• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you know about Brazil?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I am a brazilian and this is just a curiosity of mine.

Have you ever heard about it? Would you know where it is in the world map? Do you know any of its cities by name? Have you ever traveled here? Do you know what language we speak? Do you know anything about the demographics?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Have you ever heard about it? Would you know where it is in the world map? Do you know any of its cities by name? Have you ever traveled here? Do you know what language we speak? Do you know anything about the demographics?
My wife is from Venezuela. I have traveled to Peru and Ecuador but never to Brazil. I knew Brazilians in my college days... beautiful people. Portuguese is the spoken language.

I know it is a prosperous country but has many difficulties to overcome. Sex trade, drugs, gangs are just a few to mention but then again, many countries deal with the same things.

A beautiful country In South America and beautiful people overall. The only cities I know of is the modern city of Brasilia and Rio de Janeiro.

The Amazon river is the longest river in the world and also hooks up to El Rio Orinoco in Venezuela but it flows in the opposite direction.

danieldemol

Premium Member

I knew it was in South America but that is about it

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Portuguese right?
Sao Paulo is the most populated city in the world. High crime rate I think too
Larger than the US. (nope that's wrong. I checked. Brazil is slightly smaller)
Hard as hell to open a foreign business in Brazil.
Rio is supposed to be nice but is having pollution problem due to the amount of industry there.
I recall a story of a man being killed by a cow falling through the roof of a house. Do they usually keep cows on the roofs in Brazil?

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a friend from Brazil. She offered to take my wife and I to visit, but this virus has put off those plans.

I was even trying to study a bit of Portuguese. This is the language due to a Papal decree giving certain lands to Portugal.

I'd have to look at a map to see if Brazil has a border with Chile (not sure Argentina cuts it off), but Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Peru, Columbia, Venezuela, Bolivia. OK, I just looked, Bolivia cuts Brazil away from Chile.

Lately, it has been having a tough time because of the corona virus and a president (Bolsonaro) that is about as bad as Trump on this matter. He just came down with it. Maybe that will change his mind.

Cities: Rio and Sao Paulo, of course. I don't know much past that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In a bid to mitigate the carbon footprint of our cars we have bought 100 acres rain forest in Para.

Big country, one of the biggest. Language Portuguese, cities i know of Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia, Salvador.

President is one of the leading members of the league of idiots along with Trump and Johnson.

Was in Sao Paulo for a whole 18 hours on business, seemed like a jumble of concrete blocks with smog. Always regretted not getting a chance to see more.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
My wife is from Venezuela. I have traveled to Peru and Ecuador but never to Brazil. I knew Brazilians in my college days... beautiful people. Portuguese is the spoken language.

I know it is a prosperous country but has many difficulties to overcome. Sex trade, drugs, gangs are just a few to mention but then again, many countries deal with the same things.

A beautiful country In South America and beautiful people overall. The only cities I know of is the modern city of Brasilia and Rio de Janeiro.

The Amazon river is the longest river in the world and also hooks up to El Rio Orinoco in Venezuela but it flows in the opposite direction.

Sadly, gangs are indeed a real problem around here. We have a HUGE problem with violence.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Portuguese right?
Sao Paulo is the most populated city in the world. High crime rate I think too
Larger than the US. (nope that's wrong. I checked. Brazil is slightly smaller)
Hard as hell to open a foreign business in Brazil.
Rio is supposed to be nice but is having pollution problem due to the amount of industry there.
I recall a story of a man being killed by a cow falling through the roof of a house. Do they usually keep cows on the roofs in Brazil?

Yup, portuguese!
And no, we don't keep cows on roofs!!!
I had to look this up:
Apparently what happened is that the cow rolled down from a hill and stepped onto the roof, which was too frail and couldn't handle the animal's weight.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yup, portuguese!
And no, we don't keep cows on roofs!!!
I had to look this up:
Apparently what happened is that the cow rolled down from a hill and stepped onto the roof, which was too frail and couldn't handle the animal's weight.

My company tried to open up a business in Sao Paulo. We hired one employee who came to the US for training. Before then I never heard of Sao Paulo.

Is there vacation spots in the Amazon the general public go to? In the movies it's just scientists/explorers seeking lost tribes.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I have a friend from Brazil. She offered to take my wife and I to visit, but this virus has put off those plans.

What state/city if you don't mind me asking?

I was even trying to study a bit of Portuguese. This is the language due to a Papal decree giving certain lands to Portugal.

Do you know Spanish?
It is somewhat intelligible to us as long as you speak slowly.

I'd have to look at a map to see if Brazil has a border with Chile (not sure Argentina cuts it off), but Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Peru, Columbia, Venezuela, Bolivia. OK, I just looked, Bolivia cuts Brazil away from Chile.

Lately, it has been having a tough time because of the corona virus and a president (Bolsonaro) that is about as bad as Trump on this matter. He just came down with it. Maybe that will change his mind.

Cities: Rio and Sao Paulo, of course. I don't know much past that.

He will not change his mind.
Just so you understand what kind of person he is:
We had a military dictatorship back in 1964-1985. This is a fact.
He is a military dictatorship-denier though. For real.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
In a bid to mitigate the carbon footprint of our cars we have bought 100 acres rain forest in Para.

Big country, one of the biggest. Language Portuguese, cities i know of Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia, Salvador.

President is one of the leading members of the league of idiots along with Trump and Johnson.

I feel we are in some sort of competition over who has it worse.

Was in Sao Paulo for a whole 18 hours on business, seemed like a jumble of concrete blocks with smog. Always regretted not getting a chance to see more.

I have never been to São Paulo myself. But your description sounds perfectly accurate. :D

Koldo

Outstanding Member
My company tried to open up a business in Sao Paulo. We hired one employee who came to the US for training. Before then I never heard of Sao Paulo.

Is there vacation spots in the Amazon the general public go to? In the movies it's just scientists/explorers seeking lost tribes.

Good question! I don't know much about that because I live in Rio de Janeiro which happens to be reaaaaally far away from the Amazon. But, I suggest looking up the city of Manaus if you are interested on that. It is one of the biggest cities in the Amazon (over a million people live there) and you would certainly have no issues finding people that work safely bringing tourists for a tour on the forest. By the way, I also recommended you to look this up on tripadvisor. It is a lot more reliable than trusting random people that may want to offer you this service.

atanu

Premium Member

Pele. Some of us in India love Brazil because of Pele and Soccer.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Brazil...
- Lots'o gun violence.
- Burning up that rain forest.
- They know food down there.
- Homer Simpson was kidnapped there.
- Some beautiful landscapes.
- Warm.
- The movie is great, but it's not at all about the country.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I think Europeans should know a thing or two about Brazil as it is a neighbour to the EU. We have good relations and fruitful commerce. Brazil has great potential and is on the brink of making the step from "developing" to "developed". If you only could get rid of that Bolsonaro guy.