• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Western Taoism

angrymoose

angrymoose
Tao is immediately butchered the moment we attempt to discuss it, wherever we come from. The Tao Te Ching makes that clear in the very first verse.

That's a huge misunderstanding of the verse in question.

What the verse is referring to, is that experience, cannot be fully encapsulated in words. Language is limited in what it is capable of expressing and those things that language cannot express are important. Language can still talk around it.

There is a huge difference between talking about "riding a bike" and doing it.

You can know something about the Tao without knowing anything about Taoist books or Taoist forms. That is the key insight, repeated in different ways by different masters of different traditions, consistently.

The master hockey player (or baseball or cricket or chef) have something in common with the master of K'ung Fu.

The master policitician ...

Generally speaking, Westerners - enamored as we are of making noise and thinking about things - tend to spend a lot of time reading books about Tao

Totally disagree. It rather depends on the westerner. For the record, there are over 1200 books in one of the Taoist canons!!!.

Easterners tend to spend a lot of time meditating, contemplating and practicing taoist art forms (internal martial arts like tai chi or chi kung, calligraphy, acupuncture, meditation).

Again, I'd say depends on the "Easterner". The forms are not the Tao. They are forms.

An intuitive understanding of and connection with the Tao, may have helped people create these forms. Some people find a connection with the Tao through the metaphor that these forms provided.

Lao-Tze wasn't a "Taoist"; I believe Taoism was created several 100 years after the death of whoever wrote the Tao de Jing. It depends on who you ask them.

There are also various religious rituals associated with some sects of Taoism in China, but not all.

Sure there are. And I'm told, many of these sects feel they have the "true" Taoist forms. ;).

I recommend Deng Ming Dao's Scholar Warrior or 365 Tao.
Ha. You claimed books are useless and then recommend a book.

That said, I read one of his books on the I-Ching and it seems good. I'm not an I-ching Taoist. (I don't prescribe to many of the ancient forms but have an interest in learning SOME of them.)

Beware of the hazards of confusing "Taoism" which is Chinese with the Tao that Taoists sought.

If you focus on the forms, you will lose the Tao.

atanu

Premium Member
Totally disagree. It rather depends on the westerner. For the record, there are over 1200 books in one of the Taoist canons!!!.

I will agree with you that it rather depends on the westerner. I alone will know eventually for myself what suits me most. But eventually only. A man often stands at crossroad, confused as to where to go and thus requires a Guru. Very rarely, you will find a very evolved person, who directly takes own heart-consciousness as the Guru-God and does not need an external Guru.

It is true that it is one truth, in whatever name one gives to it, and that truth itself has the overwhelming flow that will takes every being in its own course. It is duty of the seeker to align, as well as he can, to this flow, so that joy is maximised. This is the point of ZenZero. Yet this point itself takes us to another aspect -- a practical one.

How easy it is to break away from one's own tradition?

We must accept the cultural differences, which in Hindu terms equate somewhat to guna - characteristics. Though the characteristics of cultures may be merging now, yet they do have influence. I remember reading 'Tao of Physics', wherein Kapra acknowledges this. He says that the common methods of Hinduism will very unlikely appeal to a common western person. A common western man values individual achievements. A common easterner values contentment much more.

Once we believe that the truth is one, in whatever name called, the traditional prescribed paths must be undestood to have come from that Truth and thus they must be honoured as much as is possible -- without denigrationg another path.

Some teachers have indeed taught Pathlessness. Such as Jiddu Krishnamurty. But that teaching is applicable to his students and not to me. Even a single Guru prescribes differet medicines for different students.

This however is not to discourage the westerner who is already in Tao or who follows Shankara -- rather the opposite. This is a call to take Guru earnestly. A call to honour the path in which providence has stationed one.

angrymoose

angrymoose
I'm unsure if I'm doing full justice to your post which is a bit long. Apologies if I miss good points. Sadly my response is longer still.

We must accept the cultural differences, which in Hindu terms equate somewhat to guna - characteristics. Though the characteristics of cultures may be merging now, yet they do have influence. I remember reading 'Tao of Physics', wherein Kapra acknowledges this. He says that the common methods of Hinduism will very unlikely appeal to a common western person. A common western man values individual achievements. A common easterner values contentment much more.

Well, matters of culture are shades of grey that are in constant flux, even without the marriage of traditions that has been occuring over hundreds and some cases thousands of year. Heck, the cultural diversity in India alone, is mind boggling. Imagine an onion with many layers. Already, 20 seconds into such a conversation, one sees the limits of words and the assumptions that words convey.

As for this idea about "contentment" vs "achievements", I'm unsure its actually true but again, how many cultures are we lumping together in our generalizations?

In my intereactions with easterners, from India and China, I didn't notice less focus on achievements but I think I saw differences in the focus on the individual and on family. Now, the average easterner isn't labeled as "devout" Hindu, Taosist or Budhist, so our shades of grey, grow greyer still

It is duty of the seeker to align, as well as he can, to this flow, so that joy is maximise
d. This is the point of ZenZero. Yet this point itself takes us to another aspect -- a practical one.

Joy is maximized for oneself or for the world around, or somehow both ... Therein lies a tricky distinction. :run:

Well, as I explain above, its not easy to classify one's tradition, let alone to decide whether its worthy of being "broken away" from. Suffice to say, some people find additional inspirations in other traditions.

As a western Taoist, I've certainly learned much by reading the works of some monks, poets and wise people from eastern cultures. But to deny that I've learned wisdom from informed western sources would be dishonest and indeed for me to ignore a source because said source is western would be likewise insane.

Stereotypically, its said the easterner looks at the "whole" whereas the westerner looks at the parts. And yet, thermodynamics is a science focused on looking at the whole rather than the parts.

Once we believe that the truth is one, in whatever name called, the traditional prescribed paths must be undestood to have come from that Truth and thus they must be honoured as much as is possible -- without denigrationg another path.

I agree mostly with a qualification. The "truth" is multi-faceted and it has many sides.

I don't know if the story is Indian but during a course I was told about the 6 blind men who were describing an elephant.

What many westerners perhaps like about the Taoist philosophers was their ability to shift perspectives.

Some teachers have indeed taught Pathlessness. Such as Jiddu Krishnamurty. But that teaching is applicable to his students and not to me. Even a single Guru prescribes differet medicines for different students.

Well, I think there is a huge power in the mediphor of a grain of salt.

I certainly an open to the existence of other paths but with respect to medicine, I think that while traditional ideas may be useful in some contexts, (the ancients tried things and likely found a great deal of things that worked), I suspect that the sciences of nutrition and medicine provide the best framework to find these sorts of truths. Note: this is different that finding ways to "live better" and get health through happiness, excercise whatever. Science still has something to say about such things but

When I say I follow Tao, it doesn't commit me to follow the medicines of the 13th century T'ang dynasty or to follow palm reading, face reading, or whatever.

This however is not to discourage the westerner who is already in Tao or who follows Shankara -- rather the opposite. This is a call to take Guru earnestly. A call to honour the path in which providence has stationed one.

Perhaps a guru could be judged by the fruits of his teachings? I'm unsure.

What allows you to label one man "Guru" and another "unenlightened"? Therein lies a question not easily answered. Certain this question is illustrated by the large numbers of sects, some of which don't acknowledge the "truth" of the others.

As to the "path of providence", it becomes meaningless; i.e., whether it is "providence" or free will has no bearing to you. Its at another level above yours. It is impossible not to follow the path of providence.

Now, whether that path is "more western" or more "eastern" might depend on the actions one takes.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend atanu,

As easy as to be simply aware of that MIND itself that holds to it.

Simply; constantly observe the mind without doing anything.
If traditions have to be followed, follow it BUT constantly be aware of the min's activity.
Traditionally in sanatan dharma most meditators were trying to CONTROL the MIND. Mind is not to be controlled neither is BREATHING to be CONTROLLED.
Allow things to happen on their own through the form that *you are*.
To do so one needs to be aware and in that awareness slowly existence will find ways and means that is required for that form *you* has to comply with to maintain the required balance.

Kindly expand your query directly for it to be expounded on!

Love & rgds

atanu

Premium Member
Friend atanu,

Traditionally in sanatan dharma most meditators were trying to CONTROL the MIND. Mind is not to be controlled neither is BREATHING to be CONTROLLED.

Love & rgds

That is not correct.

What is mindfullness?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend atanu,

That is not correct.
Could be a misunderstanding as Swami Sivananda has written the book *The Mind and its control* led to such an idea taking form but never was much importance attributed to it as such was not the experience.
So, do expound on the ways where one is free from controls either external or internal.

Mindfullness simply means to be AWARE to be CONSCIOUS of the moment at hand.

Love & rgds

atanu

Premium Member
Friend atanu,
Could be a misunderstanding as Swami Sivananda has written the book *The Mind and its control* -----

Love & rgds

It is only play of words, IMO. Do you hold the notion that to be aware every moment is not mind control? It is the greatest mind control. In Buddhism , the practice of meditation is not stand alone but is accompanied with school specific teachings to follow the path prescribed by Buddha.

The whole of Yoga Sutra is also about that. If one is not following/practising the yama-niyama, then mind control is a form of dictatorship -- it will be unnatural and coercive. For one who follows yama-niyama, the mind's external flights will automatically be reduced. Similar is taught in Gita.

The highest teaching of Yoga Sutra is that meditation comes to those who feel happiness with happiness of others and empathise with sorrow of others. I have experienced that without fulfilling these two pre-requisites, the meditation fails. And actually, every theology teaches this -- to be one (or at least friendly) with one's environment.

Teaching is same everywhere. But cultural differences of the time/moment must be honoured. That is my understanding based on teaching of my teacher. This general aspect will apply to everyone actually.

(Though my teacher teaches as you that the boundaries are in the mind alone, yet he does not recommend to ignore the presriptions of a particular culture, pending mastery over mind).

regrds

atanu

Premium Member
Friend atanu,

Love & rgds

Hi dearest friend

The above lengthy post of mine was not required.

I hold that to be aware of every moment is the greatest mastery over mind and in other words greatest control over the mind.

What else?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend atanu,

What else?
Only this that the word *control* implies a controller and the controlled. Whereas being aware /conscious simply means observing or witness the going ons of the moment without getting attached to it.
The attachment is due to the inherent nature of the mind.
A form is at one end the mind and the other end the no-mind. Mind is that which only depends on whatever is perceived / observed and so is physical and body related whereas no-mind is the subtle end of the body that connects with the *whole* and so unattached.
This is DUALITY but as already stated are *not two*.
Understanding of this in itself is enough for detachment from either.

You are free to discuss with your guruji for confirmation if required; without understanding practice is ineffective is the experience.

Love & rgds

atanu

Premium Member
Friend atanu,

Only this that the word *control* implies a controller and the controlled.

Hello Friend

See, this is what has been indicated earlier also. "control' is only a word -- a label :D. Same as being an 'observer', which is another label.

To be an 'observer' /'Seer', of every moment, one has to master one's own mind. There is no duality. :)

Regards

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend atanu,

master one's own mind

Sorry the word master implies a follower.
Am stating of where there is neither a master or follower a state of oneness where both the mind and no-mind is observed.
[everything is a label is well understood]

Love & rgds

atanu

Premium Member
Friend atanu,
Sorry the word master implies a follower.
Am stating of where there is neither a master or follower a state of oneness where both the mind and no-mind is observed.
[everything is a label is well understood]

Love & rgds

Hi ZenZero

Let us agree to diagree. To me '----one has to master one's own mind ---', does not involve a master and a slave.

Sorry for the disagreement. :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend atanu,

Let us agree to diagree. To me '----one has to master one's own mind ---', does not involve a master and a slave.

Sorry for the disagreement.
Am both in agreement and disagreement!

Love & rgds

Alceste

Vagabond
That's a huge misunderstanding of the verse in question.

What the verse is referring to, is that experience, cannot be fully encapsulated in words. Language is limited in what it is capable of expressing and those things that language cannot express are important.
Yes, that is what I said.
Language can still talk around it.

If that's what you're into, don't let me stop you. :)

angrymoose

angrymoose
That's what I said

Well, that's not what I got out of it:
1) You seemed to over empasize SPECIFIC "Taoist" pursuits, noble that said pursuits may be in some cases, over other "modern pursuits"!!! Being a master of say, computer programming or modern medicine or cooking can be as valid from a Taoist perspective as any of the arts you've mentioned!!!
2) You underemphasized the value of reading from the masters and discussion. Taoism does involve a marriage of thought with action but it doesn't mean that said discussions are useless. Rather they are insufficient.

If that's what you're into, don't let me stop you. :)

I was discussing what ANY book or explaination does, including the noble works of Chung-zi or Lao-Zi. They "talk around" what the Tao is. I was NOT saying, that reading these books is sufficient to learn the Tao. They are GUIDES to help you fibnd our own path.

Alceste

Vagabond
Angrymoose, from my perspective, arguing about the tao is even less appealing than trying to explain it.

angrymoose

angrymoose
Angrymoose, from my perspective, arguing about the tao is even less appealing than trying to explain it.

Who said we were arguing?

Do you believe, in order to "know the Tao", you need to know any of the Taoist arts?

Your mind seems closed.

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Let us allow our mind clouds to go away to enable us to find a clear reflection of the moon as the ripples had stopped long back for the lake to still but the clouds hanging in the sky still holds back the reflection.

Well there is no arguments in as much as religion is concerned as only by opening the minds one finds the limits and till limits exists the oneness is not complete.

Friend angrymoose do carry on with your minds misunderstandings for only then will the clouds of doubts lift.

Love & rgds

Alceste

Vagabond
Who said we were arguing?

Do you believe, in order to "know the Tao", you need to know any of the Taoist arts?

I think this question is misleading. What's "knowing the tao"?

I think some of the taoist arts are useful (meditation, tai chi, qigong, in some cases acupuncture) for maintaining health and longevity.

Your mind seems closed.

lol.

angrymoose

angrymoose
I think this question is misleading. What's "knowing the tao"?

Hehehe, so it is. ;). Realistically, one can only "connect" with "parts of a complete understanding." But i was refering with a sort of wu-wei connection with some aspect one needs to learn.

I think some of the taoist arts are useful (meditation, tai chi, qigong, in some cases acupuncture) for maintaining health and longevity.

I think they are useful too. I just don't think those given arts are exclusively useful. A person could perhaps, for all I know, gain the same benefits from saty, yoga or cross-country skiing as from Tai Chi

To be clear, I LOVE the Chinese culture and they've created some art forms that blow me away. I loved their tea stuff; some people told me it could have been fraudulent but there was something behind the ceremonies I saw that was real to me.

Oh my God, the master's of Asian cuisine; I can tell you about the MalaTofu I had in China from a Chef who made it specially for me

I may take something with no Chinese Taoist influence like say Darwin's theory of evolution, Carnot's book on steam engine's, or 7 Habbits of Highly Effective People and find Taoist insights in them.

Darwin's theory of evolution gives deep insights into the nature of life. Carnot's book on steam engine was the basis of the thermodynamics which drives everything.

In general, when I see books or methods that say "go slow to go fast", involving an understanding of the way things work and people's motivations and which seem to use "common sense" with no promises and which involve enlightened co-operation, I associate them with Taoist traditions.

I find the software process known as "Scrum" to have Taoist principles underlying it. Hard to explain. And in software, we have a discipline known as "Design Patterns" which I think of as rather Taoistic.

Now, I've read the book of 5 Rings (Zen really but tao-like), the Art of War, Lao-Tzi, bits of Chuang-Tzi, and bits and pieces of other translations of Zen and Taoist works that had similar insights.