• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you make of God/s

BSL

Atheist God
people don't want to die so they invent warrior ******** that take care of everything.

and they invoke righteousness, and damnation, so nobody mess with them.

The Abraham God is a lot of psychobabble.
Yeah, but what do you think is the source of the heaven and hell psycho babble

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Is there a Sufi specification for that. Very vague.
That poem expresses ineffability, that God's nature cannot be reduced to words. That idea is expressed in sufism, Judaism, Hinduism and so forth.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Is there a name for that in Sufism. Judaism.
I'm not sure what you're asking. People from various traditions have written about the ineffable. This is one such

“Anyone who has had a truly “spiritual” moment, a moment of breaking through our day-to-day reality and touching the divine, knows how difficult it is to communicate that experience to others— or even to recapture it later for ourselves."

Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi

BSL

Atheist God
I'm not sure what you're asking. People from various traditions have written about the ineffable. This is one such

“Anyone who has had a truly “spiritual” moment, a moment of breaking through our day-to-day reality and touching the divine, knows how difficult it is to communicate that experience to others— or even to recapture it later for ourselves."

Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi
The Truth .. Satyam / Satyan / Satanama / Sata / Satava,etc etc
Is there a such name for that in Sufism. Judaism

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If they don't exist, where do you think they got the notion from

Feelings. Fears, hopes, awe.

Henotheist .. that's a first

Many Hindus are henotheists, although they won't necessarily be familiar with the concept.

Technically, so are many Christians. AFAIK the Christian Trinity is a specific form of henotheism.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Believer/Non-believer, what do you make of the God/s that you know of or pray/ed to

Egyptian-
Greek-
Roman-
Jewish-
Christian-
Islamic-
Dharmic-
Pagan-
Other-

I only know of the god of Abraham. Never knew him except through the spirit of jesus. Not to be confused with knowing him as jesus. He's cool in and of himself. His message and method I don't care for.

I don't know anything about the Pagan gods. I think I saw some on Xena once when I watched it religiously.

The only Dharmic religion I know is Buddhism. The gods I think in cultural Buddhism are real but they have no higher status in knowledge and experience of suffering. I don't know about devas. Japanese Buddhism (Nichiren, for example) has a mix of Shinto gods in it. I'd have to look up what the sun and moon god and goddess represents.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
You should know, you're a part of God. We all are. Everyone and everything. The universe itself is God's incarnation.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Truth .. Satyam / Satyan / Satanama / Sata / Satava,etc etc
Is there a such name for that in Sufism. Judaism
In Judaism, HaShem is sometimes used. YHWH as well.

For sufism it depends. Sufis that align with Islam often use "Hu" (Allah Hu) or one of the traditional Islamic 99 Names of God. Also "Parvardigar" or "Khuda" will sometimes be used.

In the West especially there are sufi groups that are not associated with Islam so the name used are the English or other national languages words for "God".

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, but what do you think is the source of the heaven and hell psycho babble
Society - to enourage you to do things which help it and to discourage you from doing something that will harm it. Carrot and sword.

The Hindu word for 'unknowable' is 'ajneya'. Scripture describe it as 'neti, neti' (na iti: not it), in its full understdanding - 'not this, not that'. Some say it is this, others say it is that, basically unknowable). 'Jnana' is knowledge, 'ajneya' is what cannot be known. That is Brahman.

Last edited:
Believer/Non-believer, what do you make of the God/s that you know of or pray/ed to

Speaking of “gods” outside of the context of mythology or of sociology is misleading. Even saying “God exists” is misleading, since it suggests that among all other things that exist, one more, namely God, also exists. That’s not theism’s claim at all.

We all agree that many things exist. For example, ourselves, colors, apples, time, numbers, beauty, and so on. These existents are of a different kind but they all exist. The question that philosophers have wondered for thousands of years is about the nature of existence itself. The corresponding field of philosophy is called “metaphysics”, or more properly “ontology”.

Today they are two main theories:

One is the naturalistic or non-religious theory according to which the nature of existence is fundamentally mechanical. Many naturalists moreover believe that existence is basically (but perhaps not exclusively) physical. Naturalism is how most self-confessing atheists believe reality is.

The other is the religious theory according to which existence is fundamentally spiritual, and thus non-mechanical but of a good and meaningful fundamental nature. Within this broad view we have theism according to which all that exists is created and grounded on the most perfect conceivable being, and thus all-loving, all-knowledgeable, all-powerful, and so on.

Thus instead of saying “God exists” the more appropriate way to speak would be that “existence is God-structured” or “existence is God-based”.

Sundance

Premium Member
Many Hindus are henotheists, although they won't necessarily be familiar with the concept.

Technically, so are many Christians. AFAIK the Christian Trinity is a specific form of henotheism.

As are followers of many West African Tradtional Religions.

Araceli Cianna

I don't believe the gods are real, but more like personifications or archetypes.

Egyptian- I think I would've loved to be Egyptian, I think the Egyptian gods are very aesthetic.
Greek- Greek deities are classics and we can all relate to them in some way.
Roman- I think they are mostly plagiarists because they took most ideas of gods from the Greeks, lol.
Jewish- The Jews were originally Canaanites and worshipped those gods. Lots of Mesopotamian influence. I feel neutral about it.
Christian- Just like any other pagan god. Yahweh has his good points and bad points.
Islamic- Allah seems like a cool guy, though I haven't studied Islam that extensively. Probably similar to Yahweh.
Dharmic- I think Dharmic gods are portrayed very philosophically, which is appealing. I often feel a connection with Dharmic deities because they are larger than life.
Pagan- Just pagan, I guess? But there are many different kinds of Paganism. Most has a good balance between good/bad.
Other- Well others can have their gods. All gods are created in our image, so humans just create themselves an idol to give them strength or whatever else they need.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Egyptian-
Greek-
Roman-
Jewish-
Christian-
Islamic-
Dharmic-
Pagan-
Other-

I am very ecumenic for what concerns the various interpretation of the Almighty.

Ciao

- viole

BSL

Atheist God
Feelings. Fears, hopes, awe.

So .. You are an atheist

BSL

Atheist God
I only know of the god of Abraham. Never knew him except through the spirit of jesus. Not to be confused with knowing him as jesus. He's cool in and of himself. His message and method I don't care for.

I don't know anything about the Pagan gods. I think I saw some on Xena once when I watched it religiously.

The only Dharmic religion I know is Buddhism. The gods I think in cultural Buddhism are real but they have no higher status in knowledge and experience of suffering. I don't know about devas. Japanese Buddhism (Nichiren, for example) has a mix of Shinto gods in it. I'd have to look up what the sun and moon god and goddess represents.
So Jesus is not God