• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We all have our idols

Music

It is not only religous folks who have their idols. Others do too. Money could be an idol, sometimes ideas and ideals. Or celebrities, nations, one's profession, just about anything that fills the emptiness in our hearts. In short, most people in this world are idolators one way or another.

Although I am no believer, I do admire the Hebrew prophets for having had this wonderful insight. They were most likely the first, plus they tirelessly worked toward educating people on the dangers of idolatry.

So to me, this isn't just about religion. If it were, I wouldn't have cared. It is a deep insight into why humans have a natural tendency to seek idols, and how such behavior invariably leads to conflict on all levels.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I remember discussing this in a Philosophy course I took. We talked about how anything could be a "God" or idol, even ourselves. It was described as something that was so important to someone, the person is obsessed by it.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
From a Hindu perspective, what you are speaking of is from my understand the effects of Maya and the sense of incompleteness of Self. We are always looking for something external to fill the hole inside. But external things cannot complete us. To find real happiness and unity with the Divine, we need to search within our own self (we believe that God is in the core of our own individual selves as well as separately).

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Seems like nowadays the biggest idol for the ultra-religous is the religion itself.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The things which some people will believe......
images

Music

From a Hindu perspective, what you are speaking of is from my understand the effects of Maya and the sense of incompleteness of Self. We are always looking for something external to fill the hole inside. But external things cannot complete us. To find real happiness and unity with the Divine, we need to search within our own self (we believe that God is in the core of our own individual selves as well as separately).

But Hinduism has multiple gods, each representing a certain thing in the material world - wealth, success etc. this indirectly leads to idolatry.

gnomon

I don't have any idols.

But I'm also a pessimist who adheres to cynical views of humanity.

So does that mean a concept such as cynicism is my idol? Would seem to render the concept of idols as moot.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
But Hinduism has multiple gods, each representing a certain thing in the material world - wealth, success etc. this indirectly leads to idolatry.

A person who actually studies Vedic scriptures will not be inclined to worshiping material things. In fact, any attachment to the material world will keep us in bondage. So what you are saying is not relevant to Hindu religion.

MD

qualiaphile
I don't have any idols.

But I'm also a pessimist who adheres to cynical views of humanity.

So does that mean a concept such as cynicism is my idol? Would seem to render the concept of idols as moot.

Asimov perhaps?

gnomon

Asimov perhaps?

I like him but don't idolize him. I'm quick to say that I found Foundation interesting but it's a slow read and never read the rest of the series. However, Asimov's "Last Question" is the best speculative short narrative I've ever read.

MD

qualiaphile
I like him but don't idolize him. I'm quick to say that I found Foundation interesting but it's a slow read and never read the rest of the series. However, Asimov's "Last Question" is the best speculative short narrative I've ever read.

I won't lie, he had a huge influence on me as a child. I was actually an agnostic as a teenager before I became a theist. My favorite short story was 'The Last Answer'.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Take away our idols and our whole race will collapse. Our flags, sports teams, companies, gods, beliefs, cars, yachts, collections etc, and (sadly, sometimes) even our selves.

All as important to humans as status is to dogs. Is there anybody out there who can successfully claim to have no idol at all, of any kind? I wish I could make such claim, but I both adore and idolise.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there anybody out there who can successfully claim to have no idol at all, of any kind?

I can't think of anyone or anything that I idolise. There are people and things i admire and aspire to for various reasons but I wouldn't say I idolise them.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Take away our idols and our whole race will collapse. Our flags, sports teams, companies, gods, beliefs, cars, yachts, collections etc, and (sadly, sometimes) even our selves.

All as important to humans as status is to dogs. Is there anybody out there who can successfully claim to have no idol at all, of any kind? I wish I could make such claim, but I both adore and idolise.
Sorry, but no. Not everyone is so materialistic as to base their identity on that kind of crap.

As to whether I'm free of idols, it depends on your nuance. If it's just something I really like, sure, I've got plenty. Nothing I couldn't live without,though. And I seriously doubt you mean it terms of idolatry, which I avoid like the plague.