• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very Confused Person Here

EmperorSwordMan

A Fantasy turned Real
So I've been a full Atheist since last November, which is almost a year ago. But now I've given this sort of thing a chance again, but which one to choose? I use to be Christian but don't think the Abrahamic religions((Like Christianity and Islam)) because for one I don't to edit my diet choices((Born and raised in North Carolina, gotta have my pork)) and two, well, I'm Bi, so again not the best option. Use to be Norse Pagan, but don't feel like trying to do it again either((They make some pretty damn good music though)), and also tried the other pagan branches but those never lasted long. Also tried making my own up, also didn't last long. So, anything out there you can throw at me?

buddhist

You might be interested in early Buddhism. IMO it has no problems with what you listed, and addresses the heart of mankind's problem - dukkha/suffering - instead of skirting that issue like most other religions. It values personal knowledge, not blind faith.

No "God's laws" to follow blindly in early Buddhism, but we do have precepts we voluntarily and willingly undertake, when we personally understand their value for self-transformation.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Greetings EmperorSwordMan.
Welcome to RF. Glad you joined us.

I wouldn't worry about finding a religious label. Either it happens or it doesn't. There's lots of stuff to explore here on RF though.
Tom

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would say return back to your atheism and be happy. You will be lost in a religion jungle. However, I may suggest Hare-Krishna. They can shoot down all kinds of confusions. They will have no problem with your orientation also.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
So I've been a full Atheist since last November, which is almost a year ago. But now I've given this sort of thing a chance again, but which one to choose? I use to be Christian but don't think the Abrahamic religions((Like Christianity and Islam)) because for one I don't to edit my diet choices((Born and raised in North Carolina, gotta have my pork)) and two, well, I'm Bi, so again not the best option. Use to be Norse Pagan, but don't feel like trying to do it again either((They make some pretty damn good music though)), and also tried the other pagan branches but those never lasted long. Also tried making my own up, also didn't last long. So, anything out there you can throw at me?

No! to find the truth, all you need is your own personal faith for starters

Start from the beginning, the basics-where all faiths started; with your own skepticism of atheism, naturalism, materialism, and hence your own personal faith that there is probably a little more to life than meets the eye superficially. We are born into a word where this healthy skepticism has long permeated society, politics, culture over thousands of years- and hence morphed into various societal, political, cultural movements to various degrees... hard to see the forest for the trees!

But it all started with what you are feeling now, curiosity, opening your own heart and mind, and I believe God will answer anyone who does so directly, so you won't need our dumb opinions!

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
So, anything out there you can throw at me?
Yep, eastern religions Buddhism and Hinduism. Look into them at least. I'm into non-dual (God and creation are not-two) Hinduism and couldn't be more satisfied. But it takes some time to really grasp what they are saying.

Treks

I think if you can answer @LuisDantas question, some of us might be able to give you more guidance.

Also, *fistbump*, welcome to Unwilling Atheism. Where we don'tt believe in God, but really wish there was one, because wouldn't that be nice? :D

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Seems to me the very first thing you should do is figure out what it is exactly you believe.

I.E. do you believe that there is a higher power?
If so, describe it.
Not necessarily to the forum, but at least to yourself.
It may even help to write it down, put it up for a few days and then take another look at it.

arthra

Baha'i

Welcome oh emperor swordman to the Forum!

I went through a stage in my life as you have written above, where I was seeking and deciding what to do... I think in my early twenties and late teens I was exploring various religions.. The problem in my view with starting your own religion is that it's very easy to simply move your goal posts around and then you're not making much progress....

When I reviewed the religions I made a personal discovery... I also was involved in inter-faith activities that helped! But what I found was that there was a "silver thread" through the various religions and that the deeper spiritual teachings tended support one another. I intensely disliked having to look down on the Founders of the great religions... in other words believing that one was superior to the other and so I became a Baha'i and in doing so recognized Them all.. as various stages in the progressive revelation to humanity.

But the most important thing I would suggest you to do is to earnestly pray for guidance at this stage in your life and meditate profoundly on the truths of the great revelations.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Well, start out by trying to work out your most basic beliefs. Are there gods? How many? Is there an afterlife? What kind? Things like that. Then just keep trying things until something sticks. :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Just relax and let your nature let it take you where it wants to go. My advice is to stay away from the "off the shelf" religions. They're so passe.

Animore

Why don'tcha try liberal Protestantism?
cancer.png

No, but in all seriousness, follow your heart. We all ave our own truth. Try to assess what you believe and do not believe. Write it down a piece of paper. Though, I would like to make a point, that even though the first sentence was just a joke, many churches of liberal Protestantism are very accepting towards people of same-sex attraction. Some of them believe it is entirely not a sin. But that's just my two cents. Good luck on your spiritual journey! :)

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
I suggest making peace and accepting Jesus, but reverence of other deities is a given, no subjugation of cruelty.

What you may have to come to terms with is a sickening abuse of power and and awfully brutal leadership.

Nothing had to be so merciless, at least in the last century, and it's just something you will have to come to terms with.

People resort to dogmas and scripture as a coping device, the planar beings are as merciful as they can be after eons of brutality and suffering, but cowardice is hardly sympathized with.

Fear is a bs emotion, like jealousy and most of the others, people get mad at you if you're happy. I'm deeply concerned with taking up Nihilism and just going away from reality all together.

Perhaps I can tell you a story about God that starts with a hyperdermic needle and a journey through black tar heroin.

Be Brave noble Youths. (God's) ruthlessness is unquestionable.

D.A.R.E

It is accomplished.

In addition, things take time... Rome wasn't built over night, namean.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
Religious identities can be nice, and certainly have their use for parts of the journey but aren't something to get totally into IMO. General traditions you might wanna check out would be Daoism, Buddhism, perhaps Universal Sufism and some of the Indian traditions - Ramana Maharshi, Ramakrishna, these sorts of people.

Have a great journey! It's really a beautiful one.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Also, *fistbump*, welcome to Unwilling Atheism. Where we don't believe in God, but really wish there was one, because wouldn't that be nice? :D
Do you think you could point me somehow towards a better understanding of what that is like, Treks?

Kirran

Premium Member
If you're stuck on materialist-atheism, you may as well go for materialist-pantheism, that worked for me for a little while!

Jumi

For some reason your chosen nickname reminds me of Chinese religions. Anyways, welcome to the forums!