• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vitamins

Thief

Rogue Theologian
tripped over a comment and thought to launch a thread

are Vitamins a commercial sham?

I for one take old man vitamins
when I do....there's no hair on the shower drain

when I don't my hair continues to thin

something must be working.....????

MNoBody

well, yes and no
since we are matter and matter is shed over time it must be replaced.....so if you have trace elements that were burned up during your mitochondrial activity, those specific fuels would need to be replaced or the process would continue in a lesser format
like eye tissue.... it oxidizes rapidly, and the body is constantly rebuilding it so we can continue to see
ideally omega 3 fatty acids are the desired material, but if these are in short supply the body uses the next on the list omega-6 which also works
however the tissue made from omega 6 is fragile, prone to damage, and inflammation, so it is not desired, but the body does not differentiate, if you don't have material #1
it goes down the list to the next best and so on.
unless this is a holo-deck and that isn't air we are breathing either.....hmmm
damnesia sucks

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
If you believe you are getting sufficient micro nutrients (vitamins and minerals) then you don't need to take them as supplements. The trick is deciding on whether you are deficient. For example, people who live in countries with low annual sunshine hours are at higher risk of vitamin D deficiency.

MNoBody

since people do not have a readily available diagnostic or dashboard display to show what specific trace elements they are low or deficient in this does pose a great deal of challenge to the process
plus, all people are not biologically equal so what is necessary for one may not be for another

MNoBody

Quotation-Hippocrates-If-someone-wishes-for-good-health-one-must-first-ask-81-17-70.jpg
Quotefancy-4730084-3840x2160.jpg

74x12

Vitamins help. I do supplement. Few people can say our diet is perfect and we always eat the right things to be healthy.

if vitamins are worthless then it's a joke that they add so many to pet food. Always look at what they give to pets and livestock because they aren't likely to give them unnecessary things.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I t reminds me of Wonder bread. The strip out everything edible, and then put back artificial vitamins.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Vitamins help. I do supplement. Few people can say our diet is perfect and we always eat the right things to be healthy.

if vitamins are worthless then it's a joke that they add so many to pet food. Always look at what they give to pets and livestock because they aren't likely to give them unnecessary things.

Livestock are routinely given "unnecessary" things - antibiotics and hormones for example so I wouldn't take a lead from that in determining what is a good diet to follow.

Why Are Factory Farmed Animals Given Antibiotics and Hormones?

74x12

Livestock are routinely given "unnecessary" things - antibiotics and hormones for example so I wouldn't take a lead from that in determining what is a good diet to follow.

Why Are Factory Farmed Animals Given Antibiotics and Hormones?
Unnecessary yes from health perspective but helpful from money making perspective. It's for easier cash. Unethical, unhelpful for consumers and for the spread of antibiotic resistant bacteria but the fact they don't only rely on antibiotics and hormones but also use vitamins means it's because they've figured out that vitamins work.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I had stopped taking vitamins a while ago. But when the pandemic struck, a couple of doctor friends recommended supplementing what I'm eating with D, C and zinc. They are not claiming it will prevent getting the bug but that there's at least a wee bit of evidence it will help either lowering the odds of getting sick or getting over it faster.

I'll also especially echo the comment about Vitamin D. Unless you get sufficient sunlight in the winter, most need to supplement to avoid at least a mild deficiency.

Vee

Premium Member

I take vitamin D because I never get enough sun, especially during the winter.
Hair loss is probably something you should speak to a doctor about. It might be caused by a lack of vitamins, but it could also be for other reasons. It's probably better to ask an expert in that field.

MNoBody

weston price and bernard jensen are useful resources , they studied the effects of processed food comparative to cultures who did not use modern processing for food....quite shocking the dichotomy they found....processing of foods apparently is at the root of our industrial disease condition.....but tally ho, profits to be made, shareholders to make rich and all that....o_O
not to mention the fact [see USDA ag report findings of soil analysis -1931] that continental north america was in 1931 considered already stripped mined of most trace elements in the soil..... hmmmm...bring our biocide inc we will make it grow, super fertilizers etc....what sorcery
get rich and gain social control through the management of preventable disease conditions
how benevolent of our fearless and loving 'leaders'

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I work nights, so I take vitamin D. I should probably also get some zinc, as I don't eat shellfish much anymore, nor do I ever eat fortified cereals, nor do I drink milk.

Daemon Sophic

View attachment 38850
one more quote from hippocrates
Actually another is apropos to the OP.....
D-jSOBsUYAAxkBS.jpg

Most of the pill vitamins are a waste and unnecessary, with the exceptions of Vit B12 (unless you get enough dirt and animal feces in your food by eating meat, and Vit D unless you get regular exposure to sunshine.:blacksunrays:
This of course assume that you are eating a variety of fruits and vegetables, which will supply you with all of the vitamins that you could ever need.
Yo go Hippocrates!!:)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We eat well, mostly fresh veg etc and plenty of fruit. Even so I have been taking a daily multivitamin and mineral tablet for years because i was advised to after feeling run down and i had a series of colds. Sincere then i have rarely been ill apart from a gallstone op last year that went wrong. Not much the vitamins could do prevents that but i i am convinced that without the vitamins and minerals it have been much worse.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If people ate right they wouldn't need vitamin supplements. But people don't eat right, so ...

^^ THIS ^^

I take a food-based multi because I don't eat right. It helps with energy levels and helps keep my immune system viable.