• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Can't Fix the World, So Now What?

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Just about everyone of us can see that this world is full of problem, so much so that some of us think humanity may be at the brink of extinction. We all have our personal catalog of the various problems we believe the world faces, my own personal list of troubles includes: War, famine, poverty, greed, homelessness, sexism, racism, capitalism, YouTube unboxing channels and the Kardashians.

It is in my opinion that the world would be a much better and much friendlier place in we could only solve all these problem. So my mind cooks up plans on how we should deal with these problems, like this guy did:

ncatra1q64r21.gif

But is it truly my responsibility to fix all the world's problems? Why in the world do we take it upon ourselves to think that if only we did something, we could fix it? So, it seems to be this wanting to fxi the world is a temptation, a desire that leads us into sin and suffering. We desire control, we desire people conform to our beliefs and we desire that it all goes our way. And soon it is our way or the highway and the boots start marching a long as they are been doing throughout history. And it looks like the best laid plans of mice and men come to naught once again.

So now what do we do? Is there anything we can fix? I can assure you there is somethings can do, particularly we should firstly follow Socrates dictum "Know thyself" and believe one the reason we love to look at the world's problems and center ourselves on fixing them instead of examining our own lives and fixing what is going on inside of us as individuals is because the darkness outside of us seems more easy to deal with, because we have all these messiahs, politicians and others saying they have solution and we are in great company with the other legion of followers.

But to "know thyself" is to go on a lonely journey into the dark recesses of the self and lay our eyes bare on our own human nature and acknowledge that we are all evil, all egotistical and we are all disgusting. It is a frightening journey.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Just about everyone of us can see that this world is full of problem, so much so that some of us think humanity may be at the brink of extinction. We all have our personal catalog of the various problems we believe the world faces, my own personal list of troubles includes: War, famine, poverty, greed, homelessness, sexism, racism, capitalism, YouTube unboxing channels and the Kardashians.

It is in my opinion that the world would be a much better and much friendlier place in we could only solve all these problem. So my mind cooks up plans on how we should deal with these problems, like this guy did:

ncatra1q64r21.gif

But is it truly my responsibility to fix all the world's problems? Why in the world do we take it upon ourselves to think that if only we did something, we could fix it? So, it seems to be this wanting to fxi the world is a temptation, a desire that leads us into sin and suffering. We desire control, we desire people conform to our beliefs and we desire that it all goes our way. And soon it is our way or the highway and the boots start marching a long as they are been doing throughout history. And it looks like the best laid plans of mice and men come to naught once again.

So now what do we do? Is there anything we can fix? I can assure you there is somethings can do, particularly we should firstly follow Socrates dictum "Know thyself" and believe one the reason we love to look at the world's problems and center ourselves on fixing them instead of examining our own lives and fixing what is going on inside of us as individuals is because the darkness outside of us seems more easy to deal with, because we have all these messiahs, politicians and others saying they have solution and we are in great company with the other legion of followers.

But to "know thyself" is to go on a lonely journey into the dark recesses of the self and lay our eyes bare on our own human nature and acknowledge that we are all evil, all egotistical and we are all disgusting. It is a frightening journey.

Great post. I bestow you a Winner rating and an internet.

Nimos

Why would we have to acknowledge that we are all evil, egotistical and disgusting? That seems to be a negative starting point?

The Reverend Bob

Don't know who Terrence are :)

How did you come to believe that these are truth about human nature?
A little bird named Jung told me and when you observe human behavior (my own included) and history you can't help but notice certain themes and tropes dominate it. Like the trope were most people like to be in denial about their shadow side and believe that inside they are ultimately good people.

Nimos

A little bird named Jung told me and when you observe human behavior (my own included) and history you can't help but notice certain themes and tropes dominate it. Like the trope were most people like to be in denial about their shadow side and believe that inside they are ultimately good people.
At which point in a humans life do you decide that we are talking about human nature? or do you see human behavior as being the same or different from human nature?

74x12

ncatra1q64r21.gif

Things will only get worse. There is no salvation for the world. Only individuals.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

ncatra1q64r21.gif

The Kardashians are pure evil, but I do not know how to stop them.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I don’t see any reason to deny our lower nature to also acknowledge our higher nature.
It seems to me man is capable of both good and evil, so why be in denial about the good just because the evil exists?

The Reverend Bob

I don’t see any reason to deny our lower nature to also acknowledge our higher nature.
Maybe we show ourselves to be of a higher nature by acknowledging our lower nature like Socrates suggested

It seems to me man is capable of both good and evil, so why be in denial about the good just because the evil exists?
So you believe that people can be divided into two camps? That there are good people and then there are bad people?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Maybe we show ourselves to be of a higher nature by acknowledging our lower nature like Socrates suggested

So you believe that people can be divided into two camps? That there are good people and then there are bad people?
There are people who make good choices a reasonable degree of the time and people who make bad choices enough of the time to require their isolation, until they can be reformed.

It is probably an oversimplification, but not bad as a general rule imo

The Reverend Bob

There are people who make good choices a reasonable degree of the time and people who make bad choices enough of the time to require their isolation, until they can be reformed.

It is probably an oversimplification, but not bad as a general rule imo
Do believe that the people who make good choices a reasonable degree of the time are better than does who make bad choices enough of the time that you would isolate them?