• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you (anyone viewing this) ever sort of exaggerated or basically lied to anyone about feeling a bit sick or having a problem in order to get out of an obligation, expectation, appointment, or duty (like a work day or a school day)? Just curious. I wonder if I have. I kind of don't think I have, but I've seen people do it I think, or to be sort of barely feeling bad or just late and tell the employer that they can't make it because of some reason, either the minimal reason that they thought of it for in the first place, or a made up one entirely.

Yep, I have.

It's worked both ways. I've convinced an employer I was feeling better than I really was, as I wanted to see a piece of work through to the end (I envisaged major problems if I didn't). And I've exaggerated feeling poorly once or twice.

Overall, I'm much more likely to work when feeling poorly than the reverse. I rarely take sick days. It's taken some effort for me to convince myself that this isn't in the business' best interests, and I should just take a sick day and recover for EVERYONE's benefit, including my own.
(I ended up with pneumonia when I was younger as a result of ignoring a heavy cold/flu and continuing to work and travel)

I had reached a point of pretty good balance, and now COVID has come along and changed the playing field again...lol

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems apparent that they were all Atheistic or otherwise Agnostic or "Spiritual" at the most (saying they casually believe in God, possibly even less than Napoleon Bonaparte or Adolf Hitler), and are really just materialistic and worldly people who scarcely ever think of God or spiritual things (except for superstitious things maybe, energies, luck, bad intentions, psychic intuitions, spiritual entities).

Thanks, but 'atheistic' doesn't mean 'buttholes'. If they believe in any sort of God, they're not atheists. Regardless of how hypocritical they are, how cynically they behave, or how much you don't want them on your 'team'.

Thanks, but 'atheistic' doesn't mean 'buttholes'. If they believe in any sort of God, they're not atheists. Regardless of how hypocritical they are, how cynically they behave, or how much you don't want them on your 'team'.
There are a lot of "buttholes" who say they believe in God too, and many of those "buttholes" do believe in God genuinely but are still evil and cruel, vicious people or otherwise callous and dangerous. So, that wasn't really the point, the point was that I don't think that the Presidents after Reagan believed in God at all really, which didn't necessitate that they were evil, nor was Obama really evil in my opinion overall, and Trump isn't evil as far as I'm concerned either. Bush Sr. is a genuinely evil and dangerous person along with his gang of Cheney and Rumsfeld, Bush Jr. is just a sort of chumpish seeming pushover who let the other people control him but is basically evil'ish the Son of Evil. Trump doesn't come off as what I think of when I think of the word Evil really, he seems more just totally egotistical, a kind of weird attention whore celebrity type who doesn't care much about the realities of anything and is obsessed with "positive thinking". If he was deeply evil, he would have been alright overseeing numerous executions and murder plots like the Bush Family who have been monsters since far into the past when they were part of giving Nazis the equipment for their gas chambers. Those are evil people. Cheney and Rumsfeld were totally evil people. The Press Secretary girl is not an evil person, that dumb lady who people used to make fun of who is from Alaska barely seems evil also. These are more idiots. Even Bush Jr. was an idiot, but a pretty horrifically evil idiot who was controlled by and taking part in huge amounts of very vicious actions against people all over the world knowingly, though he may claim he had no ultimate choice and would not have been placed in his position if he had not agreed to do whatever they wanted him to do.

So, I was not saying Atheist = Butthole at all, as there were in the past Religious Buttholes too, and there are Religious Buttholes now, but these last Presidents after Reagan are pretty solidly Atheistic seeming, it is highly unlikely that they really believe in anything much at all or are religious or interested in religion. Reagan and his wife were known to be and acting in accordance with being interested in some kind of spiritual stuff and come from a background like that by him being an actor and in those sort of circles while that stuff had been popular, Bush Sr. is practically a devil, there is no way he could live a life doing what he has done through it and be a religious or sincerely devout person, and he isn't a good and noble atheist either, he is a very bad dude.

As we go back further into the past more and more, it becomes more and more typical or likely that the people genuinely increase in superstition and magical thinking and more genuinely believe in God and are religious, not that such makes them better people, in fact they were at times much more violent and cruel and dangerous in the past.

Lets talk about the beloved Mass Murderer Abraham Lincoln. It is much more likely that Abraham Lincoln believed in some sort of notion of God than did or does Obama, yet Abraham Lincoln basically signed for the mass executions of Native Americans while being touted as the great Civil Rights champion or whatever by abolishing slavery. Abraham Lincoln was behind horrible things that people don't know much about or hear much about, was more likely to believe in God, but was very possibly more evil by today's standards than Obama.

Going back even further, God and magic were even more likely to believe in, but Atheistic Buttholes and Friendly Atheists (and friendly Buttholes?) all existed in the past as well and some of their statements and ideas were even recorded around the whole world, and many of them were very ethical and generally harmless people, and others were horrible monsters too, but in the past the majority of people not only identified as religious, but seemed to have been more sincerely religious or superstitious, so that if there were Buttholes among them, they were religious Buttholes, whereas today its highly doubtful that these presidents after Reagan were strong believers in God.

Yep, I have.

It's worked both ways. I've convinced an employer I was feeling better than I really was, as I wanted to see a piece of work through to the end (I envisaged major problems if I didn't). And I've exaggerated feeling poorly once or twice.

Overall, I'm much more likely to work when feeling poorly than the reverse. I rarely take sick days. It's taken some effort for me to convince myself that this isn't in the business' best interests, and I should just take a sick day and recover for EVERYONE's benefit, including my own.
(I ended up with pneumonia when I was younger as a result of ignoring a heavy cold/flu and continuing to work and travel)

I had reached a point of pretty good balance, and now COVID has come along and changed the playing field again...lol

What work do you do and why are you so into it or serious about it? I have a mixture of a good work ethic or feeling of duty, and a bad work ethic or attitude, which is basically that I avoid work as much as I possibly can, and I don't care about anything much either, but if I had some job or task I try to really do well as it reflects on my "face" and would shame or dishonor me if I was consistently giving the impression of being poor, so my only real interest is in appearance, but I hate being judged and avoid all work and try to find the easiest way out and also don't give a hoot about making other people money.

Trump expressed his gratitude...
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1312525833505058816
He thanked everybody, he thanked his healthcare providers, and the "Miracles from Heaven"...
but it looks like it's just not good enough because he forgot to mention his genetics?

Surely you weren't expecting him to say...Thank God I'm white... were you?

Seriously though, Thank God that I'm fair skinned and appear white, because man does it seem really sh*tty and hard to exist in some places while not being white (and thank God for my good looks and charm as well)! I have every advantage, thanks to being from an ok class level, being attractive, being white looking, being able to pass as so many things among so many people.

He's still infectious regardless how well he claims to feel, and him pulling his mask off is just a big "**** you" to those he comes into contact with.

If god were to intervene at all, it would've been with a lightening strike, not healing.

No. Trump is an invincible hero.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There are a lot of "buttholes" who say they believe in God too, and many of those "buttholes" do believe in God genuinely but are still evil and cruel, vicious people or otherwise callous and dangerous. So, that wasn't really the point, the point was that I don't think that the Presidents after Reagan believed in God at all really, which didn't necessitate that they were evil, nor was Obama really evil in my opinion overall, and Trump isn't evil as far as I'm concerned either. Bush Sr. is a genuinely evil and dangerous person along with his gang of Cheney and Rumsfeld, Bush Jr. is just a sort of chumpish seeming pushover who let the other people control him but is basically evil'ish the Son of Evil. Trump doesn't come off as what I think of when I think of the word Evil really, he seems more just totally egotistical, a kind of weird attention whore celebrity type who doesn't care much about the realities of anything and is obsessed with "positive thinking". If he was deeply evil, he would have been alright overseeing numerous executions and murder plots like the Bush Family who have been monsters since far into the past when they were part of giving Nazis the equipment for their gas chambers. Those are evil people. Cheney and Rumsfeld were totally evil people. The Press Secretary girl is not an evil person, that dumb lady who people used to make fun of who is from Alaska barely seems evil also. These are more idiots. Even Bush Jr. was an idiot, but a pretty horrifically evil idiot who was controlled by and taking part in huge amounts of very vicious actions against people all over the world knowingly, though he may claim he had no ultimate choice and would not have been placed in his position if he had not agreed to do whatever they wanted him to do.

So, I was not saying Atheist = Butthole at all, as there were in the past Religious Buttholes too, and there are Religious Buttholes now, but these last Presidents after Reagan are pretty solidly Atheistic seeming, it is highly unlikely that they really believe in anything much at all or are religious or interested in religion. Reagan and his wife were known to be and acting in accordance with being interested in some kind of spiritual stuff and come from a background like that by him being an actor and in those sort of circles while that stuff had been popular, Bush Sr. is practically a devil, there is no way he could live a life doing what he has done through it and be a religious or sincerely devout person, and he isn't a good and noble atheist either, he is a very bad dude.

As we go back further into the past more and more, it becomes more and more typical or likely that the people genuinely increase in superstition and magical thinking and more genuinely believe in God and are religious, not that such makes them better people, in fact they were at times much more violent and cruel and dangerous in the past.

Lets talk about the beloved Mass Murderer Abraham Lincoln. It is much more likely that Abraham Lincoln believed in some sort of notion of God than did or does Obama, yet Abraham Lincoln basically signed for the mass executions of Native Americans while being touted as the great Civil Rights champion or whatever by abolishing slavery. Abraham Lincoln was behind horrible things that people don't know much about or hear much about, was more likely to believe in God, but was very possibly more evil by today's standards than Obama.

Going back even further, God and magic were even more likely to believe in, but Atheistic Buttholes and Friendly Atheists (and friendly Buttholes?) all existed in the past as well and some of their statements and ideas were even recorded around the whole world, and many of them were very ethical and generally harmless people, and others were horrible monsters too, but in the past the majority of people not only identified as religious, but seemed to have been more sincerely religious or superstitious, so that if there were Buttholes among them, they were religious Buttholes, whereas today its highly doubtful that these presidents after Reagan were strong believers in God.

Lessee...okay, first of, a quick apology. If you have the idea that some theists are good people, and some are buttheads, then that sounds about right. And it's exactly the same with atheists. Some are good, some are buttheads.

I still think it's kinda weird to count people who don't have a strong belief in God as atheists, though. A lot of people have vague and inconsistent beliefs about God. The whole 'there must be something' crowd. They might have heretical beliefs, or they might have almost no clear beliefs beyond a vague supposition that something greater than us is out there. Perhaps people like George Bush fit into this, I don't know. But I have no reason to believe he was an atheist. He's never suggested he was.

Would politicians in the USA own up to atheism? Well, it's doubtful. But how else do you spot an atheist, apart from when they say they don't believe in God?
I've always figured a small number of history's deists were probably atheists in their heart of hearts. But there's no way to know if that's true, and no way to tell which. If they claim to be deists, then deists they are, short of any convincing evidence to the contrary.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What work do you do and why are you so into it or serious about it?

I work in the software industry, implementing complex business software. I'm not saving any lives...lol
It's project work, so lots of deadlines, and people waiting on things, etc. Apart from that, the job is relatively unimportant in terms of higher purpose.
As to why I'm so serious about it...well...it's mostly just down to how I was raised, I guess. My parents are working class, and their way of proving worth and getting ahead was to put their heads down and work hard. Whilst I've been around enough to know the problems inherent with that view, a strong work ethic has helped me build a career in an industry where I actually have no qualifications.

I have a mixture of a good work ethic or feeling of duty, and a bad work ethic or attitude, which is basically that I avoid work as much as I possibly can, and I don't care about anything much either, but if I had some job or task I try to really do well as it reflects on my "face" and would shame or dishonor me if I was consistently giving the impression of being poor, so my only real interest is in appearance, but I hate being judged and avoid all work and try to find the easiest way out and also don't give a hoot about making other people money.

Hmm...there is a level of personal honour, I suppose, in being seen as good at my job by my peers, although as I have progressed in my industry that gets less important, and also less informed.
Rather than working in a pool of people doing similar work, and wanting to be relatively good at it, I'm been in a position where I'm a little more unique in terms of skill set for a while now, and no one else in my company really does the same job as me (some overlaps).

I also have a family, and...patriarchal as it sounds...I play the role of breadwinner. There's a certain level of pressure that comes with that to do well, and get ahead, as well as try to balance work and home life.

I work in the software industry, implementing complex business software. I'm not saving any lives...lol
It's project work, so lots of deadlines, and people waiting on things, etc. Apart from that, the job is relatively unimportant in terms of higher purpose.
As to why I'm so serious about it...well...it's mostly just down to how I was raised, I guess. My parents are working class, and their way of proving worth and getting ahead was to put their heads down and work hard. Whilst I've been around enough to know the problems inherent with that view, a strong work ethic has helped me build a career in an industry where I actually have no qualifications.

Hmm...there is a level of personal honour, I suppose, in being seen as good at my job by my peers, although as I have progressed in my industry that gets less important, and also less informed.
Rather than working in a pool of people doing similar work, and wanting to be relatively good at it, I'm been in a position where I'm a little more unique in terms of skill set for a while now, and no one else in my company really does the same job as me (some overlaps).

I also have a family, and...patriarchal as it sounds...I play the role of breadwinner. There's a certain level of pressure that comes with that to do well, and get ahead, as well as try to balance work and home life.

Yes, I think you brought up a lot of important factors. I think in my case, one factor is my religious nature or preference to be lost in philosophical meanderings (besides not needing to do things just yet, and not seeing the things I've done as worth the trouble, like going on the bus early in the morning for minimum wage, my whole eating and sleeping schedule was in ruins too for seemingly nothing) so that I think of work as something which gets me away from what I prefer doing instead, which is thinking about things, playing around, whatever. It puts a value on things other than working and values things people might otherwise call worthless like meditations and spiritual exercises or explorations and research. It also makes me pretentious probably, so that I don't really feel like I have anyone to prove anything to or that I could possibly prove anything to and that the work itself would prove nothing to me or others nor garner me much respect from anyone I care to be respected by. Anyway, these and numerous other factors pile up into someone who I think would make for a pretty unhappy and unpleasant laborer and people should not adopt attitudes like these or else society might totally collapse into something more like the "lockdown" times, where everyone is just at home mainly.