• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What books do you like?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Yasunari Kawabata, Roger Zelazny, Neil Gaiman, PKD, Michael Ende, Aristophanes, Euripides, Homer and medieval Icelandic and Anglo-Saxon literature.

Actually, many other more writers and genres.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Outside of religious books:

Anne Rice is a favorite author

Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus

Anne of Green Gables series

Narnia books

Dracula

About anything else supernatural themed

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Favorites off the top of my head...

Kurt Vonnegut
Frank Herbert
Dan Simmons
Stephen R. Donaldson
Douglas Adams
Jack Kerouac
William Gibson
Larry Niven
Orson Scott Card
William S. Burroughs
Iain M. Banks
Joe Haldeman
Frederik Pohl

among others...

Yerda

Veteran Member
I'm happy to give anything a crack but I'll read anything by Vonnegut, Philip K Dick, David Wallace, James Kelman, Alisdair Gray, Graham Greene, Iain Banks, Dostoyevsky.

Recently I have read and loved Ask The Dust by John Fante and Young Adam by Alexander Trocchi.

I read fair amount of 'literary fiction', whatever that is, but I think I get the most enjoyment from a decent sci-fi novel.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Currently I'm halfway through GRRM's Dying Of The Light, a sci-fi written when he was 29. Quite enjoyable, just not as good as his later novels.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
It's My Birthday!
I'm a book addict and will remain so for the rest of my life. However, I have to admit to the guilty pleasure of Jack Vance, whose every book I have read, some many times over. I have many other favorite authors, but he is one that many people may not know about. When I was first becoming addicted to SF, Eric Frank Russell was my favorite, but most of his works are quite dated at this point. Now his works are just campy, but he was one of the great pulp science fiction writers in the 1950s and early 60s.

For non-fiction, my current favorite is Howard K Bloom: The God Problem. He describes himself as a "stone cold atheist", but there is no proselytizing for atheism in his book. I think that even theists might enjoy it.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I read a lot of DC comic books. (Justice League, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey, Supergirl, Batgirl :D)

For other books, I read non-fiction (usually science, philosophy, or religion) plus fiction (generally fantasy or science fiction). My favorite fiction series is probably the Kingkiller Chronicle, although only two out of three planned books of the series have been published so far.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Outside of Religious books and scriptures....

My favorite author is Dominique Lapierre.

His works include:

Freedom at Midnight ("Cette nuit la liberté", 1975)

Is Paris Burning?—Adolf Hitler, 25 August 1944 ("Paris brûle-t-il?", 1965)

O Jerusalem! (Ô Jérusalem, 1972)

The City of Joy ("La Cité de la joie", 1985)

... and many others.

He speaks fluent Bengali.

I also enjoy books by Joseph Conrad (The Heart of Darkness), Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (The Gulag Archipelago), and I read Science Fiction-Fantasy and New Fantasy, historical and contemporary History and events (for example I am reading a book about Uganda under Idi Amin, and the wonderful book "I Am Malala").

I read travel-adventure and travel logs, and even some comics such as anime.

I have an interest and personal study in epidemiology, birds, archeology, middle ages, astronomy, and so I read various authors of those subjects.

I like the Lord of the Rings triology et all.

Om Namah Sivaya

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Sci Fiction was my favorite
Peirs Anthony tops
But Terry Brooks series stands out
Enders Game, Orson Scott Card was fabulous, I will never see the movie.
Of course Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy series.

Biographical
Profiles in courage was great
Mother Teresa's is worth reading.

Scientific
Lately its all about the mind
but any thing that interests me

Mythology
Haven't read them in a while but getting the feeling

Starting to share with the Kids.
Sherlock Homes
Egar Allen Poe

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Fantasy/Sci-Fi
Lovecraft
China Miéville
Wells'
Joe Abercrombie
Douglas Addams
Terry Pratchett

Science

C.K Ogden
Alfred Korzybski
DeGrasse Tyson
Stephen Hawking
Richard Dawkins

Religion/The Supernatural
James Randi
Richard Dawkins
Christopher Hitchens

Political:

My favourite of all 'political' books, I guess would be War is a Racket, by General Smedley Smythe