• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do when you're losing faith in God?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
"What do you do when you're losing faith in God?"

It's a good time to re-evaluate your moral compass.

PureX

Veteran Member
Faith is a choice. It's not something I find or lose. It's something I choose or reject.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What do you mean by this?
When people ( not nessessarily you ) believe in a god, sometimes they offload their moral choices onto that god. When a person is losing their faith in god, it's a good time to re-evaluate their moral compass, because the person is free to determine how they actually feel. They are free to explore what is right and wrong to them. I didn't mean to imply it's a bad thing. It's taking advantage of the situation to do a good thing.

ETA: Maybe I should have phrased it this way: It's an opportunity to re-evaluate what is right and wrong?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
When people ( not nessessarily you ) believe in a god, sometimes they offload their moral choices onto that god. When a person is losing their faith in god, it's a good time to re-evaluate their moral compass, because the person is free to determine how they actually feel. They are free to explore what is right and wrong to them. I didn't mean to imply it's a bad thing. It's taking advantage of the situation to do a good thing.
I like that! Yes that time would be a great opportunity for a theist to do that.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I lost my faith in the Gods once... it didn't last long. Not believing didn't make sense to me. I chose to be angry with them instead.

At this point, I don't have many expectations of the Gods. I think some may help when they can, but I'm not convinced that anybody or anything is all powerful. I think they mourn along with us, rather than being uncaring.

And as to Brahman, we are a part of that, in my world view. It is not apart from us. I simply can't deny what I feel coursing through myself/everyone else/everything else. If someone wants to think I'm off my rocker for that, so be it. That old rocker wasn't comfortable, anyways.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I never thought I'd ask this question, but here it comes.
I would recommend finding a serene, harmonious environment and start asking yourself honest, relevant questions.

Perhaps starting with why exactly that is a problem and to which extent you feel responsible for it.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I never thought I'd ask this question, but here it comes.
It depends. What capacity do you serve God? If you practice like a Hindu does, for example, just continue acting selflessly and fulfill your duties.

However, if you serve God at a higher capacity, perhaps it is best to fight through it, even if it seems to require cognitive dissonance.

Personal anecdote, hope you don't mind. I was a practicing Nazirite once. Originally, Hebrews who wanted to especially devote themselves to God would take this vow. The only two Nazirites from birth in the Bible are Samson and Samuel. Both of their mothers devoted them to be Nazirites before birth. My mother named me Samuel but died shortly after. She was a devoted Christian and named me after Samuel of the Bible. I feel her intentions were for me to be a Nazirite from birth, but I didn't realize it until I read the Bible. So, I attempted to take the vow a few times, most recently I lasted almost two years until breaking the vow (by drinking, cutting my hair, and visiting mother's grave). This last time, it was because I started losing faith in Christianity.

When I started losing faith in Christianity, what should have I done? You posing this question is making me ask myself this. Perhaps it was a test of my faith and I failed it. I was a soldier of God once, and I met other soldiers of Christ. Now I am not. What should've I done? Allow myself to lose faith in God?

What should you do? Like I said, it depends.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Give it some time, God will be there when or if you regain your faith, God does not leave you just because you experience doubt or lack of faith.

Actually, use this time to grow stronger, find your answer through study or by experiensing life as it is. :)
That's a very good and reassuring point, I too think God can understand and forgive doubt.