• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you admire about a DIFFERENT religion?

Jupimartian

Ex-Protestant Christian
I took a Buddhism class and was amazed by the philosophy. It was so different from the "trust that God will magically sort things out" belief that I was raised with. I still enjoy reading about Buddhist philosophy and applying it to my life.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
First, I think this thread is a great idea. Second, I think there's too many things about too many religions that I like to list them all here, but I'll give it a shot:

Christianity:
-I love the simplicity and mysticism of Quakerism
-I've always loved the mystical elements and beauty of the Eastern Orthodox liturgy
-the overall dedication of most Christians to their faith
-the family oriented Mormon faith

Islam
-The adhan
-their dedication, like Christians, is strong

Hinduism
-there's so much here that's similar to Buddhism, it's impossible to list them all, or pick just a few things

Taoism
-just like with Hinduism, the similarities with Buddhism, and particularly Zen, are intriguing

Paganism
-their devotion to nature
-their general openness

These are just a few things, but are by no means all things, that I like about other religions.

Straw Dog

Neo-paganism. It`s highly adaptive and open to natural diversity.

Quakerism. It's skeptical about absolute dogmas and allows open interpretation of the "inner light" within every individual.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Amish Modesty
Baptist Love of Bible
Buddhism Ancestor respect
Catholic Discipline in education
Hindu Self discipline
Islam Importance of prayer
Jewish Family ties
Mormon Wonderful mystery

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I like the focus on Kung Fu by buddhist monks

I want to address a bit of a small misconception. Most Buddhist monks don't practice martial arts, this is mostly done in the Zen school. And even then, it's not done by most Zen monks. In this instance, Kung Fu is practiced mostly just by the Zen monks of Shaolin monastery in Hunan province in China. There's legends stating that it was Bodhidharma, the first Zen patriarch of China, who discovered and first taught Kung Fu, but this is mostly legend: matter of fact, the roots for Kung Fu go back a few centuries earlier. Just putting my two cents in. :p

chinu

chinu
What do you admire or like the best about a religion/path that you DONT belong to?

I have a couple that I can think of right now.

Catholicism: I love cathedrals, the ritual of mass, and Gregorian chant. It's haunting and incredible. Also, I'm Irish so Catholicism brings me back "home" in a sense.

Paganism- the ability to think freely and evolve your own thoughts into something that doenst need to fit in with the rest of the group. Also, the sacredness of the natural world gives me the strongest sense of peace.
All Religions- i love people :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I love visiting beautiful Catholic cathedrals. They are truly awe-inspiring monuments to God.

I admire the commitment most Muslims I have known have for their faith. Islam truly seems like a religion that guides a person's entire life.

I love pagans! They're just plain nice. :D

Satyamavejayanti

I admire nothing, its not like i hate other religions but whatever is worth admiring is already available in mine.

plus i have not found anything admirable about most religions so far...

Philomath

Sadhaka
What do you admire about a DIFFERENT religion?

I admire the devotion that Muslims have towards God. From my experience no other religion or religious adherents have had that same amount of devotion.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I'd have to say Hinduism and Buddhism, and I'm not even sure I consider Hinduism different from the other nature based, Polytheistic paths across cultures. Hinduism is India's version, so to speak

Hinduism has went much deeper into human nature and the nature of reality than most though

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
Any religion can be admirable when the emphasis is on the nurturing of the human spirit. Those same religions can be loathsome when the emphasis is on the narrowing of the human mind.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I enjoy the mosque and piousness of Muslims.

The color and grandeur of a mandir and the Hindu epics.

The culturalism of Judaism.

And the reclusive coexistence of a bhiksu

HankHill

Indian-American Ex-Hindu
Islam: opposition to some backwards ideas like superstition and blindly following what your forefathers did, the brotherhood between and inclusion of all different races in a single house of worship, the staunch opposition of idolatry, nasheeds, the placement of Jesus in a midway point breaking CS Lewis's liar-lunatic-Lord idea, emphasis on purity (wudu, diet, etc.), the general egalitarianism preached by the faith even if it may not play out in practice

Mormonism: the strong opposition to the use of drugs and a generally successful way of practicing and keeping their faith relevant in the modern world

Sikhism: a strong sense of connection to the past leaders of the Sikh faith and to instances of past persecution