• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Happens When We Die?

I just got to thinking, what exactly happens to us after we die? I don't mean our bodies. What I mean is, what happens to our "soul" after we die? Do you think it goes to Heaven or Hell? Do you think it gets reincarnated until we achieve Nirvana? Or do you think nothing happens? Or something else? Please put what you think below and possibly an explanation if you feel motivated enough to do so. Thank you!

InChrist

Free4ever
I just got to thinking, what exactly happens to us after we die? I don't mean our bodies. What I mean is, what happens to our "soul" after we die? Do you think it goes to Heaven or Hell? Do you think it gets reincarnated until we achieve Nirvana? Or do you think nothing happens? Or something else? Please put what you think below and possibly an explanation if you feel motivated enough to do so. Thank you!
I believe in Jesus so I have confidence that I will be resurrected to eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
John 11:25

These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. 1 John 5:13

What happens after death?

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Well, I go by the Bible. Does it say that we “have” souls? That we’re “given” a soul? Or that we ourselves are souls? @ Genesis 2:7, where God creates Adam, it says, Adam became a living soul. Not that he was ‘given’ one. He was a soul. We are souls. Very different than what most churches teach, unfortunately.

Now, here are some Scriptures to contemplate:

Genesis 3:19.... (did God say to Adam, ‘your body will return to the ground’ or did he say “you”?)

Ecclesiastes 9:5... (I ask, when people speak of “the dead”, do they mean “the bodies” or “the people” they knew? The people, right? So, the people who die, “they” are aware of nothing!)

Psalms 146:3-4.

John 11:11-14.

But don’t let this worry you, the Bible talks about a Resurrection (Daniel 12:2; John 5:28-29), at a later time (John 6:40), for our dead loved ones. For us, too, of course.

Gotta go; if you’d care to discuss this later, we can. There are other Scriptures relating to the subject, for sure!

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
For me, nothing happens. The things postulated as any form of afterlife make no sense, to me, and I don't believe in the existence of any soul. But I should take precautions anyway perhaps - such as providing a list of excuses for my previous bad behaviour - not that this will likely excuse anything - one can but pray. :praying:

PS. I think I have said this before such like it seems like an old 45 being played - time to move on to the LPs perhaps. :D

Last edited:

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

It makes sense that the universe is a program being run by a giant quantum computer. Every quantum event, including brain synapse firings, is recorded. Any conscious entity program could be played back, and that has special meaning for fully self-aware entities, which we could call souls.

The universe is suspended "in" an ether that some are calling quantumland, which is non-local--that is, timeless and distanceless or locationless. The universe has a limit to the division of both distance and time call Planck distance and Planck time. They are incredible small, but quantum entities can apparently pass through these into quantumland and complete actions and show up anywhere else back into the universe instantly. My theory is that our soul programs maintain a backup or twin in that non-local, timeless quantumland, which of course, being timeless, survives our physical death in the universe.

I assume there's an overall consciousness there, God, which initiated the Big Bang birth of the universe.

What's it like in quantumland? I have no clue, but it must be desirable. What happens to us when we die? There would be no devil and no hell, which are the fabrications of sick, sadistic minds. We judge ourselves there, bathed in the undeniable light of Truth, where everyone can see the program of what and who we were. Those who were evil or wasted their time here, can mercifully opt out for oblivion to avoid the hellish, if you will, anguish. For those who pass the free will test in this life, I can only imagine experiencing the intimate social unity of countless individuals, each contributing to the experience, united in a one, whole Truth--quantumland could rightly be called heaven. Imagine a septapajillion souls uniting in a song and dance...as One.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What I mean is, what happens to our "soul" after we die? Do you think it goes to Heaven or Hell? Do you think it gets reincarnated until we achieve Nirvana? Or do you think nothing happens? Or something else?
Soul is fiction. So also God/heaven/hell. No such things exist. Reincarnation, if you term the chemical cycle that the constituents of the body go through, then yes. Every atom becomes the part of a new system. That is what happens. Nirvana is understanding of this process in life.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Soul is fiction. So also God/heaven/hell. No such things exist.

That statement itself is fiction since you offer not basis for it. It's nothing but an unfounded declaration. I agree that there is no hell, but you don't offer any of the reasoning behind it, which I could BTW.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
After we die, various things continue to happen to our bodies, but none of them includes brain activity, let alone awareness, memory, sense of self or personality. Since those functions are only found in live brains, nothing remains to be accounted for.

Jumi

I suspect that whatever is left is no longer "human".

We(people capable of reading RF) experience a lot during our life. Our personalities change, the more time passes the more we change. What doesn't?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
My view? Whatever 'soul' there is (and I have never seen a satisfactory definition of the term) dissipates just like the flame of a candle that is blown out.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't believe in a Heaven or Hell. I believe these are concepts created by humans in an attempt to control behavior, sort of like the concept of getting either gifts or coal in your stocking on Christmas, only on a more grandiose scale.

In my view, the Self, what you may referring to as "soul," is immortal. It existed in (as) Absolute Reality before temporal existence began, and will continue to do so after this temporal existence ends. Whether or not a subsequent temporal existence will be experienced is a choice made by the Self.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

After my aunts death three months ago, the turning point for me is there is no afterlife. We die. Our spirit or soul is part of this body; its alive in this body; it is the Life of this body. When there is no body, there is no soul for it to inhabit. Its not a ghost floating around. As soon as we are conceived, we have a spirit; we are.

I found out I dont believe in rebirth. Heaven and hell does not exist. We just need to learn how to be comfortable with not living anymore. Im more afraid of how I will die not death itself.

Last edited:

Foxic

I do not believe in the "soul". Rather, I believe our "consciousness" fades to nothingness when we die.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That statement itself is fiction since you offer not basis for it. It's nothing but an unfounded declaration. I agree that there is no hell, but you don't offer any of the reasoning behind it, which I could BTW.
You said in a previous post: "My theory is that our soul programs maintain a backup or twin in that non-local, timeless quantumland, which of course, being timeless, survives our physical death in the universe. I assume there's an overall consciousness there, God, which initiated the Big Bang birth of the universe." I did not see much proof offered.
I have heard that when a person dies, brain activity is still present for a time.. So, I think you will know what is happening to you when you die.
That is right,Savagewind. Brain tries to preserve its supply of oxygen. Motor and pain centers are shut off. Close to death pain will cease. Then senses (hearing, seeing, smell, touch) go. Thinking is the last thing to go. That is why dying people experience hallucinations.
We just need to learn how to he comfortable with not living anymore. I'm more afraid of how I will die not death itself.
Many a times death comes quickly and peacefully, sometimes not so. Why be afraid of it when it may not be imminent? Why live in fear? Enjoy, savor life. When it will come, it will come. Worrying about it does not change anything.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You said in a previous post: "My theory is that our soul programs maintain a backup or twin in that non-local, timeless quantumland, which of course, being timeless, survives our physical death in the universe. I assume there's an overall consciousness there, God, which initiated the Big Bang birth of the universe." I did not see much proof offered.That is right,Savagewind. Brain tries to preserve its supply of oxygen. Motor and pain centers are shut off. Close to death pain will cease. Then senses (hearing, seeing, smell, touch) go. Thinking is the last thing to go. That is why dying people experience hallucinations.Many a times death comes quickly and peacefully, sometimes not so. Why be afraid of it when it may not be imminent? Why live in fear? Enjoy, savor life. When it will come, it will come. Worrying about it does not change anything.

If you get into a car accident and have severe pain, you'd wonder How you will die. The automatic human reponse to pain and pleasure (like the arrow who shot one of The Buddha's students in his analogy) will hurt. There is mental and physical fear when its related to physical and mental pain; thats natural.

Being comfortable with death is not asking: who shot me, what is death like, whats in the afterlife. It means you are mentally prepared to die in peace.

Anyone regardless their age can prepare themselves mentally of dying. We usually start doing so here in the states early. But not many are prepared how they will die. I woke up fine one day and five years later I woke up half blind. We live in a state of not-knowing. No destination-no heaven, no reoncarnation, no moska, no afterlife; just this life.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

We preserve all our own experiences and knowledge to the extent we can, I see no reason to believe that God would chose to discard it.

Faithofchristian

I believe in Jesus so I have confidence that I will be resurrected to eternal life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
John 11:25

These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. 1 John 5:13

What happens after death?

If I may ask, If you believe in Jesus Then why do you think you need to be resurrected to eternal life?
When you haved already been resurrected to have eternal life with Christ Jesus in his kingdom.

Do you under the difference between
The Resurrection of the living.
And the Resurrection of the dead.

Do you under what it means, Resurrection of the living, Who exactly are the living ?

And what does it means, Resurrection of the dead, Who exactly are the dead ?

If you go to the book of Genesis 3:20, You will find, Adam called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.

You have two groups of people that are in the world.
One group representing the living.
And the other group representing the dead.

The living are those, who believes in Christ Jesus and God, They are what is called in the bible, scriptures, The Spiritual living.

The dead are those, Who do not believe in Christ Jesus or God, that they have no awareness of Christ Jesus or God.
They are what is called the Spiritual dead.

These are those that Jesus referred to in the book of Matthew 8:22--"But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead"

This being those people who disbelieve in God are the dead, So let the dead bury their dead.

Seeing you believe in Christ Jesus and God, then you are considered the Spiritual living.

Seeing that Eve is the mother of the living.
That means Eve is your mother, but Eve is not the mother of the Spiritual dead. But of the Spiritual living,that believes in God and Christ Jesus.

Last edited: