• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the war in Iraq Justified?

Mr Cheese

I think it was inevitable and justification was the murder of the Kurds alone let alone all the other minorities.
I do agree though that the post war planning was useless and looked like it was done by a 4 year old,there are other things not to like aswell like Dick Cheney making money from it.

not to mention the descration and destruction by US troops of irreplacable relics and books
some stretching back 7000 years or so...:areyoucra

but we hear little of that

You could argue this a modern version of the destruction of the Alexandrian Library

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
not to mention the descration and destruction by US troops of irreplacable relics and books

You could argue this a modern version of the destruction of the Alexandrian Library

Of course there have been many blunders,even Sadaams trial and execution were farcical,as for the books it is of course something of a tragedy when such artifacts are lost and if we went to war for the reasons i posted then we could carry on to China but i think there is more at stake than meets the eye when it comes to Iraq.

kai

ragamuffin
Do the end results justify it though? Saddam being overthrown made Iraq more violent, the casualties suffered by American troops, with not only deaths but physical and physiological, the death toll suffered by the Iraqis, and the untold trillions of dollars spent, an invasion that was based on nothing more than pure speculation and was illegal at best, and all other things considered, was it worth it?

in hindsight? maybe, maybe not, its the blame game really ,Saddam kept a lid on unrest with a jackboot, when the boot was released so was hell, Do we blame the US for taking off the boot? or do we blame the murdering scum that perpetuate the hell instead of helping to create a free Iraq?

Once the forces that dont want to see a free Iraq set about their work we had no choice but to stick it out.

kai

ragamuffin
Sudan?
North Korea?
[SIZE=-1]Burma / Myanmar?
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Zimbabwe?
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Uzbekistan?
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Equitorial Guinea?
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Swaziland?
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Eritrea?

Who shall we invade next? Decisions, decisions....
[/SIZE]

none of them if you like, we can sit back and read all about the atrocities and wring our hands and whine or express outrage or ignore it.

Me i am an interventionist i believe free men should help others to attain the same freedoms.

kai

ragamuffin

most of the Iraqi antiquities are looted by Iraqis its a cottage industry over there and the insurgents realised early on that it was a good source of income.

This may be of interest:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_2_113/ai_113896683/?tag=content;col1

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does anyone seriously think the US invaded Iraq for humanitarian reasons? Would we be there if Iraq was located in a strategically insignificant region or if it had no oil?
9/11 was just a convenient trigger for an invasion already planned.

If the US wanted to liberate oppressed peoples it could have invaded Darfur or Myanmar/Burma.

Aquitaine

I think it's pretty obvious that the war in Iraq was unjustified. The invasion of Afghanistan is also like trying to shoot a fly with a bazooka.

But hey my Dad's recently returned from COB Basra with the Americans, and he tells me even the "reconstruction" efforts are totally bogus, with resources stretched too far and too much dependence on private companies with little oversight, the US Federal government simply doesn't know where a lot of the money is going to.

He told me that there were people working for DynCorp which was awarded a contract to help rebuild the Iraqi Police Force, he said all they did was sit around until an evaluation came up where they simply sat at the back of my Dad's classroom taking notes, just to say that they've been working with the British to help train Iraqi Police recruits.

kai

ragamuffin
There are many evil dictators in the world, and genocide occuring as people read this.

It has never been the United State's duty, nor mandate, to act as the big Brother of the world.

Your right, but it should be somebodies job. There should be a move toward some mechanism to providing rapid reaction to acts of genocide.

kai

ragamuffin
I think it's pretty obvious that the war in Iraq was unjustified. The invasion of Afghanistan is also like trying to shoot a fly with a bazooka.

But hey my Dad's recently returned from COB Basra with the Americans, and he tells me even the "reconstruction" efforts are totally bogus, with resources stretched too far and too much dependence on private companies with little oversight, the US Federal government simply doesn't know where a lot of the money is going to.

He told me that there were people working for DynCorp which was awarded a contract to help rebuild the Iraqi Police Force, he said all they did was sit around until an evaluation came up where they simply sat at the back of my Dad's classroom taking notes, just to say that they've been working with the British to help train Iraqi Police recruits.

all reconstructions is totally Bogus? how odd.

http://www.iraq-businessnews.com/?cat=1

I do agree however Dyncorp needed looking at:

http://www.sigir.mil/reports/pdf/audits/10-008.pdf

Satsangi

Only history will tell if President Bush's Afghanistan and Iraq war was in America's interest or not- probably 30-50 years from now. May be later, people will see things differently.

Only history will tell if President Obama is correct in his methods of ending these wars or not- again 50 years down the road.

Regards,

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Well I don't think either Iraq or Afghanistan was in our interest. Like I said, they really had no reason why we should go into Iraq, except they thought they had WMD's, then they changed their mind.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Only history will tell if President Bush's Afghanistan and Iraq war was in America's interest or not- probably 30-50 years from now. May be later, people will see things differently.

Only history will tell if President Obama is correct in his methods of ending these wars or not- again 50 years down the road.

Regards,

I disagree. History may not judge Bush, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and Obama differently than we do now (although I doubt it about Bush and the wars), but regardless of what history holds, these are all judged now - by the people that live through these times. And rightfully so.

Peacewise

How are korea and vietnam going round about now, may provide some insight as to if other usa wars of aggression may have long term benefit from the american wars in those countries.

Perhaps a look at how america is doing today and consider that in light of the korean and vietnam wars or others in the past.

not that I can say anything about something of that size, to much to chew for me.