• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Can't Fix the World, So Now What?

Wandering Monk

You mean like this? From 7.76 million in 2008 to 5.42 million in 2017, a 30% drop.

number-of-under-five-deaths-by-region.png

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Per capita is the only meaningful way to compare when you are comparing population changes.
Come on you can do it. What is the raw number of child deaths during 1950 and then we can contrast that raw number of child deaths against the raw number of child deaths during 2018

Bird123

Just about everyone of us can see that this world is full of problem, so much so that some of us think humanity may be at the brink of extinction. We all have our personal catalog of the various problems we believe the world faces, my own personal list of troubles includes: War, famine, poverty, greed, homelessness, sexism, racism, capitalism, YouTube unboxing channels and the Kardashians.

It is in my opinion that the world would be a much better and much friendlier place in we could only solve all these problem. So my mind cooks up plans on how we should deal with these problems, like this guy did:

ncatra1q64r21.gif

But is it truly my responsibility to fix all the world's problems? Why in the world do we take it upon ourselves to think that if only we did something, we could fix it? So, it seems to be this wanting to fxi the world is a temptation, a desire that leads us into sin and suffering. We desire control, we desire people conform to our beliefs and we desire that it all goes our way. And soon it is our way or the highway and the boots start marching a long as they are been doing throughout history. And it looks like the best laid plans of mice and men come to naught once again.

So now what do we do? Is there anything we can fix? I can assure you there is somethings can do, particularly we should firstly follow Socrates dictum "Know thyself" and believe one the reason we love to look at the world's problems and center ourselves on fixing them instead of examining our own lives and fixing what is going on inside of us as individuals is because the darkness outside of us seems more easy to deal with, because we have all these messiahs, politicians and others saying they have solution and we are in great company with the other legion of followers.

But to "know thyself" is to go on a lonely journey into the dark recesses of the self and lay our eyes bare on our own human nature and acknowledge that we are all evil, all egotistical and we are all disgusting. It is a frightening journey.

Has religion corrupted your view?

Kiddies will make a few bad choices until they learn all sides by which they will discover the Best choices. Is this really Evil? Sure people are making choices you would never do, however in a multilevel classroom some are just learning lessons you might already know. Further, they might never make the bad choices you would. Is this a reason to hate or to label them as Evil? Of course not.

Ego does get in the way of so much learning. On the other hand people whose Egos are suppressed become jellyfish, needing crutches to help them to even choose anything.

Are we all really disgusting? Diversity is part of what makes things so great. Simply because people are different or are learning does not make them disgusting. People are Wonderful Works of Art!! Each unique in their own way. Further, there will never be duplicates. Yes, Diversity is important.

WE all have the Power to choose what we deem important. We can choose to value and see the bad choices people make, deeming them evil and hating, OR we can choose to see the goodness in them.

I can tell you this. God does not see His children as Rotten and Evil as so many religions are teaching people.

Finally, I'll give a little advice. You are right that we are here to learn and that we have our own challenges. People sometimes run from their problems and the Drama around them. Problems only go away after the lessons are learned and the problem solved. I say meet them head on. We are all meant to overcome them and win.

Change the world: When you change yourself by learning your lessons, you will change the world. The ripples from your choices will reach more than you can imagine.

No one can guaranty the actions of another. It is not our job to forcibly change another. It is our job to make good choices. People must make their own choices freely. They must learn through their free choices which are the Best choices. This can never be forced on someone. God doesn't do it, why should we.

Interaction is key in God's system of our learning. Point them in the right direction, then leave the rest up to them. Acquire a wider view. Someone might be pointing you in the right direction or supplying you with wisdom and in comes from who you least expect, like someone you have labelled.

This world is a multilevel classroom. When students learn, they move on. They are replaced with new students needing to learn. I would not count on this world drastically changing for there are many many lessons the kiddies need to learn.

Look at this world and it's people again. It is a Masterpiece!!

Well, OK! That's what I am seeing.

Wandering Monk

97.4 million births in 1950, with 22.5% mortality: 21.95 million deaths

140.9 million births in 2015 with a 4.5% mortality: 6.3 million deaths.

Which number is bigger? Come on, you can do it.

annual-number-of-births-by-world-region.png
child-mortality-around-the-world.png

Jim

Nets of Wonder
((Talking about totals and averages of economic measurements diverts attention from the issues that I think need the most attention. One example is the gap between the extremes. Another is how much people are actually enjoying life. Another is how to stop sectarian hatreds from blowing up the world.))

Wandering Monk

((Talking about totals and averages of economic measurements diverts attention from the issues that I think need the most attention. One example is the gap between the extremes. Another is how much people are actually enjoying life. Another is how to stop sectarian hatreds from blowing up the world.))

Are You in the Top One Percent of the World?

Who exactly are the 1 percent worldwide? The surprising answer: If you’re an American, you don’t have to even be close to being uber-rich to make the list.

Global Rich List, a website that brings awareness to worldwide income disparities, an income of $32,400 a year will allow you to make the cut. $32,400 amounts to roughly:​

• 28,614 euros
  • 2.307 million Indian rupees
  • 218,532 Chinese yuan

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
We cannot fix the world. We don't need to.

Fix ourselves and the world will take care of itself.

Ah...and therein lies the crux of the whole dilemma. How many people really believe that *they* need fixing? Its everyone else who needs fixing...Right? And they need fixing according to *their* personal interpretation of what is right and what is wrong......see the problem?

Humans will never get there on their own....how many thousands of years have we been trying? And still we see national leaders threatening war. :facepalm:

The Reverend Bob

97.4 million births in 1950, with 22.5% mortality: 21.95 million deaths

140.9 million births in 2015 with a 4.5% mortality: 6.3 million deaths.

Which number is bigger? Come on, you can do it.

View attachment 30341 View attachment 30342
Now let us look at what the UN says. They say that we cannot accurately predict the rate of child mortality because the numbers are largely unreported but what we do know is that 420 million children live in a war zone and not only that according to the UN more than 15,000 children under the age of five die from malnutrition everyday, 65% of all births take place in low- and lower-middle-income countries—such as Mongolia and Vietnam. However, these countries account for 90% of all childhood deaths under 5. This is up from 79% of child deaths in 1990. We are seeing no significant change in infant death rates and child mortality in developed countries such as the US which has one of the highest infant death rate for any first world nation . 155 million children are suffering from chronic malnutrition globally. These are for the most part raw numbers.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
((This is for any interest that anyone might have in helping to improve the lives of all people everywhere, and not for some at the expense of others. I think that the statistics being discussed here have little or nothing to do with how much people are enjoying the best possibilities in life. Possibly some better indications might be how much alarm and anger there is all around, how many drugs people are taking to try to feel better, and how desperately people are searching for ways to improve their lives and/or to feel better about themselves. If it’s possible at all to improve the lives of all people everywhere at the same time, part of what I think is needed is for that to be a higher priority for more people, in their personal development and the way they live their lives. One way I see for that to happen is for people to see the light in some of the stories and scriptures of religions, and to follow it, side by side with some other people. Part of what I see hiding that light and diverting attention from it are the beliefs associated with the religions, and religious leaders and their followers competing with each other and denouncing each other, promoting their beliefs and quote-mining their scriptures out of context, instead of telling the stories that are part of the context that is needed to see the light in them.))

The Reverend Bob

((This is for any interest that anyone might have in helping to improve the lives of all people everywhere, and not for some at the expense of others. I think that the statistics being discussed here have little or nothing to do with how much people are enjoying the best possibilities in life. Possibly some better indications might be how much alarm and anger there is all around, how many drugs people are taking to try to feel better, and how desperately people are searching for ways to improve their lives and/or to feel better about themselves. If it’s possible at all to improve the lives of all people everywhere at the same time, part of what I think is needed is for that to be a higher priority for more people, in their personal development and the way they live their lives. One way I see for that to happen is for people to see the light in some of the stories and scriptures of religions, and to follow it, side by side with some other people. Part of what I see hiding that light and diverting attention from it are the beliefs associated with the religions, and religious leaders and their followers competing with each other and denouncing each other, promoting their beliefs and quote-mining their scriptures out of context, instead of telling the stories that are part of the context that is needed to see the light in them.))
I am going to address what is up with spiritual solutions also, but someone is taking my time with how secular solutions are working

Reactions: Jim

dianaiad

Ah...and therein lies the crux of the whole dilemma. How many people really believe that *they* need fixing? Its everyone else who needs fixing...Right? And they need fixing according to *their* personal interpretation of what is right and what is wrong......see the problem?

Humans will never get there on their own....how many thousands of years have we been trying? And still we see national leaders threatening war. :facepalm:

And your solution is...what, precisely?

To decide that everybody else needs fixing according to your standards?

See, just because the solution is difficult...even well nigh impossible...doesn't mean it's not the correct solution. ;)