• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use of words

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is probably not a major component of this dynamic, but I want to also point out that garbled translations of products sold across various languages and regions very much occur.

As two quick personal examples, I have on occasion seen advertisements for "plutonium" bags (turns out that "PU" is shortform both for Plutonium and for Polyurethane), and I was surprised by the obvious ortographic errors in the English version of the label text on kitchenware that I recently acquired.

It is very easy to believe that a significant number of vendors along time simply did not have enough mastery of English to perceive that the use of "quality" as shorthand for "good quality" might be at all questionable. To be fair, I am not sure yet that I find it questionable either. And of course, usage does in fact inform the correct form of the language at some point.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In English when you say 'Quality' it can be inferred that the opposite would be the absence of quality. If you think in terms of opposites then you can infer that 'Quality' might mean a good thing; but you can also deny that it means anything at all. It is analogous to a problem that appears in programming languages.

Every programming language must have representations for 'true' and 'false' as well as for 'zero' 'success' 'failure' and 'nothing'. Some languages implement a value named 'Null' in an attempt to avoid using zero to represent no result. 'Null' is the opposite of a quality, the opposite of a value, the opposite of something. Confusingly, some languages represent null with a zero, and this can cause many problems. The world's most important programming language ( c language ) does this. The problem in this case is that you can multiply by zero, add to zero; but you shouldn't be able to add to or multiply by null. Null should not be something you can add to, multiply by, treat as zero or as any value at all. Your program should immediately fail if you try to. Null should always mean 'Nothing'. In other words if you accidentally try to multiply by null your program should fail at that point, but instead your process might continue. This is one of many flaws in programming language design which causes programmer mistakes to go undetected, sometimes for many years and leads to hacker exploits that could be avoided.
I'm going out on quite the tangent here, but I have to ask whether you are aware of how Rust deals with that situation.

rocala

I've noticed a lot of words being used wrongly,
Even worse, in my opinion are changes of pronounciation. There seems to be a whole new accent sweeping across London.

I was recently having lunch in a restaurant. At the next table were a group of young women, who obviously worked together. One of them said to a colleague, "what does your husband do." The reply was "he's a manny jar". It took me a few seconds to work that one out.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's already been said, but language is a construct so there's really no such thing as using a word "wrong" in some universal sense. Words are not only polysemic - mean different things in different contexts - but often have highly specialized meanings within certain contexts and communities.

The word "magic" for example has a totally different subtext to it when you're talking to a bunch of Pagans or occultists than it does to those who are part of neither of these communities. This does not make how these subcultures understand "magic" wrong. In fact, as a religious minority I routinely have to argue with folks who claim I am using words "wrong" because how they are used within the culture or subcultures I belong to doesn't match with their own. It's annoying.

Bthoth

*banned*
I've noticed a lot of words being used wrongly, such as,

'Quality' to mean 'good quality'
'Aesthetic' to mean 'pleasing aesthetic'
'Moral' to mean 'morally good'.

Why is this?
I find the same in many religious terms.

The 'word' of god.

Some claim it's a book, scripture... etc....

But .......

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To add, in general those who want to control how others use language want to control others. Language is an essential part of cultural identity. One of the books I've been reading on indigenous culture lately has been making this point - part of why it is so disgusting that indigenous peoples were ripped out of their homes and indoctrinated into English is that it destroys their indigenous languages. And within how their language is built is encoded some essential things about their culture. Apparently, indigenous languages are grammatically structured in such a way that straight up assumes personhood extends beyond the human world, for example. In English we refer to "things" all the time but this isn't present in some indigenous languages. It's something I'm curious to look into more as while I trust the source I'd prefer some second, third, and fourth opinions from linguists and such.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It is indeed! I am currently attempting to learn it and eventually become fluent with it.
I don't feel confident about becoming fluent, however I am following a tutorial to use it with the slint GUI framework and am going through the rustlings system, too. I also have the 2018 book, although I think it is much easier to read online. The book has wide margins but very small font. I like the margins, but I can barely read the font.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Why is this?
Is it wrong?
Let's look at "quality"....
noun,plural qual·i·ties.
  1. an essential or distinctive characteristic, property, or attribute: the chemical qualities of alcohol.
  2. character or nature, as belonging to or distinguishing a thing: the quality of a sound.
adjective
  1. of or having superior quality: quality paper.
  2. producing or providing products or services of high quality or merit: a quality publisher.
  3. of or occupying high social status: a quality family.
  4. marked by a concentrated expenditure of involvement, concern, or commitment: Counselors are urging that working parents try to spend more quality time with their children.
That word means one thing by itself, but can
change or be enhanced with a preceding word.

When I say that my posts stress quantity over
quality, my usage comports with dictionaries,
so everyone knows what I mean.

Last edited:

Dao Hao Now

Why is this?
The words being “used wrongly” in your example are in fact the common usage of those words.
Adding the adjectives “good” or “pleasing” doesn’t change their meaning it merely clarifies them.
Perhaps it might be necessary if it was not clear by the context and might be reasonably construed otherwise, but that is generally not the case.

One issue I note, though, is that it is on products for sale. It seems to me like a get-out card; if you just write 'quality' and the product is shoddy the company lawyers can say 'well it didn't say good quality'.

This bothers me.
Are you suggesting that when marketing products for sale, a company might embellish the description of their products in the best conceivable light in hopes of better sales?
This is a shocking accusation! :eek:

Ever hear the phrase “caveat emptor” a.k.a.
“buyer beware”?