• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has your religion done to you?

Aqualung

Tasty
This thread is inspired by something jonny said in a different thread, that he doesn't know if he would be any different if it weren't for his religion. That got me curious: Has your religion done anything for you?

I think I would be different if I hadn't converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (sorry, but I just wanted to write out its full name :D). For one, I know that living in college with my already fairly deep-seated tendencies, I would be an avid partier. Well, maybe not "avid," but most I would most certainly find myself at a drinking party every weekend (even if I myself wasn't totally wasted). A second thing is that their (the mormon's) commitment to keeping the sabath day holy has helped me to schedule my life better so I don't have homework on sundays. I would probably have continued my procrastinator's tendencies. Thrid, I think this church has just mellowed me out (granted, not a lot, but I also haven't been around it for very long).

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
My walk is more important to me than my religion but I so feel blessed that I've discovered the charismatic approach to worship. It makes me feel so alive and I feel a deeper connection to Christ as a result. And just going to church and enrolling my daughter in their Academy has changed our lives for the better...it's easier to keep our focus where it needs to be...on Jesus Christ. :)

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
My religion has made me more aware of people's feelings
I dont seem to be able to follow one path, so its made me open minded... which is always a good thing I feel.​
To be honest I feel happy where I am right now too, thanks to my religion/mixed beliefs.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
My religion, has made me... allowed me to become humble. More compassionate. And has allowed me to love. Shown me how to love. Taught me there is good in everyone and to love everyone. And has taught me that material possessions are worthless. What's important is not what you own, but to be your own... person. To have the courage to explore other beliefs and not to be just a sheep. :jam:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
My beliefs have made me a better person than I thought possible of myself. I have always been giving, patient, and sensitive to others. (I dont have a big ego I promise) However, Gnostics have allowed my soul to come alive, and for a moment or so, I get a glimpse of how beautiful the world truly is. For that, I owe everyone around me the love and compassion that this belief has bestowed upon me, at least. It has healed me in a sense... It has taught me to see the potential in everyone to become more than lemmings, and that beauty is everywhere. (i'm sure i'm restating what i already said) I just wish i could share the happiness I feel in my heart with every one of you.

standing_on_one_foot

Hmm...my culinary life would be greatly diminished (matzoh ball soup, man). I wouldn't have the same friends (since I met a lot of my friends at Hebrew school when I was but a wee little kid, and a lot more at Jewish camp). I might not be as thoughtful, but mostly it's the community and culture that I'd lose. Some of the religous ideas about human nature and relationships and choices and so on I've got from my religion, but I honestly don't know how different they'd be.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Lots of stuff with religious elements has helped me. Most significant has to be meditation and Tai Chi Chu'an. Through practicing those all manner of neurotic hang ups and health problems that seemed irreversible have cleared up. Relations with others have improved in ways I couldn't have imaged too. The icing on the cake is that some things that I've experienced have given me a sense of inviolable beauty, the backbone I need to face ugliness in the world & myself without being overwhelmed.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I don't think my Religion has done anything to/for me; I think my link to God existed before I worked out what I believed - just to fit in with what was 'instinctive'.:)

jonny

I really don't know how my personality would be different if I were not raised LDS because I have not idea as to whether or not my parents would teach me the same values.

I do know that my life would be completely different if it were not for the church. For one, I would not have attended Ricks College and BYU, which are universities run by the LDS church. Also, I would not have gone on a mission. These experiences account for seven years of my life. Who knows what I would have done with those seven years.

What has my religion done for me? First, it has given me a purpose in my life. This purpose is largely centered on my family. Also, it has given me hope that things will turn out good in the end. It has given me experiences that are so personal that I wouldn't share them with a living soul. At the same time I have had experiences and knowledge that have made me so happy that I spent two years sharing with everyone I could. I really feel that it has given me strong morals and high standards. It has also taught me commitment and how to work hard. Finally, my religion has taught me to view others as God would see them. This has dramatically improved my relationships with people I meet.

I'm sure there's lots of other stuff, but that's all I can think of right now.

Bishka

Veteran Member
It has done a lot, I know that if I wasn't LDS, then I would probably be pregannt, barefoot, unmarriede and doing drugs/alcohol, etc. That's just my personality, I've been kept on the straight and narrow by very loving parents and a wonderful gospel.

John Debaptist

My religion is the religion of the Bible. I have learned that the Sabbath Saturday is the true day of worship, I have learned that Jesus is coming from Outer-Space and that he will resurrect his people who have died and he will transform the bodies of those of us who are alive at his second coming.

We shall meet him in the air just as stated in 1 Thessalonians 4:16,17 . I have learned to be in a personal relationship with my Creator. I have learned that God is a duality consisting the Father and the Son. I have learned that the Holy Spirit is Jesus himself. I have learned that dead people are asleep and that they are awaiting the resurrection from the dead either for eternal life or eternal separation from God. I have learned that demons impersonate dead people as well as Aliens. I have learned that UFO beings are fallen angels not aliens from Outer Space.

I have learned that Jesus real name in hebrew is Yeshua. I have learned that Jesus revealed himself in the Old testament as the Angel of the LOrd. Jesus appeared to Moses as the Angel of the Lord Exodus 3. I have learned that great changes are coming to this world and the prophecies of the book of revelation are about to be fulfilled.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
John Debaptist said:
My religion is the religion of the Bible. I have learned that the Sabbath Saturday is the true day of worship, I have learned that Jesus is coming from Outer-Space and that he will resurrect his people who have died and he will transform the bodies of those of us who are alive at his second coming.

We shall meet him in the air just as stated in 1 Thessalonians 4:16,17 . I have learned to be in a personal relationship with my Creator. I have learned that God is a duality consisting the Father and the Son. I have learned that the Holy Spirit is Jesus himself. I have learned that dead people are asleep and that they are awaiting the resurrection from the dead either for eternal life or eternal separation from God. I have learned that demons impersonate dead people as well as Aliens. I have learned that UFO beings are fallen angels not aliens from Outer Space.

I have learned that Jesus real name in hebrew is Yeshua. I have learned that Jesus revealed himself in the Old testament as the Angel of the LOrd. Jesus appeared to Moses as the Angel of the Lord Exodus 3. I have learned that great changes are coming to this world and the prophecies of the book of revelation are about to be fulfilled.
Hey John, they're some very interesting beliefs you have there. I take it you are not a member of any church organisation, but have come to these conclusions from your own study of the bible?

I have one question, what do you mean be the dead being asleep? I mean their bodies either rot or are cremated. Do you believe their bodies are restored or that they are given new ones?

I have learned that Jesus real name in hebrew is Yeshua.
Yes, and the Johns were actually called Yohanan, Thomas was called Yehuda Toma, Mary was Miryam, Peter was Shimon Kefa etc etc. I don't know why they couldn't have just left in the original names. :eek:

My religion has told me that i,m different from Animals and other creatures!

that i Must answer soon for any movement coz i,m the only creature that can choose.
So when i choose i should have a reason.
So when i have a reason,its wrong or its right!
So if its wrong i should taste the punishment coz my lord gave me a complete Brain that can analyze things and supported it with prophets.
He sent prophets for me to show my brain the right way and to tell me that where the wrong way goes!
and if my choice is right i will have rewards...coz i understood why i,m alive before i die!

My religion told me to not live only formyself coz human is created for society.
he told me that if i live in a bad place,a place that the ppl in it have lost the way, i should try to show the truth that he showed me....if i dont do that then i,m like them!

My religion said that i,m not only mad of body...i have a soul that needs food.
And the kind of the food will be relative to the chioce i do...my soul grows with right decisions and it come down when i do wrong.....

and go on!
My religion told me ,at last, that there is only one short way to God. and other ways are wrong or hard!
and ....(my religion has played everything in my life)!
Sorry 4 the english mistakes
And God bless u all
~Mohammad

joeboonda

I do not believe in religion. I have a relationship with Jesus Christ. This relationship has given me assurance that I will go to Heaven since Christ paid my sin debt, and gives me great hope, as I believe that if, yes if, I die, to be absent from the body is to be, BAM, present with the lord. For me to live is Christ, to die is gain. I believe in the pre-tribulation rapture, that it is imminent and could occur in my life-time, which is what we call our 'blessed hope'. So, knowing Jesus loves me so much, I have sought to become more like him, follow his ways, and with the help of the Holy Spririt, and the Word of God, etc., I am slowly growing in grace. Knowing my personality, if I were not saved, I would probably be dead or close to it. I am kinder and more patient with people as a result. God's love and grace and mercy are so great, to die for a sinner such as me, it gives me an attitude of grattitude, and a purpose, and a reason for why I am here.

My religion has helped me find peace. I now know where I stand.....who my gods and goddesses are.....who my friends and family are.......and who I am. Yes, there are always going to be problems, strife, and conflict, but my faith helps me overcome them all.

ashai

Ushta All

This is easy. tThe Good Religion has made me happy, assured, self reliant, apreciative of all things , relaxed, fulfilled, caring, selfless and pro-active!

Its great to have God as your soul mate!!

Ushta ve
Ashai