• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your thoughts about the Catholic Church?

What do you think of the Catholic Church?

• I love the Church

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I like the Church

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • The Church isn't too bad

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I dislike the Church

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • I hate the Church

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

Shlomoh

4331germanbisho_00000003846.png

Just wondering if you could share your thoughts about Catholicism, if you have any. :)
_72767775_saintpeterssw.jpg

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Well....my thoughts on this have changed many times over my 4 decades. First, all Christians of all stripes are technically part of the Catholic Church. Nobody owns 'Catholic'. There's the Roman Catholic Church, which is a subset of the Catholic Church. Then there are the Baptists, the Episcopals, the Anglicans, the Charismatics, the Evangelical Holy Roller Name It Claim Its, the Hillbilly Snake Handlers, the Messianic Claimants, the Presbyterians, the Methodists, the Lutherans, the All Black Churches, the (still not extinct yet) KKK Churches, the South American VooCatholdoos, the Russian Orthodox, the Greek Orthodox, the Jehova's Witness Ecclesias (though they would not include themselves), the Pentecostals, the (somewhat scary) Christian Scientists, the Black Sheep Unknown (who do not include themselves and are known only to the Father), ....lets see... still going.... and more. All these are Catholic. Anybody feel left out? Did I forget you? I'm sorry.

VioletVortex

Catholicism is the form of Christianity with the most redeeming qualities. It draws more from Paganism than its Eastern Orthodox and protestant counterparts, which is why Catholic countries are more religious than protestant ones.

With that said, Catholicism is still a form of Christianity, and I will hate it as such. As I am not a Christian, I do not care about the church itself, though from what I've heard, it doesn't sound all that great.

Magpie1978

The Catholic Church is a farce - they WRONGLY interpreted the bible and manipulated the contents
They pray to saints and Jesus mother Mary - when the bible clearly states that you should not worship anyone except god
They have confession where someone speaks to a priest and he grants them absoloution by saying 3 Hail Marys etc - again the bible says only god can grant forgiveness
Plus this whole celibacy nonsense- nowhere in the bible does it mention this
And finally as for the pope being the head of the Catholic Church- he is A MAN he is NOT devine and is elected by other HUMAN MAN again nowhere in the bible does it say someone should be elected to be the go between for man and god
The Catholic Church is a warped religion and purely a profit making organisation
True Christianity was all about a philosophy of life and did not involve going to a church to pray or talking to fake holy men

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

I cannot believe God would build His church on any mortal human. Many places in the Bible refer to Jesus as the "Rock" and it is on this rock ( Jesus ) that God's church is built. Not on Peter. Also God calls His church a "little flock" not a hugh organization with billions of members. I do not hate them but simply think they are not what they think they are. They have been deceived and built on false ideas.

sunray

Magpie, that's as may be but when reading the Bible you have to read between the pages and know what is written is to help one to enter the spirit of God. Once in the spirit of God you are free to be guided the way the spirit inspires you. If the church is wrong to have statues then one can forgive or and become a Muslim.No statues there and the Holy Koran is full of Jesus. Neither the Bible nor the Koran are rule books .
Sunray

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
The Catholic Church is a farce - they WRONGLY interpreted the bible and manipulated the contents
They pray to saints and Jesus mother Mary - when the bible clearly states that you should not worship anyone except god
They have confession where someone speaks to a priest and he grants them absoloution by saying 3 Hail Marys etc - again the bible says only god can grant forgiveness
And finally as for the pope being the head of the Catholic Church- he is A MAN he is NOT devine and is elected by other HUMAN MAN again nowhere in the bible does it say someone should be elected to be the go between for man and god
The Catholic Church is a warped religion and purely a profit making organisation
True Christianity was all about a philosophy of life and did not involve going to a church to pray or talking to fake holy men
^Anti-Catholic garbage.

We don't worship Mary or the other Saints, the priest absolves through the authority of God and the Pope is not a "go between" for humans and God. The Church also doesn't require a dime from you. Donations are optional. I go to Mass and don't give anything. The Sacraments are free. You don't know what you're talking about, at all. That's just Protestant anti-Catholic crap.

Magpie1978

I cannot believe God would build His church on any mortal human. Many places in the Bible refer to Jesus as the "Rock" and it is on this rock ( Jesus ) that God's church is built. Not on Peter. Also God calls His church a "little flock" not a hugh organization with billions of members. I do not hate them but simply think they are not what they think they are. They have been deceived and built on false ideas.
Yeah I agree that god would not build his church on a human
But Catholics are responsible for millions of murders in the name of their bastardised religion so I personally really really dislike them

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
^Anti-Catholic garbage.

We don't worship Mary or the other Saints, the priest absolves through the authority of God and the Pope is not a "go between" for humans and God. You don't know what you're talking about, at all. That's just Protestant anti-Catholic crap.

lostwanderingsoul

In Nazi Germany, there was so much propaganda pounded into the children that they thought Hitler was better than God. They would report people who said bad things about Hitler to the police. Even their own parents. Catholics have so much propaganda pounded into them that they think the Pope is better than God. God makes a plain statement in the Bible and the Pope says something different so they believe the Pope. No, the Pope is not a go between. He takes priority over God.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
In Nazi Germany, there was so much propaganda pounded into the children that they thought Hitler was better than God. They would report people who said bad things about Hitler to the police. Even their own parents. Catholics have so much propaganda pounded into them that they think the Pope is better than God. God makes a plain statement in the Bible and the Pope says something different so they believe the Pope. No, the Pope is not a go between. He takes priority over God.
Nope. That's not how it is at all. The Pope is just a man and I don't agree with everything the Pope says. Some Popes were downright awful people.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Apologies to PopeADope for what might appear to be an attempt to hijack his thread. I know this thread isn't on Mormonism, so I'll keep this very brief.

But I am grateful for JK(?) Parry(?) co. for bringing to the States the Sefer ha-Yashar.

I have and like that book. But even the Xtian Zionist who printed it has to "warn" his readers that although Mormons did bring it here, it conflicts with their beliefs so is not sacred and thus you need not worry.

Worry? It is not a Mormon authored book, why take the unnecessary opportunity to crap on Mormons when you only have it because they bought it and translated it?
Wow! I learned something new today. Thank you! I am not familiar with the Sefer ha-Yashar, but I just did a quick wiki search on it. The translator was Joseph Hyrum Parry (JH Parry). As you are aware, the LDS Church does not officially endorse the Book of Jasher, although there are apparently some LDS scholars who consider it to be of authentic ancient Hebrew origin.

As I understand you are so trustworthy a people as to almost dominate CIA, FBI and other agencies if not as directors as a myriad of brave agents keeping America safe.
Yes, there is a disproportionate number of Mormons in the CIA, FBI, etc., and I believe it is for the reason you stated.

I would rather have Mormons (provided you don't despise Islam as policy, which I do not think you are guilty of but would have a problem with if) working for the safety of America than the usual degenerate pervs any damn day.
As far as Mormons (LDS) despising Islam as policy, we absolutely do not. I have a number of Muslim friends. I respect them and enjoy their company. I have been a guest in their homes and they have been guests in mine. They are all good people and I like them very much. Obviously, I disagree with some of their beliefs, but I admire much about them. You may find these three articles interesting:

Muslims Pray in LDS Church
Mormons Offer Place for Displaced Muslims to Pray (different example from the previous one)
Mormons March for Muslims

Sorry, LDS, not Mormons. I didn't know you don't like that designation and can relate it to "Mohammedan" used to talk about Muslims who have never been "Mohammedans."
No problem. Here's where it gets confusing... The official name of our church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." There is no such entity as "The Mormon Church," so we don't like to be referred to as "The Mormon Church." Technically, we call ourselves "Latter-day Saints" or "LDS" for short. Most of us don't actually mind being called "Mormons," and I use "LDS" and "Mormon" interchangeably.

(I remember that, as a child, I always called Muslims "Mohammedans." It was not until I was an adult that I learned this was inaccurate.)

Last edited:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
According to Christian Theology, God loved us so much that He became one of us, shared in our misery, and died for us
This is a problem I have with Catholic Theology. Jesus knew that he would go to heaven after he died, right? If so, that takes all of the fear of death out of the equation. No matter how faithful a person is, when faced with the unknown associated with death, there is immense fear. It was like going to the dentist for Jesus. It sucked, for sure, but at the end he knew he'd be in paradise.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
This is a problem I have with Catholic Theology. Jesus knew that he would go to heaven after he died, right? If so, that takes all of the fear of death out of the equation. No matter how faithful a person is, when faced with the unknown associated with death, there is immense fear. It was like going to the dentist for Jesus. It sucked, for sure, but at the end he knew he'd be in paradise.
You seem to think that fear of death means fear of what may await a person after death. For most, I believe it's not that at all, but a dread of the associated pain. It's like Woody Allen once said, "I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens."

Last edited: