• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your thoughts about the Catholic Church?

What do you think of the Catholic Church?

• I love the Church

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I like the Church

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • The Church isn't too bad

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I dislike the Church

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • I hate the Church

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

Stalwart

Well, fortunately for people like me, it's God who gets to decide and not the Catholic Church. ;) As one of my all-time favorite Catholics, Mother Teresa once said, "For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It never was between you and them anyway."

Where you contend against the Church, you contend against God Himself. I'm not the one doing the deciding - it is a dogma of the Catholic faith that none outside of the Church will be saved. I am bound to believe it, even if I did not agree with it.

Stalwart

Even more pointed, it is not individual Catholics. :)
Tom

To reiterate the same point in different terms, no Catholic has his own opinion on matters of faith or morals. If he is a Catholic, he professes those of the Church as his own.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, fortunately for people like me, it's God who gets to decide and not the Catholic Church. ;) As one of my all-time favorite Catholics, Mother Teresa once said, "For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It never was between you and them anyway."
He's on the verge of being a sedevacantist heretic, anyway, with his sort of talk about post-Vatican II Popes. Honestly? I wouldn't pay it any mind. Radical Traditionalist types who wish it were still the Middle Ages are a negligible number of Catholics. They hate me, too. :rolleyes:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Where you contend against the Church, you contend against God Himself. I'm not the one doing the deciding - it is a dogma of the Catholic faith that none outside of the Church will be saved.
Whatever. God knows my heart; you don't.

I am bound to believe it, even if I did not agree with it.
If you say so. Personally, I can't imagine being bound to believe something I didn't agree with. But whatever floats your boat, Stalwart. Have a nice day.

Stalwart

He's on the verge of being a sedevacantist heretic, anyway. Pay him no mind. Radical Traditionalist types who wish it were still the Middle Ages are a negligible number of Catholics. They hate me, too. :rolleyes:

I don't appreciate slander. I am not a sedevacantist, and do not recognise the position to barely hold any water whatsoever.

You feeling as though you are hated by orthodox Catholics is not a stain on us, believe me.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
To reiterate the same point in different terms, no Catholic has his own opinion on matters of faith or morals. If he is a Catholic, he professes those of the Church as his own.
Once again, you are substituting your own judgment for the Pope's, and dissing Francis for not meeting your standards of Catholic purity.
I am not impressed.
Tom

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
He's on the verge of being a sedevacantist heretic, anyway, with his sort of talk about post-Vatican II Popes. Honestly? I wouldn't pay it any mind. Radical Traditionalist types who wish it were still the Middle Ages are a negligible number of Catholics. They hate me, too. :rolleyes:
LOL! I'm kind of used to the occasional Mormon fanatic. I don't think I've ever come across a Catholic fanatic till now. I guess that just goes to show that you'll find extremists within every faith.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't appreciate slander. I am not a sedevacantist, and do not recognise the position to barely hold any water whatsoever.

You feeling as though you are hated by orthodox Catholics is not a stain on us, believe me.
It's not just a "feeling" and you don't own the mantle of "orthodox Catholic". Oh, and I wasn't trying to slander you. That's how your talk about post-Vatican II Popes comes off. Maybe you should check your rhetoric.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
LOL! I'm kind of used to the occasional Mormon fanatic. I don't think I've ever come across a Catholic fanatic till now. I guess that just goes to show that you'll find extremists within every faith.
Oh honey....
You just haven't lived!
Tom

Stalwart

Once again, you are substituting your own judgment for the Pope's, and dissing Francis for not meeting your standards of Catholic purity.
I am not impressed.
Tom

'Substituting my own judgement for the pope's'? What?

Francis is communicating grave error - Amoris Laetitia contained no less than at least 19 erroneous propositions, over half of which were outright heretical. The possibility of schism in the contemporary Church is no longer something to joke about; it is a very real possibility. Naturally, I dislike the man for his role in worsening the state of confusion in the Church.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
LOL! I'm kind of used to the occasional Mormon fanatic. I don't think I've ever come across a Catholic fanatic till now.
There's a small number of them. Some of them are actual hate groups like the Tradition Family and Property movement, which is an actual Catholic fascist movement. One group is listed as a hate group on the SPLC site. They're hardly mainstream at all and aren't paid much attention to.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I suppose this means that Pope Francis either is not a Catholic after all, or that the many Christ-like statements he has made regarding non-Catholics are not just his own opinion at all, but representative of the official Catholic position on those matters.

Stalwart

It's not just a "feeling" and you don't own the mantle of "orthodox Catholic".

An orthodox Catholic is simply one who abides by the teachings of the Church. I do.

They're hardly mainstream at all and aren't paid much attention to.

You're in for a big surprise, I imagine. The revitalisation of the Catholic faith is coming about through the young, who gravitate heavily towards tradition.

I suppose this means that Pope Francis either is not a Catholic after all, or that the many Christ-like statements he has made regarding non-Catholics are not just his own opinion at all.

I'm a layman. It's not up to me to condemn as a formal heretic. I leave that to the Church, and pray for his integrity in the faith.

Lord Krishna's a better written character in scriptures, though. :)

Madam,

I do not see my Lord Krishna as a different entity from my Lord Jesus Christ! Jesu Christo Domini! They are avatars of the One unseen and unending omnipotent and omnipresent supreme existence, the very essence of this ever dynamic universe.

It is my belief that this unseen, unheard and beyond human perception entity, who has been called as the Father of all in every land in every clime adored, as Parabrahma; Yahveh, God, and a thousand other names existed when there was a universal void and after the universe came to exist, and shall remain when this universe will get annihilated into another void and be recreated out of nothing, as before.

It is also my belief that this supreme Self, chooses to acquire divine and adorable and lovable mundane and mortal forms to lead all living creatures in love unity and harmony. When such happens we see a Krishna getting born in a prison cell at Mathura in midnight to a mother whose fate is to lose her every other newborn child to the murdering hands of a king, her brother, and Jesus Christ the King of Kings, getting born in a cow pen outside the village of Bethlehem at a similar night to a frightened mother escaping with her husband from their city and the clutches of another King who wants her newborn child to be killed for the very same reason the King of Mathura had wanted the prevention of the birth of one who was foretold to end his kingdom and misrule.

This is not a coincidence!

Years back I had read in dried banana leaves (Bhurja Patra) in indelible black ink, written centuries ago in chaste Sanskrit, in a diction enviable by many a learned Hindu Brahmins, stanzas by an Italian Jesuit missionary in south India, Padre Roberto De Nobili S.J. that translated read: "And that cow pen born Christ (Gokuludvava Khrista) is none other than the lord of the cows Krishna (Gokuleshvara Krishna) the cowherd! O people with sight, bear testimony to the coming of the Lord at a different realm and a different time! He, Christ is your master Krishna reborn! Bear witness (Saakhshya) to his coming and sing and rejoice and chant his name! He that chants Hare Christa gets to be delivered of all sins like he that chants Hare Krishna!"

It is pity that the Krishna lovers of his times and Hindu devotees of Krishna in these days failed then and fail now, to get the message of Padre Roberto De Nobili S.J. He was poisoned to death at the behest of the Brahmins and the Hindu ruler of his times. The Roman Catholic church too did not approve of his vision.

I believe that Padre Roberto De Nobili S. J. was a true missionary of Lord Jesus Christ and a worthy son of Saint Ignatius De Loyola, whose work "Experimenta Spiritualia" (read by me in English) reflects the same Advaita Tatva of us Hindus.

And Jesus Christ son of Mary is my Lord and Master as is Lord Krishna!

Hare Khrista! Hare Krishna!

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
An orthodox Catholic is simply one who abides by the teachings of the Church. I do.
So do I. Which is why I don't take Communion because of all my sins. :)

You're in for a big surprise, I imagine. The revitalisation of the Catholic faith is coming about through the young, who gravitate heavily towards tradition.
I am one of those "youth" and they really aren't. I'm 27 and I joined the Church a decade (this year) ago. There is no ultra-conservative youth revolution going on in the Church that I can see.