• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Obama a Terrible President?

PureX

Veteran Member
Trump has said publicly that Obama will go down as one of the worst presidents is US history.

Is this statement at all far from the truth?

Perhaps in 50 years - when people finally get over how black he was - history books will be singing a very different tune about him.
Or perhaps they will not.

Nice try, though.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Trump has said publicly that Obama will go down as one of the worst presidents is US history.

Perhaps in 50 years - when people finally get over how black he was - history books will be singing a very different tune about him.
Obama is the finest orator I've ever heard. That's a phenomenon in itself, though it doesn't address your question.

As a president he'll be remembered for a list of achievements headed perhaps by Obamacare, and for some flipflops counter to his image like keeping Guantanamo Bay, and some indecisiveness in parts of foreign policy and for his perseverance in the face of Republican opposition which even in Republican history is remarkable for its frothy-mouthed antagonism, not altogether free of racism, and such acts legal but in manifest bad faith of the US Constitution such as delaying the appointment of a Supreme Court judge.

I remain an admirer of Obama and what he stood for and stands for. He's a good guy.

No wonder Trump wants to defame, belittle, obliterate him.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Of course trump wouldn't bad-mouth bush who left many of the problems Obama had to deal with.

And bush was so relieved when trump took office because he no longer could be recorded as the worst president in history.

1e9b5y.jpg

On the international stage Obama was well respected and he served 2 terms as president so the majority of voting americans thought he did OK too.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Trump always lies and a lot of his lies Reflect what people say about him. Its Like I'm rubber and your glue whatever you say about me is true about you. So Trump is hearing people claim that he is the worst president in History and he is reflecting it on to Obama. Right now in my life time Donald Trump is my worst President. He has done the most to destroy our Democracy, Morality and Security than any President in my life time. I doubt we will ever elect a president as bad, but this is America you never Know.

Daemon Sophic

QUOTE="blü 2, post: 6409213, member: 62549"]Obama is the finest orator I've ever heard. That's a phenomenon in itself, though it doesn't address your question.

As a president he'll be remembered for a list of achievements headed perhaps by Obamacare, and for some flipflops counter to his image like keeping Guantanamo Bay, and for his perseverance in the face of Republican opposition which even in Republican history is remarkable for its frothy-mouthed antagonism, not altogether free of racism, and such acts legal but in manifest bad faith of the US Constitution such as delaying the appointment of a Supreme Court judge.

I remain an admirer of Obama and what he stood for and stands for. He's a good guy.

No wonder Trump wants to defame, belittle, obliterate him.
[/QUOTE

Hear! Hear!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
QUOTE="blü 2, post: 6409213, member: 62549"]Obama is the finest orator I've ever heard.
Nah....Reagan & Clinton were much better.
Obama's only skill was reading a teleprompter.
Without that, he was tongue tied.

But I think we could agree that Trump is the worst orator in
history....except perhaps for Jeff Boomhauer or Porky Pig.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Obama was a terrible president for having made false claims about how his Obamacare plan would allow people to keep their health plan if they liked, and Obama also broke his promise of how Obamacare would result in annual premium savings of $2,500.

obamacare-architect-if-you-like-your-doctor-y-L-FhnP4y.jpeg

Ten Broken Obamacare Promises

I believe that you exaggerating the problems with Obamacare based on your political agenda. Obamacare was not the best, and the PR was terrible, but nonetheless the Democrats admitted it needed revision, but the Republicans stonewalled at bypartison revision and failed to offer any reasonable alternative, except to propose further limits on the availability of healthcare to the public except the rich, and to boot voted to trash Social Security, and failed to propose to tax the wealthy on Social Security.

If Obamacare is so terrible, please describe what you propose to provide a uniform healthcare system for the poor and low income Americans?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I believe that you exaggerating the problems with Obamacare based on your political agenda. Obamacare was not the best, and the PR was terrible, but nonetheless the Democrats admitted it needed revision, but the Republicans stonewalled at bypartison revision and failed to offer any reasonable alternative, except to propose further limits on the availability of healthcare to the public except the rich, and to boot voted to trash Social Security, and failed to propose to tax the wealthy on Social Security.

If Obamacare is so terrible, please describe what you propose to provide a uniform healthcare system for the poor and low income Americans?

In the year 2026, universal basic income and universal health insurance ( U.B.I.U.H.I.) could be affordably done with federal spending of ca. $2.3 trillion towards Universal Basic Income, ( $800 monthly U.B.I for every individual adult American citizen ), many targeted social welfare programs would be eliminated and replaced with U.B.I. ) Universal Medicare with some insured cost sharing, ( Universal Medicare w/combined $5,000 Part A and B deductible and 20 percent Part B insured co-insurance ) would cost taxpayers ca. $2.3 trillion

The estimated costs of additional federal spending would be ca. $1.4 trillion for Social Security, ( no change from status-quo on S.S. retirement benefits ), $1.05 trillion towards the military and veteran services or veteran benefits, $550 billion on debt interest payments, an estimated $35 billion spending on the U.S. Department of Agriculture, ( ca. $14 billion ) for the Department of Commerce, ( ca. $14 billion ) for the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, ( ca. $32 billion) for the Department of Energy, ( ca. $15 billion) for the Department of Interior annual spending, ( ca. 58 billion) for the Department of Homeland Security, (ca. $32 billion) for the Department of Justice, ( ca. $10 billion ) for the Department of Labor, ( ca. $24 billion ) for the State Department, ( ca. $121 billion) for the Department of Transportation, ( ca. $23 billion ) for the Department of Treasury, ( ca. $7 billion ) for the Environmental Protection Agency, ( ca. $7 billion ) for the Food and Drug Administration, and ( ca. $28 billion) for N.A.S.A. In 2026, the above proposed federal spending would result in total federal annual spending to be ca. $8.05 trillion.

In terms of federal taxes, ( U.B.I.U.H.I.) could be mostly funded with a simplified income tax system, just a few income tax brackets beginning in year 2026, zero percent on initial $14k of personal individual annual income, 12 percent on $14,001 to $64k of personal individual annual income, 32 percent on individual personal annual earnings in excess of $64k. Capital gains taxed at same rate as ordinary income. No tax credits, save for refundable $2k child tax credit. In 2026, this would result in total personal federal income taxes amounting to an estimated $3.0 trillion.

U.B.I.U.H.I. could also be funded in part with an increase in the corporate income tax rate from 21 percent to 29 percent. In 2026, this would result in corporations paying U.S. corporate income taxes of ca. $550 billion

Social security could be fully funded by a doubling of the cap on social security taxes, so that all workers and employers would contribute 6.2 percent of social security taxes on every dollar of their earnings up to 350k of each individual wage earner's income . In 2026, this would mean Americans would pay ca. $1.85 trillion in payroll taxes.

Beginning in 2026, a 10 percent federal Value Added Tax could be used to fund U.S. military spending along with veteran services and benefits. A ten percent Value Added Tax would result in ca. $1.2 trillion of federal taxation on America's total annual personal consumption.

Excise taxes on fuel, tobacco, cannabis, alcohol, air travel, Amtrak, national park and museum admission fees would collectively add up to ca. $300 billion in 2026. Excise taxes could be used to fund spending on the U.S. Department of Agriculture ( ca. $35 billion ), Department of Commerce ( ca. $14 billion ) , Center for Disease Control and Prevention ( ca. $13 billion ), Department of Energy ( ca. $32 billion ), the Environmental Protection Agency ( ca. $7 billion ), Department of Interior annual spending ( ca. $15 billion), Department of Homeland Security ( ca. $58 billion), Department of Justice ( ca. $32 billion ), Department of Labor ( ca. $10 billion ), the State Department ( ca. $24 billion ), Department of Transportation ( ca. $121 billion ), and Department of Treasury ( ca. $23 billion ).

Other federal taxes, besides income taxes, V.A.T. and excise taxes, in 2026, like Medicare D premiums, estate taxes, financial transaction taxes ( remittance taxes and stock/bond trade taxes), and tariffs would generate ca. an additional $450 billion.

All the above proposed taxes for 2026, would add up to ca. $7.35 trillion.

The above proposed federal spending of $8.05 trillion and $7.35 trillion of federal taxes would result in an annual federal deficit of ca. $700 billion in 2026.

A universal $800 monthly universal basic income along with universal Medicare health insurance coverage could be funded with income taxes, medicare payroll taxes, and Medicare D premiums. financial transaction taxes ( remittance taxes and stock/bond trade taxes), and tariffs

Social security could be fully funded with social security payroll taxes.

National defense spending ( ca. $810 billion/year spending on U.S. Department of Defense , Veterans services and benefits ( ca. $250 billion/year ) , homeland security ( ca. $58 billion/year) , Department of Energy( ca $35 billion) and N.A.S.A. ( ca. $28 billion/year ) could be entirely funded with a 10 percent value added tax.

Annualized spending for the U.S. Department of Agriculture ( ca. $35 billion ) Department of Commerce ( ca. $14 billion ) , , Center for Disease Control and Prevention ( ca. $13 billion/ ), Environmental Protection Services ( ca. $7 billion ), Food and Drug administration ( ca. $7 billion), Department of Interior annual spending ( ca. $15 billion), Department of Justice ( ca. $32 billion ), Department of Labor ( ca. $10 billion ), Department of State ( ca. $24 billion ), Department of Transportation ( ca. $121 billion ), and Department of Treasury ( ca. $23 billion ) could then be funded with federal excise taxes and estate taxes.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
In the year 2026, universal basic income and universal health insurance ( U.B.I.U.H.I.) could be affordably done with federal spending of ca. $2.3 trillion towards Universal Basic Income, ( $800 monthly U.B.I for every individual adult American citizen ), many targeted social welfare programs would be eliminated and replaced with U.B.I. ) Universal Medicare with some insured cost sharing, ( Universal Medicare w/combined $5,000 Part A and B deductible and 20 percent Part B insured co-insurance ) would cost taxpayers ca. $2.3 trillion

The estimated costs of additional federal spending would be ca. $1.4 trillion for Social Security, ( no change from status-quo on S.S. retirement benefits ), $1.05 trillion towards the military and veteran services or veteran benefits, $550 billion on debt interest payments, an estimated $35 billion spending on the U.S. Department of Agriculture, ( ca. $14 billion ) for the Department of Commerce, ( ca. $14 billion ) for the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, ( ca. $32 billion) for the Department of Energy, ( ca. $15 billion) for the Department of Interior annual spending, ( ca. 58 billion) for the Department of Homeland Security, (ca. $32 billion) for the Department of Justice, ( ca. $10 billion ) for the Department of Labor, ( ca. $24 billion ) for the State Department, ( ca. $121 billion) for the Department of Transportation, ( ca. $23 billion ) for the Department of Treasury, ( ca. $7 billion ) for the Environmental Protection Agency, ( ca. $7 billion ) for the Food and Drug Administration, and ( ca. $28 billion) for N.A.S.A. In 2026, the above proposed federal spending would result in total federal annual spending to be ca. $8.05 trillion.

In terms of federal taxes, ( U.B.I.U.H.I.) could be mostly funded with a simplified income tax system, just a few income tax brackets beginning in year 2026, zero percent on initial $14k of personal individual annual income, 12 percent on $14,001 to $64k of personal individual annual income, 32 percent on individual personal annual earnings in excess of $64k. Capital gains taxed at same rate as ordinary income. No tax credits, save for refundable $2k child tax credit. In 2026, this would result in total personal federal income taxes amounting to an estimated $3.0 trillion.

U.B.I.U.H.I. could also be funded in part with an increase in the corporate income tax rate from 21 percent to 29 percent. In 2026, this would result in corporations paying U.S. corporate income taxes of ca. $550 billion

Social security could be fully funded by a doubling of the cap on social security taxes, so that all workers and employers would contribute 6.2 percent of social security taxes on every dollar of their earnings up to 350k of each individual wage earner's income . In 2026, this would mean Americans would pay ca. $1.85 trillion in payroll taxes.

Beginning in 2026, a 10 percent federal Value Added Tax could be used to fund U.S. military spending along with veteran services and benefits. A ten percent Value Added Tax would result in ca. $1.2 trillion of federal taxation on America's total annual personal consumption.

Excise taxes on fuel, tobacco, cannabis, alcohol, air travel, Amtrak, national park and museum admission fees would collectively add up to ca. $300 billion in 2026. Excise taxes could be used to fund spending on the U.S. Department of Agriculture ( ca. $35 billion ), Department of Commerce ( ca. $14 billion ) , Center for Disease Control and Prevention ( ca. $13 billion ), Department of Energy ( ca. $32 billion ), the Environmental Protection Agency ( ca. $7 billion ), Department of Interior annual spending ( ca. $15 billion), Department of Homeland Security ( ca. $58 billion), Department of Justice ( ca. $32 billion ), Department of Labor ( ca. $10 billion ), the State Department ( ca. $24 billion ), Department of Transportation ( ca. $121 billion ), and Department of Treasury ( ca. $23 billion ).

Other federal taxes, besides income taxes, V.A.T. and excise taxes, in 2026, like Medicare D premiums, estate taxes, financial transaction taxes ( remittance taxes and stock/bond trade taxes), and tariffs would generate ca. an additional $450 billion.

All the above proposed taxes for 2026, would add up to ca. $7.35 trillion.

The above proposed federal spending of $8.05 trillion and $7.35 trillion of federal taxes would result in an annual federal deficit of ca. $700 billion in 2026.

A universal $800 monthly universal basic income along with universal Medicare health insurance coverage could be funded with income taxes, medicare payroll taxes, and Medicare D premiums. financial transaction taxes ( remittance taxes and stock/bond trade taxes), and tariffs

Social security could be fully funded with social security payroll taxes.

National defense spending ( ca. $810 billion/year spending on U.S. Department of Defense , Veterans services and benefits ( ca. $250 billion/year ) , homeland security ( ca. $58 billion/year) , Department of Energy( ca $35 billion) and N.A.S.A. ( ca. $28 billion/year ) could be entirely funded with a 10 percent value added tax.

Annualized spending for the U.S. Department of Agriculture ( ca. $35 billion ) Department of Commerce ( ca. $14 billion ) , , Center for Disease Control and Prevention ( ca. $13 billion/ ), Environmental Protection Services ( ca. $7 billion ), Food and Drug administration ( ca. $7 billion), Department of Interior annual spending ( ca. $15 billion), Department of Justice ( ca. $32 billion ), Department of Labor ( ca. $10 billion ), Department of State ( ca. $24 billion ), Department of Transportation ( ca. $121 billion ), and Department of Treasury ( ca. $23 billion ) could then be funded with federal excise taxes and estate taxes.

Interesting, but a little idealistic without significant political support. The conservative Republican agenda would not support what you propose as a solution. Even some Democrats would be reluctant here.

Actually the healthcare system proposed by President Truman would have resolved many problems over the years, but of course it failed to pass.

Earthtank

Depends on the standard you compare him to. If you look at the wars during his time (yes, he inherited them from Bush) and how many innocent people died then he was TERRIBLE. If you look at DACA then he was GREAT. It all depends on what aspects you are looking it. Overall, i think he was a good not great president, unless you look at what he inherited vs what he accomplished, an argument can be made that he was great. I am not a democrat but, just looking at the facts

Shad

Veteran Member
Depends on the standard you compare him to. If you look at the wars during his time (yes, he inherited them from Bush) and how many innocent people died then he was TERRIBLE.

Libya and Syria ring a bell? Neither was started by Bush. Iraq is better of than Libya right now.

Overall, i think he was a good not great president, unless you look at what he inherited vs what he accomplished, an argument can be made that he was great. I am not a democrat but, just looking at the facts

Given US history there is a line such as the 64 Civil Rights Act which separates POTUS into a different group. Obama is going to be on one side as he is post-64. Every POTUS before that has a black mark due to not addressing racial and segregation issues to a conclusion regarding law.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Obama was just another establishment puppet who filled the heads of the public with false hope, while not changing anything substantial. He was good for LGBT people, I'll admit. Him and Michelle are very inspiring speakers (Michelle a bit more, I think - she's just very likeable) and good role models for young black people, too. So there's some positive and negative. Trump will easily go down as one of the worst presidents.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Unfortunately for him, he entered office after (a) 8 years of the Bush/Cheney-initiated War in Iraq and (b) just after the beginning of America's financial meltdown that called for financial institution bailouts. By my analogy, he became the driver of a bus careening down a hillside after it went off the road and over the roadside's edge. Obamacare got off to a rocky start, but lo and behold, during the two years when Trump was president AND Republicans controlled both the House and the Senate, Republicans never quite repealed the Act.

Add the fact that he was black, which annoyed a good number of Americans (including my redneck cousins) to no end, and the crock of malarkey Roger Stone-inspired allegation, picked up and never dropped that I know of, that he was born in Africa, and I say he was dealt a bad hand.
I think that it is incredibly important to recall the state of the economy at the beginning of his Presidency. That was a true meltdown -- even I, in Canada, lost my job as a result of it. Yet, Obama's actions helped the US (and therefore other nations) weather the storm. That was very, very tough. There are some who say that he should have just let financial institution after institution fail, and let the world rise again from the dust -- but that would have been descriptive of the Great Depression of 70 years earlier, and he didn't let it happen.

Add to that, in that very, very rough time, he actually DID GET SOMETHING HAPPENING on reforming healthcare. Okay, it wasn't perfect, but who does anyone imagine could have pulled anything perfect out of what existed, when millions of people had no healthcare at all?

The tragedy, for me, looking down from the north, is that a great many Americans would have preferred not to extend healthcare to millions of their countrymen, if it meant that they couldn't get their lacerated eyelash treated within minutes, rather than having to stand in a lineup with the plebs.