless they're religious fanatics.

Then it would make the most sense to try and understand them and learn what it is that could be done to convert them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I hold this opinion because it is who I am. Homosexuality as promiscuity promotes disease with no benefit. If a person is homosexual the only people benefiting are the partners. Yes you can adopt or contribute great works to society but you can do this without homosexual relations. To be honest I believe homosexuality to be latent in all the humans. Scientists have come close to stating this. If this is the case then Homosexuality if accepted could spead to the entire human race.

Thanks for stating what you think so clearly, Bob.

Let me comment a bit. Homosexuality is not a choice, at least not for the majority of people. Simplifying things just a bit, it just happens that some people are born heterosexual, while others are born homosexual and yet others are bisexual.

Except of course for bisexuals, sexual orientation can't really change significantly due to external encouragement. It's a bit like having a preference for people with a certain hair or eye color: quite arbitrary, but not really voluntary.

I am firmly convinced that homosexuality (and for that matter, bisexuality) are neither "diseases" nor wrong in any meaningful way. Nor can they really "spread". Sexual preference is not contagious - if it were, homosexuals would be far less common than they are, for most societies give them very strong incentive to behave as heterosexuals. It should also be noted that the offspring of homosexual couples does not show any particular inclination for (or against) becoming homosexual themselves, either.

I also happen to believe that there is no significant moral difference between homosexuals and heterosexuals (or bisexuals, for that matter). When push comes to shove, the differences are very few and have hardly any direct effect over anyone who is not in a relationship with them, anyway.

As I sometimes say, there is only one way to be quite certain if someone is homosexual - by asking if he or she had a good time :) - and only one reason to truly want to know - due to a personal interest in relating to that person.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Convert the religiously-motivated homophobes? That is pretty hard to do, you know.

Nothing is hard with time. I think also you miss understood disease. The disease is not homosexuality but aids and other sexual diseases.

To further my opinion. By others I have been called a prude. I am against promicuity and sexual expresions in public. Which clashes a lot with homosexual male display's. I am not against homosexuallity(it is natural) just against promoting it as acceptable standards in society.

Example if a person comes out they should not be discriminated because of it especially sense there is a negative towards it is society. It takes a person of great worth to admit they are homosexual. This is the way I want it though. I want only those with the most natural tendencies to only declare homosexuality.

I do not believe in bisexuality. Everyone is bisexual.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
People who try and discourage homosexuality need to pull their head out of their own backside.

1) god doesn't give a damn, he's got bigger problems, like trying to stop religions using him as an excuse to murder innocent people and eachother. With all that goes on internally in churches these days, its a wonder they can even be nothered making a mockery of something like 3% of the population.

2) homosexuality doesn't promote disease any more than having unprotected sex normally does, having seen such a distinction i'm concerned as to what planet some people live on. If people are safe there really is no harm in any form of sex.

3) the whole "sex for pleasure as a bad thing" really does confuse me. We are animals, we were born to enjoy sex, trying to control our human nature is detrimental to our existance. Why should we force ourselves to control our animal urges? Does it make us better people? Probably not.

I don't understand why homosexuality is even an issue. Theres nothing more pathetic and repulsive than religions and religious people trying to legislate what people do behind closed doors.

xxclaro

If you wish to ask questions I am fine with this. You will not like all my answers. Tolerance is a problem that I get when I respond to the gay community. They say they want me to be tolerant but as soon as I say something they don't like the label me a freak and curse me. If you are tolerant ask away and we shall see if we can teach each other something.

I understand your position but I'm curious about a few points. You state that homosexuality as promiscuity promotes disease with no benefit. This may be true, but the same could be said of heterosexual promiscuity-it spreads disease without benefit. So, we could say promiscuity is equally a problem in hetero and homosexuality.
What about someoine who chooses to remain single? They do not contribute children to society any more than homosexuals do,so are they equally as bad as homosexuals, if they are equally promiscous?
I'm also curious as to why you believe homosexuality to be latent in all humans. All evidence would suggest this is far from true,as homosexual relationships remain in the minority regardless of how well accepted they become in society. I've yet to read a study by any respected scientist stating anything remotely suggestive of this. A quick survey of your average society would quickly debunk any such idea,as most people have absolutley no interest in members of the same sex. Obviously you have different feelings, but not everyone has the same feelings and you can't assume everyone else feels like you. Almost everyone today has access to the internet and it's temptations, and few are finding themselves suddenly attracted to same sex relations. I highly doubr we are about to die off as a species due to rampant homosexuality. I'm quite willing to step up to the plate for the many lonely women wanting babies if it suddenly happens:yes: We're actually headed well in the other direction-overpopulation is a far greater concern than a die off.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
People who try and discourage homosexuality need to pull their head out of their own backside.

1) god doesn't give a damn, he's got bigger problems, like trying to stop religions using him as an excuse to murder innocent people and eachother. With all that goes on internally in churches these days, its a wonder they can even be nothered making a mockery of something like 3% of the population.

2) homosexuality doesn't promote disease any more than having unprotected sex normally does, having seen such a distinction i'm concerned as to what planet some people live on. If people are safe there really is no harm in any form of sex.

3) the whole "sex for pleasure as a bad thing" really does confuse me. We are animals, we were born to enjoy sex, trying to control our human nature is detrimental to our existance. Why should we force ourselves to control our animal urges? Does it make us better people? Probably not.

I don't understand why homosexuality is even an issue. Theres nothing more pathetic and repulsive than religions and religious people trying to legislate what people do behind closed doors.

1 I am atheist
2 I am against promiscuity as well protection has no bearing on it.
3 I never said sex for pleasure is a bad thing it just does not help anyone other than the person having it. Sometimes to the point of harming the other person invovled.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
1 I am atheist
2 I am against promiscuity as well protection has no bearing on it.
3 I never said sex for pleasure is a bad thing it just does not help anyone other than the person having it. Sometimes to the point of harming the other person invovled.

That post wasn't directed straight at you, i apologise if you think it was. Collectively, the points i made were some of the common arguements posted here over the last year. I find it quite amusing when people of faith talk as though if men have sex with men they will get AID's no matter the circumstances, quite shocking really.

Promiscuity is part of our nature. I'm not one for denying animal instincts. The churches have done well to try and convince us we're not actually animals, but one thing i've taken for modern satanism is 'who are we to deny our instincts?' Sex is nothing but healthy for us.

You speak as though sex is for the pleasure of one person and not two. Men and women enjoy sex just as much as eachother.