• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utterly Lost

peter22

I'm nominally a Roman Catholic but I'm just increasingly don't believe in many of the fundamentals of my faith. This started really with all the controversy over Amoris Laetitia. I don't want to go into that in detail because its a whole complex can of worms in itself, but the short version is I just can not believe that it is possible for the Pope or any man to be in any sense infallible or inerrant. I do not believe the office of the Papacy has any real significance and I do not believe in any sense that bishops or other church leaders benefit from some sort of apostolic succession.

But this goes a lot further. I've entered into a sort of spiral of doubt where I really do not know what I do believe. I don't know what is true any more.

I can say that I truly believe that there is a God who is one. And beyond that, I am just so uncertain on everything. Anyone else been here? Any direction or advice would be greatly appreciate.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't mean to preach, but have you heard of Noahidism? If you're looking for something super simple with one God, it could be for you. It worked for me after I left Christianity.

Perhaps you could embrace Agnosticism and just think for a while.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings Peter!

I am not sure how old you are but I can sure relate to your experience.

I was raised Catholic but never REALLY believed in it.

I was an angry cynical atheist for many years.

I now try to take the best from all religions esp Buddhism and its emphasis on cultivating unconditional compassion in order to enjoy peace of mind.

But it has been a long hard road to achieve some peace of mind I can tell you!

If you were interested in a book, I might suggest "Happiness" by Matthieu Ricard.

You can find him on YouTube -

ricard happiness - YouTube

Hope you get some answers!

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Me again

Just thought of another book - "Conversations with God" - it discusses life & death, Heaven & Hell, love and fear.

It is a very different God than the angry judgemental God most religions portray.

Here's a sample -

Neale Donald Walsch Quotes

But I recommend the actual book to get the full impact!

Cheers!

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'm nominally a Roman Catholic but I'm just increasingly don't believe in many of the fundamentals of my faith. This started really with all the controversy over Amoris Laetitia. I don't want to go into that in detail because its a whole complex can of worms in itself, but the short version is I just can not believe that it is possible for the Pope or any man to be in any sense infallible or inerrant. I do not believe the office of the Papacy has any real significance and I do not believe in any sense that bishops or other church leaders benefit from some sort of apostolic succession.

But this goes a lot further. I've entered into a sort of spiral of doubt where I really do not know what I do believe. I don't know what is true any more.

I can say that I truly believe that there is a God who is one. And beyond that, I am just so uncertain on everything. Anyone else been here? Any direction or advice would be greatly appreciate.
I have been hearing a lot of people similar to you. Maybe a good transitioning point for you might be the Universalist Church with its many resources. I for one was raised Catholic but now follow Hindu (Advaita) beliefs and am very contented with my spirituality. Best Wishes.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Feasts of the bible provide some pretty solid meat for the basis of beliefs. For instance, God laid out his plan for redemption in the Jewish feasts. I believe the separation of Christianity from it's Jewish roots in the Old testament is a reason people lose faith. But It's sort of complicated to explain and I myself forget almost as fast as I learn about it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't have any specific suggestions but I'll note that you are not alone. Many have gone through periods of intense questioning about what they do and do not believe and what is the best path to walk.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Hi Peter,
Baha'is believe in one God and the one-ness of humanity.
Good luck with your search

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Welcome to RF:)

I have had a similar experience when I was a Christian though not Catholic. As hard as it was at the time it was what I needed to go through. In my time through the spiritual wilderness I recalled the words of Jesus "The truth shall set you free" and "Seek and ye shall find". Five years later I became a Baha'i and that has worked for me. We all need to read the reality of our own lives and find the spiritual path God wants for us.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Best wishes on finding something that eliminates most of the doubt. Too much doubt can be unhealthy.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
IAnyone else been here? Any direction or advice would be greatly appreciate.
Been there, almost exactly. I was raised Roman Catholic as well, and begin to question many things about the church. I was told I could not question those things, and must accept them as truth. As I'm sure you can understand, I was not satisfied with that answer. So I left, went out, and sought my own answers.

My advice? Listen to your soul; it knows where you need to be. Seek information, and learn from others, but don't take their words as truth unless it rings true to you - your faith is something that you live, not other people. And even then, when you find what makes you complete, never stop learning.

Tabu

(I just posted this message in an another thread , and reposting it here again for its relevance and significance here)
BrahmaKumaris believe that the First truth and the Foremost knowledge , which sets one free is the Knowledge of the Self i.e to know the form of oneself . That
" I am a Soul ,intrinsically good and an embodiment of Peace , Power , Love , Knowledge, Happiness and Bliss "
The clarity and conviction with which this truth is accepted , releases oneself from the clutches of all material attachments and bondages and all associated sorrows.
When one believes he/she is a body , he/she would keep himself busy in accumulating material possessions all of which are transitory and cause sorrow .
Whereas if one believes his self to be a soul , and intrinsically good , the focus would shift to rectify,beautify and return back the soul to its original nature of happiness and peace .

"I am a soul , child of The Supreme Soul and thus have a right to the inheritance of Heaven , happiness and peace"
And With this clarity one receives the key to all happiness.

Jedster

@peter22
If that is your true belief then go with that.
Regard each day as new and see what you can learn without any religious organisation or given belief system.
Listen to others' wisdom, but follow your own(which may or may not coincide).

So-called scriptures are based on the writers' experiences/beliefs(at best). The claim of divinity puts fear into many, so they submit to prescribed beliefs which are then taught to the next generation. It stops natural self-discovery. It is perniceous
Find your own experience.
You may amaze yourself, :)

Welcome to RF

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You have started with a premise that is why you are lost. Whether there is a God/many Gods/Goddesses or none should have come after consideration of what you find in life. I have no problem with any of these beliefs, your beliefs are your beliefs, but I think you should begin the other way around.

peter22

I don't mean to preach, but have you heard of Noahidism? If you're looking for something super simple with one God, it could be for you. It worked for me after I left Christianity.

Perhaps you could embrace Agnosticism and just think for a while.

I have heard of Noahidism actually, I believe you see God's covenant with Noah after the Flood as the basis of morality. Simple to be sure. Personally, I think it would be good to have some form of service to attend. Some people may not need that, but I think I probably do.

If you were interested in a book, I might suggest "Happiness" by Matthieu Ricard.

Just thought of another book - "Conversations with God" - it discusses life & death, Heaven & Hell, love and fear.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look for them.

Feasts of the bible provide some pretty solid meat for the basis of beliefs. For instance, God laid out his plan for redemption in the Jewish feasts. I believe the separation of Christianity from it's Jewish roots in the Old testament is a reason people lose faith. But It's sort of complicated to explain and I myself forget almost as fast as I learn about it.

Yes that is certainly true. I often feel more of a connection to the Old Testament, everything seems a lot more clear cut.

Baha'is believe in one God and the one-ness of humanity.

Thanks for the suggestion, could you point me to a good primer on the basics of your faith?

Been there, almost exactly. I was raised Roman Catholic as well, and begin to question many things about the church. I was told I could not question those things, and must accept them as truth. As I'm sure you can understand, I was not satisfied with that answer. So I left, went out, and sought my own answers.

My advice? Listen to your soul; it knows where you need to be. Seek information, and learn from others, but don't take their words as truth unless it rings true to you - your faith is something that you live, not other people. And even then, when you find what makes you complete, never stop learning.

This is what I am finding. I am a member of a forum like this for Catholics for instance which I have been on for a while. If you can not accept some of the bizarre things the church teaches, you are treated like there is something wrong with you. I am glad you have found a new path and I hope I find one in time. I'm increasingly convinced the Catholic faith does me no good at all.

If that is your true belief then go with that.
Regard each day as new and see what you can learn without any religious organisation or given belief system.
Listen to others' wisdom, but follow your own(which may or may not coincide).

Personally I need some sort of organised belief system. But preferably one without hundreds of doctrines that one must assent to or be labelled a heretic.

You have started with a premise that is why you are lost. Whether there is a God/many Gods/Goddesses or none should have come after consideration of what you find in life. I have no problem with any of these beliefs, your beliefs are your beliefs, but I think you should begin the other way around.

Hmm, well monotheism is just what makes sense to me really. But thanks for the input.

peter22

So I found a "which religion are you" quiz to try to get some clarity. I've tried a few of these and the results have been slightly different but this is the latest one which just shows how scatterbrained by beliefs are from the range of different belief systems represented. These are the ones I had 70%+ agreement with. Make of this what you will since I certainly don't know what to make of it.

fade.jpg
1. Islam (100%)
fade.jpg
2. Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (97%)
fade.jpg
3. Orthodox Judaism (93%)
fade.jpg
4. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (86%)
fade.jpg
5. Seventh Day Adventist (83%)
fade.jpg
6. Bahai (80%)
fade.jpg
7. Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (77%)
fade.jpg
8. Jainism (73%)
fade.jpg
9. Jehovahs Witness (72%)
fade.jpg
10. Eastern Orthodox (72%)
fade.jpg
11. Roman Catholic (72%)
fade.jpg
12. Hinduism (70%)

arthra

Baha'i

Your period of doubt may in the long run be a blessing... and it might be a time in your life when you need to absent yourself from the normal routine and begin a much needed search and inquiry into your soul... that is absent yourself from the every day and go on what some people call "a vision quest" to plum the depths and sour into the heavens.

Your quest must be personal and alone...

"Know thou of a truth that the seeker must, at the beginning of his quest for God, enter the Garden of Search. In this journey it behoveth the wayfarer to detach himself from all save God and to close his eyes to all that is in the heavens and on the earth. There must not linger in his heart either the hate or the love of any soul, to the extent that they would hinder him from attaining the habitation of the celestial Beauty. He must sanctify his soul from the veils of glory and refrain from boasting of such worldly vanities, outward knowledge, or other gifts as God may have bestowed upon him. He must search after the truth to the utmost of his ability and exertion, that God may guide him in the paths of His favour and the ways of His mercy. For He, verily, is the best of helpers unto His servants. He saith, and He verily speaketh the truth: "Whoso maketh efforts for Us, in Our ways shall We assuredly guide him." And furthermore: "Fear God and God will give you knowledge."

~ Baha'u'llah, Gems of Divine Mysteries, p. 19