• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walking in the Cold

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
About 15 years ago, I listened to an Icelander talk about how walking outside no matter what the temperature is part of Icelandic tradition, and she says the many that follow that practice typically spend about an hour outside that includes the walk/jog plus just relaxing afterward.

That sort of rang a bell in my head (I hear lots of other sounds there as well :( ), largely because the Swedish side of my family is what I have always been the closest to, and that is a common practice there as well. Even though I walked at least three days per week, in bad weather it was in-doors on my treadmill, so I changed that to do it the Icelandic way.

After roughly 15 years, the results I couldn't have been more pleased with. First of all, I hate not walking outside if I'm ill or too busy, because not only has it had quite an effect on my body, it really has very much helped my mind.

For example, this morning I did my 2+ mile walk when it was -4 degrees F., and then sat on chair on my patio and watched the birds for about 15 or so minutes. What makes it so remarkable is that my body really doesn't feel the cold much since I do it every day and the body just adjusts, and I don't have to worry about cold extremities but I do check on windy cold days to make sure I don't get frostbite.

To me, it's just absolutely amazing on how the body adjusts, because I'll tell ya that 15 years ago, I couldn't have done this with anywhere near close to the same effect. BTW, I'm 68.

I write this as a recommendation as it's just amazing the positive physical and psychological effects this approach has.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I wish I could do that. I live in a horrible area and there's really no place to walk. :(

I had no idea that you were anywhere near 68. I always pictured you as a young man.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It works for bicycling too. I've done that in -5F weather.

Prepare.
Do.
Enjoy.

I wish I could do that. I live in a horrible area and there's really no place to walk. :(
I know.
Where you live, no matter where you walk, you're still in Ohio.

Btw, nyuk nyuk.

Last edited:

Parsimony

Awesome. I've found that building up internal heat while working can make me feel hot enough to have to take my jacket off even if it is quite cold. Afterwards, the cold breeze actually feels rather nice.

Sees

Dragonslayer
About 15 years ago, I listened to an Icelander talk about how walking outside no matter what the temperature is part of Icelandic tradition, and she says the many that follow that practice typically spend about an hour outside that includes the walk/jog plus just relaxing afterward.

That sort of rang a bell in my head (I hear lots of other sounds there as well :( ), largely because the Swedish side of my family is what I have always been the closest to, and that is a common practice there as well. Even though I walked at least three days per week, in bad weather it was in-doors on my treadmill, so I changed that to do it the Icelandic way.

After roughly 15 years, the results I couldn't have been more pleased with. First of all, I hate not walking outside if I'm ill or too busy, because not only has it had quite an effect on my body, it really has very much helped my mind.

For example, this morning I did my 2+ mile walk when it was -4 degrees F., and then sat on chair on my patio and watched the birds for about 15 or so minutes. What makes it so remarkable is that my body really doesn't feel the cold much since I do it every day and the body just adjusts, and I don't have to worry about cold extremities but I do check on windy cold days to make sure I don't get frostbite.

To me, it's just absolutely amazing on how the body adjusts, because I'll tell ya that 15 years ago, I couldn't have done this with anywhere near close to the same effect. BTW, I'm 68.

I write this as a recommendation as it's just amazing the positive physical and psychological effects this approach has.

Adaptation and evolution are beautiful :D

Michigan sucks by the way...

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Here in Michigan, we regard "Ohio" as just another four-letter word.

I saw this on the side of a building:

FF0000-thumb-275x274-design-515.png

:rolleyes:

I don't care about the Buckeyes and am not originally from Ohio so I have no part in the petty rivalries of the local yokels.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
"theres nothing wrong with Ohio. Except the snow and the rain..."

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Good advice. Thanks for the post, its been to long since I took a snow hike.

niceguy

I do not have a car so I walk a lot, or wait for buses. You just need to dress up for the cold but when it is just as few degrees over the freezing point, I hate it outside since I freeze so much. When below freezing thou, I am comfortable again thou since the could have dried out the chilling moist from the air. I hate to much heat as well, we had a strong long running heatwave this year and it was just to much. Why are people traveling abroad to warmer countries when you can have a heatstroke at home for free?

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond

This sounds like an excellent tradition. In my attempt to begin running as well, I think I will be taking this up too; especially since it's going to get cool outside soon. Im not exactly a do things kind of person when it's really hot outside, and i've been in a tropical climate for the past seven months :eek:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Boy, I sure wish I could walk in sub-zero weather--NOT. I did some growing up nine blocks from Lake Erie so I can make this judgement call.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This sounds like an excellent tradition. In my attempt to begin running as well, I think I will be taking this up too; especially since it's going to get cool outside soon. Im not exactly a do things kind of person when it's really hot outside, and i've been in a tropical climate for the past seven months :eek:

To me, getting outside daily for at least an hour or so is not only good for the body, it's good for the mind as well. Good luck with your new phase.