• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walking Meditations?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it possible to meditate while walking? Is meditation only possible while sitting quietly? Can one meditate while working?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Walking meditation is something that can be practiced formally or informally. It can be done out in nature, or in a set space and pattern (walking a labyrinth).

I believe it is possible to somewhat meditate while working, especially at repetitive tasks which do not require active concentration to accomplish. This is different, though, than specific meditation entered into with no other foci; and as such, the results will differ as well.

Pah

Uber all member
Sunstone said:
Is it possible to meditate while walking? Is meditation only possible while sitting quietly? Can one meditate while working?
I remeber from one of those self-help tapes, that walking was one path to putting the mind at ease to begin mediatations

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Well, you would have to not think about walking, and that might be dangerous if you don't have enough room. :areyoucra

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I can meditate more effectively if I am walking, at least initially. The walking movement and peace and quiet of an outdoor scene is sort of like a prelude or entrance way to relaxation and the shutting down of mental processess. For me it's easier than simply sitting and trying to calm down. :shrug:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Sunstone said:

i'm not sure if you would concider visualizations as meditative techinques, but i would, and sometimes if i'm walking a familiar route find my self visualizing *stuff*, though the visualization is often connected with either where i have just been, or where i am going.

AllMantra

I suppose it all depends on the definition you prefer. I would say that meditation in regards to concentration on an object of devotion (Such as Jesus, Peace, Buddha, Forgiveness, Love, etc.), could be done during any mechanical activity. When your doing something that doesn't require much concentration (Such as walking a familiar path, mowing the lawn or washing dishes) your mind could use something positive to focus on, like one of the "objects of devotion" listed above. There are of course more formal types of meditation that require more complete attention, which would translate to the absence of such activity.

Random

Engyo said:
Walking meditation is something that can be practiced formally or informally. It can be done out in nature, or in a set space and pattern (walking a labyrinth).

That's correct. I practiced it for years in my room. It helps if you exercise somewhat to loosen up the body. There are lots of different fun versions, like the "Ape hunch" and the "Zombie": all the while moving as though on "auto", allowing maximum relaxation and uncluttering the mind. Correct breathing is very important too, of course.

Kay

Towards the Sun
In walking meditation, it's the walking itself that is the focus. It's about being fully in the moment and not letting the mind race or chatter on about other things (while walking on autopilot). It's about being mindful and keeping the awareness on the experience of walking. It's not about withdrawing attention from the outside world, but about fully experiencing the the body and the motion of the walk.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Walking is the easiest way to meditate for me, especially in a place with plenty of trees and running water. I have tried on numerous occasions to meditate while sitting in a queit room, but it just doesn't have the same effect. I like being out in nature.

Ozzie

Sunstone said:

I've seen Cambodian monks doing this in breaks from sitting meditation during retreats. I wasn't sure whether the object was to foster continuous awareness if possible, or to cultivate awareness of sensation during physical activity as a goal in its own right.

From my own experience, it is certainly possible to observe an object of awareness such as sensation whilst moving around.

Oz

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:

To the first question, Yes; to the second, it depends - I could hardly be concentrating on this post as the same time as meditating.

It depends on just how 'mechanical' the works is (I think another member made that point).

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
I can meditate whenever I want, but actually, not all the outcomes would be good!!

Once, I meditated in the middle of an exam, it got me bad marks afterthen! :(
But the concept can apply....you can meditate any time, while doing anything...

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
A walking meditation I like is to be mindful of the depth of the ground below and the expanse of the sky above when out strolling. I've been told this encourages the flow of Chi through the macrocosmic orbit, or the Heaven and Earth circulation as its sometimes called. Make of that what you will. Its a good thing to do regardless.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Sunstone said:
Is it possible to meditate while walking?

Yes I belive long walks help a lot in meditating.

Sunstone said:
Is meditation only possible while sitting quietly?

No, I don't believe that meditating is possible only while sitting quietly.
Peace