• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you make of God/s

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To me there is only one Truth which has been given different names in different cultures at different times. People react to these names and the human attributes attached to them in various ways.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And what is that Truth
I like the answer given by Daniel Ladinsky's rendering of a poem of Hafiz, the sufi Perfect Master:

I have a thousand brilliant lies
For the question:

What is God?

If you think that the Truth can be known
From words,

If you think that the Sun and the Ocean

Can pass through that tiny opening Called the mouth,

O someone should start laughing!
Someone should start wildly Laughing –Now!

From “I Heard God Laughing: Renderings of Hafiz”

BSL

Atheist God
I like the answer given by Daniel Ladinsky's rendering of a poem of Hafiz, the sufi Perfect Master:

I have a thousand brilliant lies
For the question:

What is God?

If you think that the Truth can be known
From words,

If you think that the Sun and the Ocean

Can pass through that tiny opening Called the mouth,

O someone should start laughing!
Someone should start wildly Laughing –Now!

From “I Heard God Laughing: Renderings of Hafiz”
Is there a Sufi specification for that. Very vague.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Believer/Non-believer, what do you make of the God/s that you know of or pray/ed to

Egyptian-
Greek-
Roman-
Jewish-
Christian-
Islamic-
Dharmic-
Pagan-
Other-

Me, as a polytheist (of the henotheist variety), I give em all the green light. Though, the ones I focus on will depend on the cultural context in which I find myself immersed. I adapt to it, I blend in, I syncretize. No fuss from my end.

Since I live in a Christian community, my pantheon takes that form, my personal beliefs and practices would blend with those of Christianity. If I lived in Japan, my pantheon would take a Shinto (and/or Buddhist) form, my personal beliefs and practices would blend with that. Any other culture, same thing.

Last edited:

BSL

Atheist God
They are deeply symbolical, and useful in focusing certain mindsets, values and emotions.

I don't think there is ever a serious implication that they must "exist" as such.
If they don't exist, where do you think they got the notion from

BSL

Atheist God
Me, as a polytheist (of the henotheist variety), I give em all the green light. Though, the ones I focus on will depend on the cultural context in which I find myself immersed. I adapt to it, I blend in, I syncretize.

Since I live in a Christian community, my pantheon takes that form, my personal beliefs and practices would blend with those of Christianity. If I lived in Japan, my pantheon would take a Shinto (and/or Buddhist) form, my personal beliefs and practices would blend with that. Any other culture, same thing.
Henotheist .. that's a first

The Holy Bottom Burp

The notion of creating gods?

I am no expert, but it seems to be a natural, possibly neurological tendency of human beings.
I've no real interest in individual deities tbh, there are so many variants, and none of them can be demonstrated to exist, after a while it is a bit like trying to value different spam emails, they all come under the category of "junk". The talk of different deities put me in mind of this....
It's funny, but watch it through, it is also remarkably poignant. :) I think the belief in deities can be easily explained, we have an inherent desire to make sense of the reality we experience, in days gone by we didn't have the tools we have today to explore reality, we basically had our five senses and that's it. It is quite understandable that people invented powerful entities to explain existence, it is quite understandable that those deities were often angry unforgiving types, because life was hard (and usually short) in ancient times. A tad depressing that people still flock to religion in educated first world countries, when we have come this far, with so much human achievement and advancement? I tend to think so.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
people don't want to die so they invent warrior ******** that take care of everything.

and they invoke righteousness, and damnation, so nobody mess with them.

The Abraham God is a lot of psychobabble.