• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walking in the Cold

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Boy, I sure wish I could walk in sub-zero weather--NOT. I did some growing up nine blocks from Lake Erie so I can make this judgement call.

Why does the word "wimp" come to mind? :p

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Boy, I sure wish I could walk in sub-zero weather--NOT. I did some growing up nine blocks from Lake Erie so I can make this judgement call.

Why does the word "wimp" come to mind? :p

Since metis mentioned Swedes, im obligated to mention: Swedish babies lay outside in their carriages in bitter cold temperatures and they like it :cool:

Babies, BSM.

Also, thanks metis, I hope to get in good athletic cardio shape soon :D

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I am hitting 59, I am finding cold winters more damaging to me now than beneficial, maybe it is my genes I don't know. What happens is the tips of my fingers literally start to freeze over and hurt, just the tips but bad enough that when I first go out when it is very cold and until I get the car heater stoked up, or on hikes outdoors, I now use one of those Zippo Hand Warmers (they are great).

This wasn't a problem when I was younger.

I know some are saying there are health benefits to being active in the cold cold cold, but ... I don't know if that is true for all. Some of this might be overhyping the macho side of "shoveling snow" if you will, claiming you chopped a bunch of wood in the snow when you only twiddled some sticks with a pocket knife.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I am hitting 59, I am finding cold winters more damaging to me now than beneficial, maybe it is my genes I don't know. What happens is the tips of my fingers literally start to freeze over and hurt, just the tips but bad enough that when I first go out when it is very cold and until I get the car heater stoked up, or on hikes outdoors, I now use one of those Zippo Hand Warmers (they are great).

This wasn't a problem when I was younger.

I know some are saying there are health benefits to being active in the cold cold cold, but ... I don't know if that is true for all. Some of this might be overhyping the macho side of "shoveling snow" if you will, claiming you chopped a bunch of wood in the snow when you only twiddled some sticks with a pocket knife.

Your body has a remarkable ability to adjust to many different conditions, and cold is just one of them. When I come back from a walk when it's freezing out, I have to sit down outside for at least about 15 minutes in order to cool off. If I go in the house right away, I'll sweat like crazy even though we keep our house temperature during the winter between 60-65.

If you walk outside every day, your body just adjusts.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
-4?
-5?

Try -30 and below and now we're talking. As a kid on a farm in western Canada in January doing chores, I learned to work fast. Exhilarating ... yes! I still go for the morning walk now. What will stop me is ice, but not temperature.