• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the war in Iraq Justified?

Aquitaine

Kai said:
I do agree however Dyncorp needed looking at:

http://www.sigir.mil/reports/pdf/audits/10-008.pdf

I honestly haven't bothered to read the entire report, but I'm already aware that DynCorp has received a fair amount of media attention for their lack of proper oversight, just as with Halliburton when they had virtually no Federal oversight for the first year of the conflict etc.

This occupation is being carried out by private companies who ripp off the Federal Government for their services, in the form of cost-plus award fee contracts.

As for the Police Trainers from DynCorp, yep from what I was told they were all pretty useless - earning more than 100K and all the did was sit around until the time came for an evaluation of their progress - in which they simply asked to follow the real Police trainers around and just take notes in the back of classrooms etc. Just so they could say they've "been there, helping to train the Iraqis with the British".

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I feel fine about it

I'm sure that you can understand why other people might not be so eager to fund wars in faraway places, just to overthrow mean rulers of sovereign nations.

Do you see how other people might prefer that those taxes being raised would prefer to use them to fund upgrades to the education system, or to improve the infrastructure of the country?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Once the forces that dont want to see a free Iraq set about their work we had no choice but to stick it out.
That should have been considered before any actual invasion plans were made though. It should have been known that Saddam, although a violent dictator, kept the opposing factions at bay as best as could be done. With no one to rule with an iron fist, the only foreseeable outcome in such a region is civil war. Even when the troops are gone, a democratic rule will not last long as, nor will any rule until the next dictator comes along and rules in such a manner that will leave citizens not wanting to go against him. And whats worse, the next could be even worse than Saddam.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
In my opinion, yes.

In your opinion, what (exactly) justifies the $719 Billion spent, the lives of close to 5,000 US soldiers, the maiming of another 30,000 US soldiers, and the deaths of something well over 100,000 Iraqi citizens?

COSTOFWAR.COM - The Cost of War

Was it our need to eliminate the WMD's that didn't exist?
Maybe it was our need to overthrow the government of a sovereign nation?
Or was it the need to secure our supply of oil?

Well, RomCat - what have you got?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your right, but it should be somebodies job. There should be a move toward some mechanism to providing rapid reaction to acts of genocide.

This is what the UN was supposed to be for.

Frankly I'd prefer the monies presently devoted to militarism and empire be redirected into programs actually benefiting the taxpayers who generated the funds.
America's militarism is transforming the US into a second world police state.

Wannabe Yogi

was? you think it is over?
i think not

I do believe that we (Americans) have a responsibility to rebuild their country because we not only Invaded it, but did it under false pretenses. We must get out of Iraq as soon as possible and let the Iraqi people run there own lives.

joea

Oshoyoi
I do believe that we (Americans) have a responsibility to rebuild their country because we not only Invaded it, but did it under false pretenses. We must get out of Iraq as soon as possible and let the Iraqi people run there own lives.
It's no wonder Wannabe Yogi, why US is refereed to by the Arabs as the evil-one. To me, iT all seems like this; Take away their freedom, then give them freedom; Bomb and destroy their country, then provide them first aid and hospital; Pretend to be a good doer, but the focus is really on the oil; etc etc..what a FAKE !!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In your opinion, what (exactly) justifies the $719 Billion spent, the lives of close to 5,000 US soldiers, the maiming of another 30,000 US soldiers, and the deaths of something well over 100,000 Iraqi citizens?

How about George Bush and Dick Cheney thought it would be a good idea to enrich their friends in the military industrial complex? Does that work as a legitimate reason to invade?

kai

ragamuffin

COSTOFWAR.COM - The Cost of War

Was it our need to eliminate the WMD's that didn't exist?
Maybe it was our need to overthrow the government of a sovereign nation?
Or was it the need to secure our supply of oil?

Well, RomCat - what have you got?

If i may?

most of those figures are post war, the lack of planning for the post war situation in Iraq, is responsible for the turmoil that followed a successful invasion, and routing of Saddam's forces with the toppling of his regime.

Its the post war planning or should i say almost total lack of it.That cost many many lives.

Asked whether the Pentagon took steps to involve Britain in the planning, Chaplin said: "They didn't take many steps to involve their own colleagues in the administration in planning."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/dec/01/british-post-war-planning-iraq-war-us

in its introduction, the memo "Iraq: Conditions for Military Action" notes that U.S. "military planning for action against Iraq is proceeding apace," but adds that "little thought" has been given to, among other things, "the aftermath and how to shape it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/11/AR2005061100723.html

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
If i may?

most of those figures are post war, the lack of planning for the post war situation in Iraq, is responsible for the turmoil that followed a successful invasion, and routing of Saddam's forces with the toppling of his regime.

Its the post war planning or should i say almost total lack of it.That cost many many lives.

Asked whether the Pentagon took steps to involve Britain in the planning, Chaplin said: "They didn't take many steps to involve their own colleagues in the administration in planning."

Iraq war inquiry: British attempts to improve postwar planning for Iraq 'ignored by US' | UK news | guardian.co.uk

in its introduction, the memo "Iraq: Conditions for Military Action" notes that U.S. "military planning for action against Iraq is proceeding apace," but adds that "little thought" has been given to, among other things, "the aftermath and how to shape it."

Memo: U.S. Lacked Full Postwar Iraq Plan - washingtonpost.com

To be honest, Kai, you and I are almost always on different sides of this issue, but I enjoy seeing your posts, and reading your take on it.

We are in agreement, in that the complete lack of planning and forethought about the aftermath of the invasion is compounding the problems in postwar Iraq. For my money, it is all one bundle. I guess I feel like, if you don't have a plan for the outcome, you shouldn't even consider going in. Call me "old school".

Wannabe Yogi

If i may?

Its called the fog of war. Once it starts you never know whats going to happen.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
How about George Bush and Dick Cheney thought it would be a good idea to enrich their friends in the military industrial complex? Does that work as a legitimate reason to invade?

If you're one of Bush or Cheney's rich, sociopathic friends, absolutely.

kai

ragamuffin
To be honest, Kai, you and I are almost always on different sides of this issue, but I enjoy seeing your posts, and reading your take on it.
Thank you! i always check to see what you have to say, some of my favourite posters are some of the people i dissagree with.:)
We are in agreement, in that the complete lack of planning and forethought about the aftermath of the invasion is compounding the problems in postwar Iraq. For my money, it is all one bundle. I guess I feel like, if you don't have a plan for the outcome, you shouldn't even consider going in. Call me "old school".

as you say we are in agreement.

i will point out that its not a soldiers job to plan what the heck your going to do with Iraq when the jackboot is lifted off the neck of seething mass of resentment. Politicians! what can you do with them?