1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What are your thoughts about the Catholic Church?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by PopeADope, Apr 6, 2017.

?
  1. I love the Church

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. I like the Church

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. The Church isn't too bad

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. I dislike the Church

27 vote(s)
    45.0%
  5. I hate the Church

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,873
    Y
    You hate the Church means you hate the body of christ. You hate the body of christ, you hate christ himself. When you hate christ, you hate his father.

If you don't know what is behind what The Body of Christ teaches from their point of view and not your own, you will always be putting down brothers and sisters of christ.

That does not sound christian. I don't know what that sounds, really. I'm sure god knows all christians relationship with christ-all meaning Catholics included. It's not your place to judge.

• Like Like x 2
  2. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,419
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Yes. But what does that have to do with Peter's prominence among the disciples throughout the NT?

3. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,873
    Im asking since jesus is the foundation of the Church and the Church continues through Christ Christ via the Church, what authority does peter have when he is neither christ, god, nor have the divinity of them?

4. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,419
    Religion:
    Catholic
    It is what authority did Peter have that is evident in the NT writings. And within those writings there were those who seem most prominent; Peter, Paul, James (the brother of the Lord), John (the beloved disciple.

#584 pcarl, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  5. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +11,951
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    If I can insert myself into this discussion.

The main position vis-a-vis Peter, the other apostles, and apostolic succession, deals with what the church actually is to be, along with the question as to whether this is to be reflected in both the church's role and its structure?

Most Protestant churches and independents use the "congregational style" of leadership, whereas it's the congregation that, not only chooses the pastor, they also also have a great deal to say as to what it to be taught or not taught. I ran into a problem with that in the fundamentalist Protestant church I grew up in, whereas the pastor would not speak out against racism with the congregation because he was worried about losing a large part of that congregation but also quite possibly his job.

Is that the way the early church operated? Clearly not, as Jesus "taught with authority", as did the apostles, and as did the appointees of the apostles. To put it another way, the church did not operate under democratic principles, and we see Paul getting quite upset with those congregants and some leaders who may buck against what they and the appointees were teaching.

Jesus, Peter, the apostles and their appointees, therefore, became the main symbols for the more "authoritarian" approach that we see within the scriptures and that which the Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglican churches operate from. It's the approach and the application of Jesus' order to Peter to "feed my sheep" and not let the church go into a free-for-all whereas anything goes.

6. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,419
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Thus the unity of the Catholic church, both Roman and Orthodox.

• Like Like x 1