• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the Odds there's a God?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It worked for me, it inspired me, if it doesn't work for you after really studying the book of Daniel and the accuracy of the prophecies in it, like the image with the gold head, silver breast, bronze belly, iron legs and feet of iron and clay and how they represent real world rulers beginning with the Persian Empire of Nebukadnezzar (gold)to the Medes/Peres(<sp?) (silver)then the Greeks (bronze), then Romans (iron), and last coming soon, of iron and clay. Also, the inspirational ways God showed his glory with the king and with Daniel, Shadrach, Mischach and Abednego and all the other very detailed, precise prophecies that came true and are coming true in real world history, then I guess its not for you. It works for me and deeply anchors my faith and awe of God, and I just thought I'd share to hopefully boost someone's faith or 'odds'.

I'm afraid the best prophecies are self-fulfilling, and therefore worthless for convincing non-believers. Besides, whether or not a prophecy is true has nothing to do with how spiritually inspiring a story is. That kind of thing is wholly subjective.

Good for you if it works for you. But you shouldn't really expect others to have the same attitude towards your favorite stories as you do.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Speaking of gambling and odds, I think it is very dangerous to gamble with one's soul, for if God does exist and he is a holy God and he sent His Only Son to save us, and we reject Him, we lose big time for he suffered in our place the wages of our sin, so we will suffer eternally in Hell. And if there is no God, we die and no longer exist and still lose. But, if we take a big chance and roll the dice and bet on Jesus being just who he says he is and that anyone who believes in him has everlasting life freely, then we win big time and if we are wrong, we have lived a much more joyful, peaceful, happier life.

Uh... we gamble, anyway, because if it's as you say, then other religions that claim themselves to be only true way all have the same odds to be correct.

I, frankly, do not like to take that approach to spirituality.

There's a 50% chance he exists, and a 50% chance that he doesn't, in my opinion. Either way, I don't think his existence will ever be proven, and we will only know once we move on from this life. But the probability of him not existing is equal to the probability of him being real.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Setting up any sort of odds or percentages in this context is silly since we have absolutely nothing to go on. That is, if we're talking about "a" god of some nondescript sort. For that kind of god I would only say that there is no reason to think that it exists and therefore it is folly to postulate that this is the case.

If, on the other hand, we're talking about a specific god, such as the god of the old testament, of the quran or similar, then there is 0% chance that they exist by any logical account since they are internally inconsistent and thus cannot logically exist.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Setting up any sort of odds or percentages in this context is silly since we have absolutely nothing to go on. That is, if we're talking about "a" god of some nondescript sort. For that kind of god I would only say that there is no reason to think that it exists and therefore it is folly to postulate that this is the case.

If, on the other hand, we're talking about a specific god, such as the god of the old testament, of the quran or similar, then there is 0% chance that they exist by any logical account since they are internally inconsistent and thus cannot logically exist.

Seconded. However, it's painfully obvious that Iluvatar exists. 100%. :)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There's a 50% chance he exists, and a 50% chance that he doesn't, in my opinion. Either way, I don't think his existence will ever be proven, and we will only know once we move on from this life. But the probability of him not existing is equal to the probability of him being real.

When something is not known, it does not necessarily become a 50/50 chance just because it is not known.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ss,

What are the Odds there's a God?

The ODDS are as good as the odds of *there is no-god?*
It is left to your mind to figure what you are looking for?

Love & rgds

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

That means its 50/50 that anything exists.

There is compelling eviudence there is no God because in all honesty where is this bloke?

ellenjanuary

Speaking of gambling and odds, I think it is very dangerous to gamble with one's soul, for if God does exist and he is a holy God and he sent His Only Son to save us, and we reject Him, we lose big time for he suffered in our place the wages of our sin, so we will suffer eternally in Hell. And if there is no God, we die and no longer exist and still lose. But, if we take a big chance and roll the dice and bet on Jesus being just who he says he is and that anyone who believes in him has everlasting life freely, then we win big time and if we are wrong, we have lived a much more joyful, peaceful, happier life. But luckily there is no gambling involved, the odds are 100% that God exists, loves us and did all he can to save us...the dice is in our hands.

Pascal revisited... Can't gamble with a soul; all come from god, all return to god. Can understand Jesus without Christianity... although, right now, I got a choice between hanging out with Christians or drug addicts... hmmm... hafta think on that one. And, eternal life is now. Born again in Spirit is a one and done kinda deal. I ain't even Christian, I got alla that. So... well. I'm glad you're happy. :)

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
Speaking of gambling and odds, I think it is very dangerous to gamble with one's soul, for if God does exist and he is a holy God and he sent His Only Son to save us, and we reject Him, we lose big time for he suffered in our place the wages of our sin, so we will suffer eternally in Hell. And if there is no God, we die and no longer exist and still lose. But, if we take a big chance and roll the dice and bet on Jesus being just who he says he is and that anyone who believes in him has everlasting life freely, then we win big time and if we are wrong, we have lived a much more joyful, peaceful, happier life. But luckily there is no gambling involved, the odds are 100% that God exists, loves us and did all he can to save us...the dice is in our hands.

If God is loving then why does he punish rational skepticism with such eternal ghastliness? The fact that he would punish free thought with the barbarism that eternal torture is, indicates that he is not a good God like he would make us believe. Maybe God is evil and that explains why he despises skepticism, demands absolute faith, demands worship, and has instigated sexism, genocide, slavery, generational punishment, and religious bigotry. I will like to pose an idea.... Maybe God is lying.

Come on. You would have to be skeptical when a very powerful being claims that he can do anything, knows everything, is all benevolent, and can see everything. It all sounds like a crock.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Based on my limited knowledge of the universe, I think it is just as likely that God exists as that It doesn't.

ellenjanuary

If God is loving then why does he punish rational skepticism with such eternal ghastliness? The fact that he would punish free thought with the barbarism that eternal torture is, indicates that he is not a good God like he would make us believe. Maybe God is evil and that explains why he despises skepticism, demands absolute faith, demands worship, and has instigated sexism, genocide, slavery, generational punishment, and religious bigotry. I will like to pose an idea.... Maybe God is lying.

Come on. You would have to be skeptical when a very powerful being claims that he can do anything, knows everything, is all benevolent, and can see everything. It all sounds like a crock.

What? The NSA knows all, sees all; and disregards all... unless, of course; one mentions "Allah" and "plastique" in the same sentence...

Uh-oh... :eek:

Last edited:

javajo

If God is loving then why does he punish rational skepticism...?
In Romans 5 it says:
10 As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. 19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

No matter if one is a skeptic or agnostic or whatever, we will all give an account of our lives to God, we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and if we are blind to it now, we surely won't be then, and every mouth will be stopped. But, God in his great love for us to save us gave his son, "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."