• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the Islamic teaching say about how a woman should dress?

Shakeel

If men know it is wrong, at least fewer women will become raped. Will it stop totally just by men understanding that it is wrong? Not it will not. But There is a problem that some men do not see women as human beings, they see them as property and as a tool.
Everybody knows rape is wrong. Even psychopaths know rape is wrong. Again, what will you do about the future victims of the remainder - other than insinuate Islam is the reason rape happens?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Everybody knows rape is wrong. Even psychopaths know rape is wrong. Again, what will you do about the future victims of the remainder - other than insinuate Islam is the reason rape happens?
I have not said Islam is the reason for rape happens, Som men are the reason for rape. Islam as a religion has nothing to do with people getting rape. only people cause pain to other people.

Shakeel

I have not said Islam is the reason for rape happens, Som men are the reason for rape. Islam as a religion has nothing to do with people getting rape. only people cause pain to other people.
Yes, "some men".

Those men who "treat women as property" and make them wear those "degrading veils" and "don't let them go out and have fun". Mormons?

syo

I didn't watch the video. The Quran is right, though. As for the question, I don't know. But I am female and I wish I could wear burqa, here in greece. But if i wear burqa here i'll become a target. :( Can't i wear whatever i want???

firedragon

Veteran Member
I didn't watch the video. The Quran is right, though. As for the question, I don't know. But I am female and I wish I could wear burqa, here in greece. But if i wear burqa here i'll become a target. :( Can't i wear whatever i want???

I didnt know that.

firedragon

Veteran Member
If men know it is wrong, at least fewer women will become raped. Will it stop totally just by men understanding that it is wrong? Not it will not. But There is a problem that some men do not see women as human beings, they see them as property and as a tool.

Brother. Lets not make assumptions about rape. Just a request, though you are mostly right. There are mainly two theories about rape and rapists. One is its a psychological problem of the rapist and their power struggle. You can read up on Groths typology to understand that much further. That is based on real life research, not assumption. The other theory is its an evolutionary composition.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Brother. Lets not make assumptions about rape. Just a request, though you are mostly right. There are mainly two theories about rape and rapists. One is its a psychological problem of the rapist and their power struggle. You can read up on Groths typology to understand that much further. That is based on real life research, not assumption. The other theory is its an evolutionary composition.
Sorry if my words come forth as an assumption, that was not my intention. And I do not want to blame anyone in my replies.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Sorry if my words come forth as an assumption, that was not my intention. And I do not want to blame anyone in my replies.

I believe, you can tell others the same thing brother. Do you understand? Tell people not to make assumptions about rape, why people rape, how to do this that and the other. Because in my opinion rape is one of the biggest sins and one of the most dangerous, damaging and monstrous crimes to do. Generally men and even some women tend to make a lot of nonsensical assumptions about rape and predominantly most of them blame the women.

Not you. You are a true human being and sensitive. So when I say these thing I am not talking about you, I am telling you to tell others this because its truly worth it.

Please read Groths typology when you have some time. I am pretty sure you will be able to understand it, and other people will listen to you.

Peace.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I believe, you can tell others the same thing brother. Do you understand? Tell people not to make assumptions about rape, why people rape, how to do this that and the other. Because in my opinion rape is one of the biggest sins and one of the most dangerous, damaging and monstrous crimes to do. Generally men and even some women tend to make a lot of nonsensical assumptions about rape and predominantly most of them blame the women.

Not you. You are a true human being and sensitive. So when I say these thing I am not talking about you, I am telling you to tell others this because its truly worth it.

Please read Groths typology when you have some time. I am pretty sure you will be able to understand it, and other people will listen to you.

Peace.
Thank you for your advice @firedragon I will certainly look into Groth's typology, Even before I start searching it sounds interesting to me :) If I do understand it when I read, there might be reason for new OP from my part

firedragon

Veteran Member
Thank you for your advice @firedragon I will certainly look into Groth's typology, Even before I start searching it sounds interesting to me :) If I do understand it when I read, there might be reason for new OP from my part

Brother, you will definitely understand. This is because I am sure you are a person who can make a difference. I mean in your personal life, not just on this forum.

InvestigateTruth

Looking, harassing, rape, incest, slander.. to name a few.
Maybe women who wear erotic cloths, and go in wrong places, and get drunk, attract more rapist, or get harassed.
But according to which source, if a woman wears modest dress, she has a higher chance of getting harassed or raped?

InvestigateTruth

How does that defend women against rape though? How do you make all men act like that? It's never going to happen, right? So what about those other men, who choose to rape someone? How will you protect women from those? By saying, "he shouldn't have done that"?

By the way, it isn't usually about urges at all so even if all men controlled their sexual urges completely in themselves, that wouldn't make an end for rape.
The Law punishes rapists men, so, when they know there is a significant consequence, they won't do it most likely.

Shakeel

Maybe women who wear erotic cloths, and go in wrong places, and get drunk, attract more rapist, or get harassed.
But according to which source, if a woman wears modest dress, she has a higher chance of getting harassed or raped?
That's not my argument. I'm saying hijab protects women.

firedragon

Veteran Member

This could have small truth in it, but it's largely a myth. I know some Muslims make this claim to promote their ideology about women and how they should be controlled, but this is proven false.

InvestigateTruth

See how well that's working out in the world?
I know that still there are rape cases, but if there was no punishment Law, there were a lot more cases.
But I agree, the real solution is spiritual and moral education for mankind, so, they are changed from within.

Now I noticed in some Muslim countries they don't punish rapist men as they should because they blame the woman saying she was not wearing a proper Hijab, so it was her own fault and deserved it! That's dangerous now!

InvestigateTruth

This could have small truth in it, but it's largely a myth. I know some Muslims make this claim to promote their ideology about women and how they should be controlled, but this is proven false.
Ok Then, what's the real reason, Quran asks for Hijab? Or you say it doesn't?