• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the Central Positive Messages you Learned from the Quran?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Then he (the man) said, "Inform me about Ihsan." He (the Messenger of Allah) answered, " It is that you should serve Allah as though you could see Him, for though you cannot see Him yet He sees you."

Ihsan is a high position a muslim can attend. Islam is not just do Salat, pay Zakat, fast and go to pilgrimage.
I'm not sure how this gives spiritual direction? One would think if someone believed in God that they would be mindful of God always in their actions. But what about the nature of God is taught in how we should as humans act? What attitudes should we assume? What actions are reflective of the spiritual life?

To me the basic question is, 'what does it mean to be spiritual'? Performing religious observances themselves is not what makes someone spiritual, as many who are anything but spiritual can be highly devote in their religious observances. There has to be something more. Like being loving towards all fellow men, do no harm to another, forgive others, be patient, be kind, support each other, etc. Transform your heart into a loving soul, and so on. Or on the deeper levels, seek to be one with God, seek him always with your heart, etc.

I mentioned the Sufis before, who are mystics who seek this unity with God. What is in the Quraan that fires the flame of that sort of seeking? Where does it say abandon your desires for this world and seek God with all your heart and soul?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@Windwalker, the OP had asked about POSITIVE CENTRAL MESSAGES, that INCLUDES spiritual ones. The worshipping rituals of the Quran, especially the prayers is spiritual. God didn't say anything directly about it because once you follow the Quranic orders you will experience it.
I do not doubt that those who have a heart towards God, a devoted heart, will benefit through ritual forms. This is true in all religions. So it's not necessarily the teaching alone that imparts an understanding, but it takes actual practice, and ritual is a tool in this way. I could speak at length about this.

But to me, the ritual reinforces the teachings of the spiritual way. What are those teachings of the spiritual way in the Quraan?

Frankly speaking I only find peace in reciting the Quran. Most people do that and more from saying their prayers. I also long to pay the alms and see how it feels. Our experiences are different.
Yes, there are many ways to know and experience God, and it's not the same for everyone. Which would suggest that there is no one single belief or practice everyone on the planet must follow in order to know God. True?

If God was to explain all our experiences then the Quran would indeed be a really long book. And is it really necessary to do that?
I agree with this, and applied to all revered scriptures. Nothing is spelled out in any one book, and no one book should therefore be considered the "perfect" book that contains all the answers. To me scriptures are snapshots in time of a continuous unfolding of truth, that is found in the hearts of each individual as they seek God.

Last edited:

Sabour

I'm not sure how this gives spiritual direction? One would think if someone believed in God that they would be mindful of God always in their actions. But what about the nature of God is taught in how we should as humans act? What attitudes should we assume? What actions are reflective of the spiritual life?

To me the basic question is, 'what does it mean to be spiritual'? Performing religious observances themselves is not what makes someone spiritual, as many who are anything but spiritual can be highly devote in their religious observances. There has to be something more. Like being loving towards all fellow men, do no harm to another, forgive others, be patient, be kind, support each other, etc. Transform your heart into a loving soul, and so on. Or on the deeper levels, seek to be one with God, seek him always with your heart, etc.

I mentioned the Sufis before, who are mystics who seek this unity with God. What is in the Quraan that fires the flame of that sort of seeking? Where does it say abandon your desires for this world and seek God with all your heart and soul?

Well I do understand that what I mentioned may not reflect much but believe it does. Maybe if we knew about the teaching of Islam it would be more clear.

Let me try to address this:

Like being loving towards all fellow men, do no harm to another, forgive others, be patient, be kind, support each other,

Explanation from the Quraan:
2:177 Righteousness is not that you turn your faces toward the east or the west, but [true] righteousness is [in] one who believes in Allah , the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the prophets and gives wealth, in spite of love for it, to relatives, orphans, the needy, the traveler, those who ask [for help], and for freeing slaves; [and who] establishes prayer and gives zakah; [those who] fulfill their promise when they promise; and [those who] are patient in poverty and hardship and during battle. Those are the ones who have been true, and it is those who are the righteous.

179 And there is for you in legal retribution [saving of] life, O you [people] of understanding, that you may become righteous.

2:44: Do you order righteousness of the people and forget yourselves while you recite the Scripture? Then will you not reason? (البر in Arabic, it has the same meaning as تقوى which is righteousness)

2:25:And give good tidings to those who believe and do righteous deeds that they will have gardens [in Paradise] beneath which rivers flow. Whenever they are provided with a provision of fruit therefrom, they will say, "This is what we were provided with before." And it is given to them in likeness. And they will have therein purified spouses, and they will abide therein eternally.(righteous deeds الصالحات)

42:40 And the retribution for an evil act is an evil one like it, but whoever pardons and makes reconciliation - his reward is [due] from Allah . Indeed, He does not like wrongdoers.

2:237 And if you divorce them before you have touched them and you have already specified for them an obligation, then [give] half of what you specified - unless they forego the right or the one in whose hand is the marriage contract foregoes it. And to forego it is nearer to righteousness. And do not forget graciousness between you. Indeed Allah , of whatever you do, is Seeing.

24:22 And let not those of virtue among you and wealth swear not to give [aid] to their relatives and the needy and the emigrants for the cause of Allah , and let them pardon and overlook. Would you not like that Allah should forgive you? And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

3:159 So by mercy from Allah , [O Muhammad], you were lenient with them. And if you had been rude [in speech] and harsh in heart, they would have disbanded from about you. So pardon them and ask forgiveness for them and consult them in the matter. And when you have decided, then rely upon Allah . Indeed, Allah loves those who rely [upon Him].

41:34 And not equal are the good deed and the bad. Repel [evil] by that [deed] which is better; and thereupon the one whom between you and him is enmity [will become] as though he was a devoted friend.

16:90 Indeed, Allah orders justice and good conduct and giving to relatives and forbids immorality and bad conduct and oppression. He admonishes you that perhaps you will be reminded.

49:13 O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted.

60:8 Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly.

42:43 And whoever is patient and forgives - indeed, that is of the matters [requiring] determination.

13:24 "Peace be upon you for what you patiently endured. And excellent is the final home."

13:22 And those who are patient, seeking the countenance of their Lord, and establish prayer and spend from what We have provided for them secretly and publicly and prevent evil with good - those will have the good consequence of [this] home -

28:54 Whatever you have will end, but what Allah has is lasting. And We will surely give those who were patient their reward according to the best of what they used to do.

49:5 And if they had been patient until you [could] come out to them, it would have been better for them. But Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

3:125 Yes, if you remain patient and conscious of Allah and the enemy come upon you [attacking] in rage, your Lord will reinforce you with five thousand angels having marks [of distinction]

14:12 And why should we not rely upon Allah while He has guided us to our [good] ways. And we will surely be patient against whatever harm you should cause us. And upon Allah let those who would rely [indeed] rely."

11:115 And be patient, for indeed, Allah does not allow to be lost the reward of those who do good.

3:200 O you who have believed, persevere and endure and remain stationed and fear Allah that you may be successful.

16:96 Whatever you have will end, but what Allah has is lasting. And We will surely give those who were patient their reward according to the best of what they used to do.

Draupadi

By Windwalker- I do not doubt that those who have a heart towards God, a devoted heart, will benefit through ritual forms. This is true in all religions. So it's not necessarily the teaching alone that imparts an understanding, but it takes actual practice, and ritual is a tool in this way. I could speak at length about this.

But to me, the ritual reinforces the teachings of the spiritual way. What are those teachings of the spiritual way in the Quraan?

To tell the truth Islam is not so spiritual like the Dharmic religions. And sadly whatever I have told you before is the only answer I have. And like you I am the person who believes that all faith lead to God.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To tell the truth Islam is not so spiritual like the Dharmic religions. And sadly whatever I have told you before is the only answer I have. And like you I am the person who believes that all faith lead to God.
Ah, I see. As I read your responses I could tell you understood the spiritual, and found it by your own personal path within Islam. This I understand. From what little I have read of the Quraan, and the responses in this thread, I liken it more to what the Christians call the Old Testament, very much about rules of society and conduct and conformity to the religion. This in not atypical in a lot of religions, and is what I called earlier "exoteric" religion distinguished from "esoteric" religion. It does have its role, but they're not necessarily following the same trajectory. Not knowing much of the Sufis, I've always been impressed by them as very much about that inner path religion. What do you know of them, and what sort of Wisdom teachings do they use? I know they do use the Quraan, but in what ways? I know that certain of their mystics, like Rumi, speak with great insight and depth. For instance, he says, "My religion is, to live through Love." Or this, "There is a Voice that Doesn’t Use Words. Listen."

Last edited:

Sabour

Ah, I see. As I read your responses I could tell you understood the spiritual, and found it by your own personal path within Islam. This I understand. From what little I have read of the Quraan, and the responses in this thread, I liken it more to what the Christians call the Old Testament, very much about rules of society and conduct and conformity to the religion. This in not atypical in a lot of religions, and is what I called earlier "exoteric" religion distinguished from "esoteric" religion. Not knowing much of the Sufis, I've always been impressed by them as very much about that inner path religion. What do you know of them, and what sort of Wisdom teachings do they use? I know they do use the Quraan, but in what ways?

I think the main thing about them is that they live by what I introduced to you in an earlier reply, that is: Serve God as if you see him, if you don't see Him than He surely sees you. They keep it in their head and try to live by it every moment.

As I told you they do a lot of pondering on Quraan and Hadith.

For example, what would be worshiping God as if you see him? That would be extracted by the Quraan and by the hadith.

Here is a hint.

Chapter 99

1 When the earth is shaken with its [final] earthquake

2 And the earth discharges its burdens

3 And man says, "What is [wrong] with it?" -

4 That Day, it will report its news

5 Because your Lord has commanded it.

6 That Day, the people will depart separated [into categories] to be shown [the result of] their deeds.

7 So whoever does an atom's weight of good will see it,

8 And whoever does an atom's weight of evil will see it.

mahasn ebn sawresho

Hide the sun sieve ---
I want a good education from Islam ---
Educated do not know him from Christianity or Judaism or even Buddhism ----
Islam did not provide a good education to the world and one ----
All made ​​by the teachings of Islam and fighting murder -
Sex and booty ---
And worship the Black Stone in Mecca ---

Pastek

Sunni muslim
A very big problem ----
God curse the < ab-lahab>--
Note that the Koran came down from the sky in much of the night -
God curse ----
Why ----
Because he did not believe in Prophet Muhammad ---
I think that the function of God in Islam ---
The cursed creatures -
God of strange ---

oh --my god----
there no muslim able to explain this qouran text to people ---
it is an important verse --
it learning who you cursed--
it is beautiful from qoran teaching

It's Abu Lahab who cursed Muhammad first.

If Abu Lahab have said -even as a lie- that he accepted Islam, it means that the verse who condamned him was not from God. That Islam is not a true religion because he converted while God said he will be in Hell.

But Abu Lahab never converted (nor his wife) and was an enemy of the Prophet until the end.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I would not say I learned a particular message but I have absorbed great philosophical content from it. While it is not a divine kitab it is a philosophical one and this is of great importance to me since philosophy is far greater than any form of needless theological ramblings.
Allah when taken as a philosophical figure ironically mirrors the cosmos and all it's attributes in a very personified manner. The Qur'an concept of mud'jiza in reality mirror natural events. Everything is purported as divinely created in the Qur'an yet has a stark comparison to the natural world.
Reading the Qur'an is essentially like reading the opinions of Arabian culture at the time. The theological elements are nothing more but exaggerated analogies to the dunya although it is denied.

Now that I think of it, Islam and the Qur'an has given a positive message and it is to ponder at the cosmos and its immaculate existence.

Anbiyya 31: "And We have set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with them, and We have made therein broad highways (between mountains) for them to pass through: that they may receive Guidance."

Yunus 5 "He it is who made the sun a shining brightness and the moon a light, and ordained for it mansions that you might know the computation of years and the reckoning. Allah did not create it but with truth; He makes the signs manifest for a people who know."

ar-Rahman 5 "The sun and moon follow courses exactly computed."

Fussilat 37 "And among his signs are the night and the day and the sun and the moon; do not make obeisance to the sun nor to the moon."

The naturalist miracles of the Qur'an resemble Spinozism and it's philosophical deity

Draupadi

@Windwalker- I don't have much ideas about the sufis. All I know that they follow a mystical path and long to unite with God via spiritual activities like meditations. They are more concerned about their love for God than about this world. Some even don't bother about attaining heaven if I am not wrong. To them God and His love is more important.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
@Windwalker- I don't have much ideas about the sufis. All I know that they follow a mystical path and long to unite with God via spiritual activities like meditations. They are more concerned about their love for God than about this world. Some even don't bother about attaining heaven if I am not wrong. To them God and His love is more important.
You are not wrong. Rabia of Basra, a famous female sufi wrote (or said):

"O God! If I worship You for fear of Hell, burn me in Hell,
and if I worship You in hope of Paradise, exclude me from Paradise.
But if I worship You for Your Own sake,
grudge me not Your everlasting Beauty.”

This is a sentiment with broad application. Most people go through fearing the future and hoping for certain things in the future. The sufi ideal is to do your best and leave the results to God. If you live in fear or in hope, you are not really trusting that God will provide what you really need. And that extends to what happens after death when, having done your best, you trust in a merciful God.

Of course, it's an ideal and vast majority of people, being fallibly human, cannot live that ideal perfectly. But it is a worthwhile ideal to strive for.

firedragon

Veteran Member
In other threads I proposed that the Quran does not promote peaceful values.

Predictably, non-Muslims debated with Muslims about how to interpret the book (and specific verses in the book). Predictably, we seldom reached any consensus.

In this thread I'm hoping we can look at the Quran from a different perspective. There are many Muslims in this forum who have strong, positive feelings about this book. I'm wondering if any of you would offer something like a "Top Ten" or "Top Five" list. Something like:

"The Top 5-10 Positive Messages Offered by the Quran"

(Ultimately, I'm interested in understanding Muslim values and how they differ or are the same as secular values.)

Again, this maybe a late reply but cannot be helped if you do not mind. I will cut and paste which I believe is of no choice.

TRUE TEACHINGS IN THE QURAN

17:36 And do not uphold what you have no knowledge of. For the hearing, eyesight, and mind, all these you are responsible for.

Freedom of Creed
10:99 And had your Lord willed, all the people on the Earth in their entirety would have believed. Would you force the people to make them believe?
Respect for individual privacy
24:27 O you who believe, do not enter any homes except your own unless you are invited and you greet the people in them. This is best for you, perhaps you will remember.

Equality
49:12 O you who believe, you shall avoid much suspicion, for some suspicion is sinful. And do not spy on one another, nor shall you backbite. Would any of you enjoy eating the flesh of his dead brother? You certainly would hate this. You shall observe God. God is Redeemer, Merciful. 49:13 O mankind, We created you from a male and female, and We made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Surely, the most honorable among you in the sight of God is the most righteous. God is Knowledgeable, Expert.

Welfare
30:38 So give the relative his due, and the poor, and the wayfarer. That is best for those who seek God's presence, and they are the successful ones.

No Usury
30:39 And any usury you have taken to grow from the people's money, it will not grow with God. And any contribution that you have placed seeking His presence, then those will be multiplied.
3:130 O you who believe, do not consume usury, compounding over and over; and reverence God that you may succeed.

Right to travel

29:56 "O My servants who believed, My Earth is spacious, so serve only Me."

No eternal/perpetual circulation of wealth (No Monopolization)
59:7 And whatever God provided to His messenger from the people of the townships,then it shall be to God and His messenger, and the relatives, and the orphans, and the poor, and the wayfarer. Thus, it will not remain perpetual circulation by the rich among you. And you may take what the messenger gives you, but do not take what he withholds you from taking. And be aware of God, for God is mighty in retribution.

''My four children will one day live in a nation, when they will not be judged by the colour of their skin, but by the content of their character'' - Martin Luther
King

No racism
49:13 O mankind, We created you from a male and female, and We made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Surely, the most honorable among you in the sight of God is the most righteous. God is Knowledgeable, Expert.

No false slander. But you can stand up for your rights
Allah does not love the public mention of evil words, except by the one who has been wronged. And Allah is All-Hearing, All- Knowing.

Justice
42:39 And those who, when gross injustice befalls them, they seek justice.

Right to demand justice
42:41 And for any who demand action after being wronged, those are not committing any error.

No oppression.
42:42 The error is upon those who oppress the people, and they aggress in the land without cause. For these will be a painful retribution.

Right to borrowed property
4:58 God orders you to deliver anything you have been entrusted with to its owners. And if you judge between the people, then you shall judge with justice. It is always the best that God prescribes for you. God is Hearer, Seer.

Do not harm the environment
55:7 And He raised the heaven and He established the balance. 55:8 Do not transgress in the balance.

Innocence until proven guilty
24:11 Those who have brought forth the false accusation were a group from within you. Do not think it is bad for you, for it is good for you. Every person among them will have what he deserves of the sin. And as for he who had the greatest portion of it, he will have a great retribution.

Punishment cannot exceed the gravity of the crime
16:126 And if you punish, then punish with equivalence to that which you were punished. And if you are patient then it is better for the patient ones.

You must fight on behalf of the weak
4:75 And why do you not fight in the cause of God, when the weak among the men and women and children say: “Our Lord, bring us out of this town whose people are wicked, and grant us from Yourself a Supporter, and grant us from Yourself a Victor!” Charities to be used for just cause 9:60 The charities are to go to the poor, and the needy, and those who work to collect them, and those whose hearts have been united, and to free the slaves, and those in debt, and in the cause of God, and the wayfarer. A duty from God, and God is Knowledgeable, Wise.

You cannot kill unjustly
17:33 And do not kill, for God has made this forbidden, except in the course of justice. And whoever is killed innocently, then We have given his heir authority, so let him not transgress in the taking of a life, for He will be given victory.

Just cause to kill is aggression, but you are not allowed to be the aggressor. 2:190 And fight in the cause of God against those who fight you, but do not transgress, God does not like the aggressors.

2:191 And kill them wherever you overcome them, and expel them from where they expelled you, and know that persecution is worse than being killed. And do not fight them at the Sacred Temple unless they fight you in it; if they fight you then kill them, thus is the recompense of the disbelievers. 2:192 And if they cease, then God is Forgiving, Merciful. 2:193 And fight them so there is no more persecution, and so that the system is God’s. If they cease, then there will be no aggression except against the wicked.

Hope that is a valid answer. If you have more concerns your voice is very much appreciated because it is only logical to question.

Peace

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Hi firedragon,

It's a good answer, thanks. What I'd like to understand is how you know which verses to pay attention to and which to ignore? It always seems to me in situations like this that you already knew these good messages and you found passages in the Quran to support what you already knew in your heart. Is that possible?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Hi firedragon,

It's a good answer, thanks. What I'd like to understand is how you know which verses to pay attention to and which to ignore? It always seems to me in situations like this that you already knew these good messages and you found passages in the Quran to support what you already knew in your heart. Is that possible?

Not really. This is a holistic analysis. If you think otherwise I will reply with proper analysis, of any verse or thought. Anyway, this collection was not originally meant for any other faith but to those who call themselves "Muslims" because most Muslims as anyone else is unaware of the mannerisms, etiquette, and practicality the Quran teaches.

Peace.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Hi firedragon,

It's a good answer, thanks. What I'd like to understand is how you know which verses to pay attention to and which to ignore?

I missed to revert to this part of your question. Muslims believe the Quran is the word of God. You dont throw away any part of the word of God. Every single word and verse has to paid attention to. In fact, when you throw away some verses and pay attention to a few, it is then you go against humanity.

Hope it is okay if I make this statement. We are talking of the Quran brother, not any other book. So, dont generalise. Rather, ask me all your questions going to the nitty-gritty. Make your clarifications.

Peace to you.

icehorse

Premium Member
Hi firedragon,

I understand everything you've said. If every single word is correct, then you must agree that you are anti-semetic and misogynistic. Is that the case? Probably not. I would guess that you have found a way to interpret the anti-semetic and misogynistic verses so that they match your modern values and morals.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Hi firedragon,

I understand everything you've said. If every single word is correct, then you must agree that you are anti-semetic and misogynistic. Is that the case? Probably not. I would guess that you have found a way to interpret the anti-semetic and misogynistic verses so that they match your modern values and morals.

There are no anti-semetic or misogynistic verses unless you have just picked one verse maliciously and purposefully to portray such. I believe you would have seen a verse or two like that on a website or someone told you. Show me such a verse and I will show you why this is just a speculation.

icehorse

Premium Member
Hi firedragon,

I've had this same conversation (perhaps even earlier on this thread)! I'll restate some background:

I spent many weeks reading the entire Quran (okay an English translation). I took many notes as I read. I do not claim to be any sort of Islamic scholar, I read the book as I would read any book, taking the words at face value.

I have had many experiences (on this website), of citing specific verses of the Quran, only to be told that I'm reading the verses wrong. Typically the reasons boil down to some combination of:

1 - I don't have the correct historic context
2 - I didn't properly group together the correct verses to get the true meaning
3 - I need to look at some other verses in some other part of the book

The bottom line is that we can argue endlessly over specific verses. Now I'm a peaceful person. I have no interest in violence towards anyone. With that said, it seems to me that groups like Al Quaeda, and ISIS, and the Taliban, and Boko Haram are making perfectly reasonable interpretations of the Quran. They can find support for being misogynistic, and they are misogynistic. They can find support for being anti-semetic and they are anti-semetic. And on and on. They can find support for wanting to spread Sharia through violence, and they are doing so.

So honestly, i don't care too much about how you find the book to be peaceful. I'm happy for you of course, but it seems clear that in the world many people find the book's messages to be anything but peaceful.

So back to this thread... In my reading of the Quran, I did find a few positive messages. But, the peaceful messages were few and far between, and mostly the messages I read were not peaceful or tolerant. So there is no need for you to point me to the verse that reads "there is no compunction in religion" - I agree, it says that.

But no one has answered how I'm supposed to ignore the 500+ times that the Quran tells Muslims to mistrust and despise non-believers. Somehow each of those 500 times has some "context". I call "nonsense" on that response. Really? Non-believers are criticized over 500 times and I'm not supposed to see that as a theme of the book?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are not wrong. Rabia of Basra, a famous female sufi wrote (or said):

This is a sentiment with broad application. Most people go through fearing the future and hoping for certain things in the future. The sufi ideal is to do your best and leave the results to God. If you live in fear or in hope, you are not really trusting that God will provide what you really need. And that extends to what happens after death when, having done your best, you trust in a merciful God.

Of course, it's an ideal and vast majority of people, being fallibly human, cannot live that ideal perfectly. But it is a worthwhile ideal to strive for.
This all sounds like an ideal every religious person should seek for. To live free of fear allows love to be realized in the moment. I've always had an issue with beliefs that do everything with an eye to an afterlife. It misses the beauty of life in the moment, in the world here and now. To cultivate that inner peace would allow Peace in this world, rather than waiting until after death.