• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What CAN make you believe in the existence of God ?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Good question.

I'll definitely answer this reversed question, once you answer OP question. :)

OK. Well it would have to be something rather different than what has eluded me so far - the words of others, the various writings, the claims of experiences leading to such, the apparent logic, what we see around us, life itself - all such could well be explained by suitable processes and time, and I'm suitably informed so as not to trust my own experiences, including any of my thoughts or feelings. So I'm not sure what might do the trick other than discovering some DNA sequence saying 'made by God' (like a stick of Blackpool rock), or some event that would put the question beyond doubt, and that could not be explained in any other way. But I doubt this is going to happen.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Indeed he does. In Islam it is taught that disbelieving people cover what they know to be the truth. The word kafir comes from the word to cover.

Ever wondered about the mechanisms religions tend to use to protect themselves, attract converts, dissuade members from leaving and such?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Its okay if you are afraid :)
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I do believe we are born believing in God. I have always believed. The question is, what makes you disbelieve in what you know exists?

And I believe we are all born atheists and have to be taught religions in order to believe them.

The main reason people believe in God, I think, is because their parents taught them to do so.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed he does. In Islam it is taught that disbelieving people cover what they know to be the truth. The word kafir comes from the word to cover.

Except that whether it is the truth is the point at issue. You seem to think that I *actually* believe in God and want to deny the evidence. But, in reality, I just don't believe in your mythology.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting question.

Why "God" may arrange such an evidence for you ?

I don't pretend to know which of many Gods you claim to exist, so I make no claims to the motivations of such Gods.

I just said what it would take for me to be convinced that such things exist.

ecco

Veteran Member
Which God?
Whose God?
Pick one - any one.
Unequivocal evidence for its existence would be the instantaneous, permanent disappearance of everyone who believed in any other god.