• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up to 10million per year could die from this

Altfish

Veteran Member
That is easy to say in spite of evidence... empirical and verifiable...

'Truly a miracle': Child who was thrown off 3rd level at MOA recovering

I prefer not to exemplify a flat-earth mentality after evidence is so contrary to a statement.

And my statements about a non-operable tumor and a stage four cancer was "not from a book".

Which reminds me... what quote did I use from a book? Or was that a false statement?
Don’t Use “Miracle” to Describe the Boy Who Survived a Mall of America Attack

It is like winning a lottery; if you throw a 1000 children (I'm not recommending this by the way) off the same balcony, one or two will survive uninjured. It is statistics.
The same with the lottery; your chance of winning it is (say) a million to one. BUT every week someone wins the lottery.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Inoperable brain tumor with a 4 month lease on life. Stage four cancer with a three month lease on life. And others...
And you think that faith cured someone's inoperable brain tumour? How?
What about the people with inoperable brain tumours who had faith and still died? Where do those statistics fit into this?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Don’t Use “Miracle” to Describe the Boy Who Survived a Mall of America Attack

It is like winning a lottery; if you throw a 1000 children (I'm not recommending this by the way) off the same balcony, one or two will survive uninjured. It is statistics.
The same with the lottery; your chance of winning it is (say) a million to one. BUT every week someone wins the lottery.

And every week someone is healed of cancer thanks to doctors... but I wouldn't call in a lottery.

I prefer what the doctor said... "It is a miracle" but feel free not to agree, after all, you are a free will spiritual agent so it is your privilege.

Kenny

Premium Member
And you think that faith cured someone's inoperable brain tumour? How?
What about the people with inoperable brain tumours who had faith and still died? Where do those statistics fit into this?
How many people are treated with chemotherapy and die... so that means chemotherapy doesn't work?

Kenny

Premium Member
There is no evidence to suggest that "faith" can do anything, ever.

That will certainly be true for you for it is according to your faith. However, after we have had multiple cases in our own church (not to mention so many others), we have enough evidence.

But, hey, if you don't want one, you certainly can live without one :D

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

That will certainly be true for you for it is according to your faith. However, after we have had multiple cases in our own church (not to mention so many others), we have enough evidence.

But, hey, if you don't want one, you certainly can live without one :D

Wait, you had amputees grow back limbs in your church? LOL, Send me a video of it next time it happens.:tearsofjoy:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
How many people are treated with chemotherapy and die... so that means chemotherapy doesn't work?
Perhaps you could answer my questions. How does faith cure a medical issue? How can we test if faith is indeed what cured the medical condition? What is a miracle and how do we know when one has occurred? What do you even mean when you say "faith?"

We know the reasoning and the science behind chemotherapy being used to treat some forms of cancers. We know the survival rate is not 100%, depending on a multitude of factors. We don't simply ignore the people who ended up dying from cancer, as you apparently do with people whose faith beliefs were not answered. We have no information whatsoever about miracle claims, other than the claim itself.

Kenny

Premium Member
We know the reasoning and the science behind chemotherapy being used to treat some forms of cancers. We know the survival rate is not 100%, depending on a multitude of factors. We don't simply ignore the people who ended up dying from cancer, as you apparently do with people whose faith beliefs were not answered.
I am at a loss at the statement that I ignore people whose faith beliefs were not answered. Where did I say that? Why do you say that?

We have no information whatsoever about miracle claims, other than the claim itself.
Not true. We know that chemo works because people are healed (albeit not always). We know that faith works because people are healed (albeit not always). Why is it different?

Perhaps you could answer my questions. How does faith cure a medical issue?
Think of it this way. Mind can be stronger than the physical. Many times the very will to live can push normal physical capacity beyond its ability. Maybe you have heard "Now it is up to him and his will to live" - the will, or mind, alters the capacity of the body.

Likewise, the spirit is stronger than both mind and physical. It has the capacity to change the natural course of sickness.

How can we test if faith is indeed what cured the medical condition?

Through empirical evidence. We prayed after the declaration that the woman was going to die in 6 month (or there about -- it's been a while so the exact month count may be off by a month) because of the inoperable tumor and then, after prayer, it shrunk and disappeared and the doctors had no medical explanation.

We prayer for another woman with stage four cancer, and a month later they said "We don't understand it, but it is completely gone". And the list goes on and on.
What is a miracle and how do we know when one has occurred?
A miracle from God, as defined by Christians, is when the natural course of nature is violated. Adrenaline for momentary strength is not a miracle. It is the natural course of nature.

Smith Wigglesworth going to a wake, grabbing a dead person and putting him up on a wall and shouting, "Arise and live" - and on the third time his eyes open and he lives, is called a miracle.

My friend who had a third failure in bridging her broken spinal cord and the doctors said "Don't lift anything over 5lbs, don't have babies, don't do any physical work" and after going to a service, went to her hotel room, fell to the floor crying out to God when she realized all pain was gone and John Hopkins Hospital says, "We have no idea what happened, its a miracle, you spinal cord is completely normal" and two babies later she still is normal and pushes a lawn mower, violates nature and would be classified as a miracle.

What do you even mean when you say "faith?"

I would assume that there are many definitions to try to let the hearer understand. One that I like is:

Hebrews 11:1 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
11 Now faith is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dawkins, R - The God Delusion
"Any belief in miracles is flat contradictory not just to the facts of science but to the spirit of science"

Yet a quote for the 'Spirit' of science.

Thus we can also have faith in the 'Spirit' of healing.

Regards Tony