• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Obama a Terrible President?

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Trump has said publicly that Obama will go down as one of the worst presidents is US history.

Is this statement at all far from the truth?

Perhaps in 50 years - when people finally get over how black he was - history books will be singing a very different tune about him.

Obama was lovely compared to that tosser trump

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is possible he wasn't the worst president the US ever head. But he was not a good president whose behavior increased a lot of polarizing in the society. In my view, the last good Democrat president was JFK.
On the whole, I'd rate him as poor, but not the worst (Johnson?).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What did Johnson do except the Vietnam war? End of segregation in the Southern states?
His waging the Vietnam War was indeed bad.
But he also created incentives for the poor to be dependent upon government.
Those are both terrible terrible things.

Alea iacta est

Pretend that I wrote something cool.
His waging the Vietnam War was indeed bad.
But he also created incentives for the poor to be dependent upon government.
Those are both terrible terrible things.
Yes, I can agree with that. It was him who said something about getting the votes from the black community to vote for the Democrats for the next 200 years? I won't quote it here but it was derogatory already then as far as I know.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, I can agree with that. It was him who said something about getting the votes from the black community to vote for the Democrats for the next 200 years? I won't quote it here but it was derogatory already then as far as I know.
I've long thought that no one sought to destroy black folk more than Johnson.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How obnoxious is it that someone who is 50% white got swept into office based on how black he was?

Obama won as a repudiation of George Bush. Republicans don't vote for blacks, and liberals don't care what color the president is.

But you have the comfort of knowing that every American president has been at least half white.

julianalexander745

Obama won as a repudiation of George Bush. Republicans don't vote for blacks, and liberals don't care what color the president is.

But you have the comfort of knowing that every American president has been at least half white.

I couldn't care less what a person's race/ethnicity is.

Have you forgotten how crazy the US went during the 2008 election about Obama's race? It was abominable.

You have a fair point about Obama being a repudiation of Bush 2. A similar argument could be made that Trump was a repudiation of the grand disappointment of the Obama years.

The were a few heavy swings of the cultural pendulum over the last 15-20 years.

epronovost

I've long thought that no one sought to destroy black folk more than Johnson.

How about Jim Crow or every single pro-slavery, pro-segregation and pro-racist POTUS and legislator in history? If we look down at the racial wage gap, it was reduced by Johnson by an interesting margin and has remained fairly stable since then. Where do you get your info? It seems you are falling *** backward into "opposites land".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How about Jim Crow or every single pro-slavery, pro-segregation and pro-racist POTUS and legislator in history? If we look down at the racial wage gap, it was reduced by Johnson by an interesting margin and has remained fairly stable since then. Where do you get your info? It seems you are falling *** backward into "opposites land".
There are many problems other than Johnson's
Great Society creating dependency.
I don't blame him for them.

epronovost

There are many problems other than Johnson's
Great Society creating dependency.
I don't blame him for them.

I find your definition of "dependency" to be restrictive. You seem to consider a person who receives services from her government via taxation to be dependent of the government while a person who receives the same services from a corporation or a private individual via purchase isn't dependent from that corporation or private individual. This to me is none sense. Both persons are dependent. The only thing that changes is to whome the dependency goes. Depending on the rules surrounding the relationship, both are just as likely to be liberticide and oppressive or on the opposite guaranty individual freedom and prosperity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I find your definition of "dependency" to be restrictive. You seem to consider a person who receives services from her government via taxation to be dependent of the government while a person who receives the same services from a corporation or a private individual via purchase isn't dependent from that corporation or private individual. This to me is none sense non-sense. Both persons are dependent. The only thing that changes is to whome whom the dependency goes. Depending on the rules surrounding the relationship, both are just as likely to be liberticide and oppressive or on the opposite guaranty individual freedom and prosperity.
You're attributing beliefs to me which I don't hold.
But I'll agree that creating dependency upon government is dysfunctional.
Btw, I fixed some things.

epronovost

You're attributing beliefs to me which I don't hold.
But I'll agree that creating dependency upon government is dysfunctional.
Btw, I fixed some things.

As long as it's a interdependency, I don't think it's dysfunctional, quite the opposite.

PS: thanks for the correction.