• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Earth Flat?

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes the bible is wrong and always was.
It's not "wrong". It's a collection of stories from a particular perspective. That perspective is not from a disteance in outer space. Nor is there any reason that it should be.

Builders build houses on a flat, level Earth. Because that's the perspective that matters when building houses. They aren't "wrong", or stupid, or dishonest. They are simply thinking and acting locally. As all humans once did.

questfortruth

Because stories are interpretive. Not factual.
Physics has a story how point of zero diameter became planet Earth and entire Universe.
We are living in a fairytale. Here electron is both wave and particle. Here is God, angels, unicorns of the Bible.

questfortruth

You have to be a troll. There's just no way.
Your opinion might get changed when I will get Nobel Prize for some of my papers, or Fields's Medal for proof of Riemann Hypothesis. Therefore, please, never report my ideas to authorities.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's not "wrong". It's a collection of stories from a particular perspective. That perspective is not from a disteance in outer space. Nor is there any reason that it should be.

Builders build houses on a flat, level Earth. Because that's the perspective that matters when building houses. They aren't "wrong", or stupid, or dishonest. They are simply thinking and acting locally. As all humans once did.

It is factually incorrect.. I.e. wrong. A fictional set of stories that represented the knowledge of the period. That knowledge was inaccurate. Some people are happy to accept thst fact some aren't because the fictional stories are what counts to them.

Builders built houses on "apparently" level earth. It's just a matter of scale even on the scale of a house there is a curvature

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Your opinion might get changed when I will get Nobel Prize for some of my papers, or Fields's Medal for proof of Riemann Hypothesis. Therefore, please, never report my ideas to authorities.

You're a riot. I know you're sitting behind the screen right now havin' a laugh.

questfortruth

because the fictional stories are what counts to them.
I am not in illusions, my faith is true one.

But why are some people creating illusions? For example, Bob believed that Bob would not die. Bob will grow old, get constantly sick, but Bob will not die. It's more fun to live that way. And Bob could be upset only at the last hour of his happy life.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am not in illusions, my faith is true one.

But why are some people creating illusions? For example, Bob believed that Bob would not die. Bob will grow old, get constantly sick, but Bob will not die. It's more fun to live that way. And Bob could be upset only at the last hour of his happy life.

Faith is not reality.

Who is bob?, More faith?

Colt

Any brain is more complex than the Universe. Hence, if Bob feels or thinks something, it surely can be a real thing because his brain is more important than the entire Universe.
For example, many say that Earth is not a globe but a flat disk. Why? People are not crazy.
The planet was a flat disk in the past, and people feel it through the "genetic memory" or "ancestorial memory."
More in:
Was Earth Flat?

God is Omnipotent. He changed flat disk into globe while Great Flood. OK?
If flat earth or the Israelites vastly exaggerated flood story wasn't in the Bible, then people would dismiss the stories as silly myths.

It's not genetic memory it's that we are designed to trust God. But we were born into a fallen, confused, broken world. We want to trust the scripture for various reasons.

history.jpg

Last edited:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
It still is flat from a local perspective, if we discount it's topography. Point being, it's a matter of perspective, not an issue of "truthfulness".
No. The shape of the Earth is a question of objective fact. We know and have known for thousands of years that the Earth is spherical. The ancient Near East cosmology (shared by the Hebrew Bible) of a flat Earth encompassed by a solid dome firmament is simply wrong. To claim that the shape of the planet is a matter of perspective is nothing less than a full throttled rejection of reason.

I agree that there's no reason to expect an iron age tome to be aligned with modern science in all its claims. If you were to take the Bible at complete face value you would be forced to accept a myriad of ideas which we now know are not true. No, it's not a matter of perspective; the Bible's assumptions of a flat, six thousand year old Earth are wrong.

The OP is claiming that the Earth used to be flat as a matter of fact. Such claims are wrong and stupid.

Last edited:

questfortruth

If flat earth or the Israelites vastly exaggerated flood story wasn't in the Bible, then people would dismiss the stories as silly myths.
Now in 2022AD it is better? Book told people of BC era that Earth is Flat to be taken seriously. But does God considered that the Book will be read in AD era, on 2022 AD? What about us? Paradox. The solution: Earth was flat. Now it is not flat. Miracle.