• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well you learn something new everyday, Atheism is a religion

Darkforbid

I get quite a similar response from fans of Twilight when I question the quality of their books too.

Does that make Twilight a religion?

vampirism is not considered a religion, but rather, a spiritual or philosophical path. Are you saying atheism is a spiritual/philosophical path?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
vampirism is not considered a religion, but rather, a spiritual or philosophical path. Are you saying atheism is a spiritual/philosophical path?
You realize that being a fan of a book/movie series isn't the same as being an actual vampire, right?

Or does following the Bible make you the son of God? Or does being a Transformers fan make you a Transformer? Because, if so, I have a lot of pop culture to get into.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know I can't figure their obsession with religion out
First, let's say that "obsession" just means "interested", but with a negative connotation.

I'm not religious, but I'm interested in religion.
It greatly affects us all.
Other things similarly affect us....
I'm not a politician, but I'm interested in politics.
I'm not an economist, but I'm interested in economics.
Same goes for astronomy, biology, etc, etc.
How about you....have you interests in things outside of your own beliefs or fields?

Btw, atheism is a religion for legal purposes, ie, protected groups.

Darkforbid

You realize that being a fan of a book/movie series isn't the same as being an actual vampire, right?

Or does following the Bible make you the son of God? Or does being a Transformers fan make you a Transformer? Because, if so, I have a lot of pop culture to get into.

So you don't understand that somethings are followed religiously

Darkforbid

First, let's say that "obsession" just means "interested", but with a negative connotation.

I'm not religious, but I'm interested in religion.
It affects us all.
Other things affect us....
I'm not a politician, but I'm interested in politics.
I'm not an economist, but I'm interested in economics.
Same goes for astronomy, biology, etc, etc.
How about you....have you interests in things outside of your own beliefs or fields?

Btw, atheism is a religion for legal purposes, ie, protected groups.

Yep, loads

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I use that defined by the OED

the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Other dictionaries seems to agree
Popular dictionaries are descriptive. They report the common usage in the time and regions they were published.
For technical discussion more in-depth analysis is needed.

Last edited:

Darkforbid

And you don't understand the difference between following something religiously and something being a literal religion.

So this in no way resembles religion?
article-2499292-1956D71600000578-896_634x377.jpg

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
And not just one religion, many religions? I know I didn't even think it was a religion, but that's the claim being made by religious atheistsView attachment 33858

It's a book about how an atheist can find some value from the "culture" of religion without the need to buy into its supernatural doctrine.

So an atheist could choose to be a part of a social religious community for other reasons besides supernatural belief.

HonestJoe

You know one of the best arguments for atheism being a religion was from someone who clearly demonstrated that you get very much the same response from atheist as theists when their beliefs are questioned
Why would that be? Theism isn't a religion either?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheists can be religious. Atheism isn't a religion.
And...atheists don't speak for me.
You can find atheists claiming all sorts of crap I don't agree with. And others claiming crap I do.

Sounds very denominational, what sect of Atheism are you from? :)

Regards Tony

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
And not just one religion, many religions? I know I didn't even think it was a religion, but that's the claim being made by religious atheistsView attachment 33858
Did you read it, or are you just mocking it on principle? Botton, a well-respected Swiss philosopher who I have read (not extensively) has written quite a few books emphasizing the relevance of philosophy to everyday life.

There's wisdom there, for anybody seeking it. Or a target for ridicule, if that's your preference, I suppose.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
And religions can be godless so how does not believing in God make atheism not a religion

So, if a person is an atheist, and a LeVeyan Satanist, his religion is Satanism...not atheism.
if a person is a theist, and a Theological Satanist, his religion is Satanism...not theism.

Simples!!
Although I might have made it more confusing that I need to by using Satanism as an example in both instances. Oh well.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you read it, or are you just mocking it on principle? Botton, a well-respected Swiss philosopher who I have read (not extensively) has written quite a few books emphasizing the relevance of philosophy to everyday life.

There's wisdom there, for anybody seeking it. Or a target for ridicule, if that's your preference, I suppose.

Both! The answer is always both. Take the wisdom and ridicule the marketing, is my general approach.