• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the best and worst things about heaven?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
This is fallacious on so many grounds.
1. Jesus taught his own religious BELIEFS. That doesn't make his opinions true.
2. The Bible is a religious text, no different than the Quran or Book of Mormon or Vedas. Appealing to what the Bible says carries no more weight than saying there must be reincarnation because the Hindu texts discuss it.
3. The "teachings of Jesus" are simply legends that the various authors of the gospels collected decades after his death. They are not historically reliable. We really don't know what Jesus said and did.
Well, people can always argue about what's written in the texts that are considered canonical. Naturally that includes Moses, Joshua, Isaiah et al. So I say let them argue. I believe what Isaiah wrote -- (others wrote similar) "“As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,” declares the LORD, “so will your name and descendants endure."
Naturally not all will believe this. The Bible is evidence that at least it is written. And yes, some people believe it. (Shalom, take care, I hope you have a good night.)

YoursTrue

This is fallacious on so many grounds.
1. Jesus taught his own religious BELIEFS. That doesn't make his opinions true.
2. The Bible is a religious text, no different than the Quran or Book of Mormon or Vedas. Appealing to what the Bible says carries no more weight than saying there must be reincarnation because the Hindu texts discuss it.
3. The "teachings of Jesus" are simply legends that the various authors of the gospels collected decades after his death. They are not historically reliable. We really don't know what Jesus said and did.
Believe it or not, I thought about things. I thought about what Dr. Hawking said about the universe. I have come to a different conclusion about this than he had and possibly other scientists do. Because I believe in the everlasting existence of God.
I read recently that the present Pope encourages people to put away weapons of war. Do you think people will listen, including those that laud the Pope?
"Pope Francis on Monday used his annual Christmas address to push for Mideast peace while blasting weapons makers and their “instruments of death” for helping to fuel such conflicts." You think weapon makers will listen? Pope Francis blasts weapons industry as he makes Christmas appeal for peace in the world

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I read recently that the present Pope encourages people to put away weapons of war. Do you think people will listen, including those that laud the Pope?
I hope not. I consider pacifism to be evil, because it disables good so that it cannot fight evil. Remember, for everything there is a season, including a time for war. The Torah says, "Do not stand idly by while your brother's blood is shed." Defending life makes violence necessary sometimes.

YoursTrue

I hope not. I consider pacifism to be evil, because it disables good so that it cannot fight evil. Remember, for everything there is a season, including a time for war. The Torah says, "Do not stand idly by while your brother's blood is shed." Defending life makes violence necessary sometimes.
That's interesting. Of course, even pacifism will not necessarily eliminate all the world's EVIL.

rocala

Sorry @Trailblazer but this did not make much sense to me. You gave us two lists of five factors. Surely to have a "best" and a "worst" the two lists should be absolute opposites of each other. These two though are nothing like that.

YoursTrue

Keep in mind, though, that there are those not involved with a war can be hurt and killed. And in the long run ultimate way, I believe it is GOD who will put an end to all wars.

rocala

Why do they need to be opposites of each other?
For example "There is no way of knowing what it will be like." Yet the five points on the best things list are all indicative of knowing a great deal about what it is like, does not make sense to me.
However "Maybe there are no animals there" surely then the opposite, maybe there are animals there, should be in the first list but it is not mentioned,

YoursTrue

Certainly if someone were attacking me or my family I would seek to defend. But here is what I firmly believe, taken from a psalm of David, Psalm 110, verses 5&6.
The Lord, on your right hand, has crushed kings on the day of His wrath. האֲדֹנָ֥י עַל־יְמִֽינְךָ֑ מָחַ֖ץ בְּיוֹם־אַפּ֣וֹ מְלָכִֽים:
6He will execute justice upon the nations [into] a heap of corpses; He crushed the head on a great land.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
That's interesting. Of course, even pacifism will not necessarily eliminate all the world's EVIL.
Correct. Because right now the problem is human nature. Although we have evolved a conscience, we still have our base animal instincts, do sometimes overrule our conscience in order to get what we want. That's not an ideological problem. That's a people problem.

YoursTrue

Correct. Because right now the problem is human nature. Although we have evolved a conscience, we still have our base animal instincts, do sometimes overrule our conscience in order to get what we want. That's not an ideological problem. That's a people problem.
and so...and so...I won't go any further now to talk about a Messiah or destruction of all evil actions by God.

InChrist

Free4ever
I’ll start. There are a lot more things but these are my top 5.

Best things about heaven:

1. No more cars or traffic.
2. No more houses to take care of.
3. No more physical ailments or physical pain.
4. No more grief when loved ones die.
5. Seeing loved ones again.

Worst things about heaven:

1. There is no way of knowing what it will be like.
2. There is no itinerary.
3. There is no return ticket if we don’t like it.
4. Eternity is a long time.
5. There might be no animals there.
I think everything about heaven is perfect and I can’t imagine any things which would be considered “worst “. Just my thoughts.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think everything about heaven is perfect and I can’t imagine any things which would be considered “worst “. Just my thoughts.
I sure hope that turns out to be the case. :)
My religion also teaches that.

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 345

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm reminded when Imam Ali (a) asked what is dearer to him, to being in paradise or a mosque? He said a Mosque, because in that lies pleasing God while paradise is about God pleasing him.

Heaven being a reward is both good and bad. The bad thing, you can no longer win God's pleasure and mark yourself in your relationship with him. It's a place of reward. But it's also good in that, you can just not worry about that, and just enjoy God's proximity and a place where reality ascends to him therein and everything is linked to tasting God.

Bthoth

*banned*
I’ll start. There are a lot more things but these are my top 5.

Best things about heaven:

1. No more cars or traffic.
2. No more houses to take care of.
3. No more physical ailments or physical pain.
4. No more grief when loved ones die.
5. Seeing loved ones again.

Worst things about heaven:

1. There is no way of knowing what it will be like.
2. There is no itinerary.
3. There is no return ticket if we don’t like it.
4. Eternity is a long time.
5. There might be no animals there.
This is heaven. The place to know life and capable.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Best
1. It doesn't exist, it is all in one's imagination.

Worst (Ignoring the fact that it doesn't exist)
1. There is no escape
2. If the entry criteria are as per The Bible, I doubt any of my friends/family/heroes would be there. So, I'd be stuck for an eternity with a load of boring goody-goodies.