• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unrelenting quoting of scripture.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see posts that are just scripture, with very little or no personal comment attached. Of what value is this in an interfaith discussion.if any? If it's two people from different faiths, it's like exchanging two books.

Personally, I rarely, if ever read it.

Do you read it?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it could be something along the lines of those who use Facebook, but only ever post "post this to everyone you know" posts, because they don't know how to express their own thoughts in words. It would be funny to add that "chainmail" blurb at the end of scripture passages, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Share if you agree!" :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think it could be something along the lines of those who use Facebook, but only ever post "post this to everyone you know" posts, because they don't know how to express their own thoughts in words. It would be funny to add that "chainmail" blurb at the end of scripture passages, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Share if you agree!" :)

You always have something real to say. I appreciate that so much, even if I disagree.

74x12

I see posts that are just scripture, with very little or no personal comment attached. Of what value is this in an interfaith discussion.if any? If it's two people from different faiths, it's like exchanging two books.

Do you read it?
Well it's only natural in scripture debate sections for example; that passages of scriptures will be quoted over and over.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Do you read it?
For some reason or another, people who mindlessly quote tend to do so from books with the apparant
(if not incorrigible) mindset that the scriptural source from where they're quoting from is regarded as already something influential or relevant with the person you're having a conversation, debate, or discussion with. That would go in conjunction with the expectation that the person being quoted to would be already impressed by the quotes themselves, as with with the source where the quotes come from.

It comes across all too often as being mindlessly robotic with nothing to actually say aside from what they have been programmed with saying with little or nothing else to add.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Do you read it?

Haha. You mirrored my other thread asking a similar question.

hm.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Do you read it?

If I remember, the replies I got where:

1. education (We want to tell you what X persons said about this topic because we cant figure the words ourselves-and people have told me that point blank

2. Support comment (We do have a comment but we dont trust our own views without [our own] evidence to confirm its validity)

I think its also its programed to repeat it. Someone told me they aleady have scriptures in their heads (from study) and post it so the other can get-their-point.

I dislike a couple of things about quoting

1. I dont understand a thing.

2. No one wants to explain scripture without trying to justify why its correct

3. Using scripture as if it has an ability to make a person spiritually understand something thats highly subjective

4. Assuming everyone (and online mind you!) knows what sacred text are talking about even if they are in english. (which doesnt help nonnative speakers)

5. Using their own interpretation as if it IS the real one without accepting its just that, an interpretation.

6. Not many people even know the original language scriptures are written and classes, ministry, travel, and reference books arent the same as understanding it by culture. Even Jews on RF said 1, Christians dont have the same torah and 2. most dont know Hebrew fluently and culturally to understand how the religions differ as a whole

7. While education is fine, none of the educators ask their readers if they can understand or follow what they are posting if not have the patience to clarify whats posted rather than assume its perfect as written.

The english language just isnt like that. Sacred or not.

8. On that note, assuming english translations are the same as originals.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Do you read it?
I am a skimmer, so I might skim it if I am familiar with the text posted. A long post can be both difficult and tedious to follow. Very often a long post signals bad logic, because bad logic works a bit like a whisper circle. By the time the whisper gets around the circle -- or by the time you follow reasoning through to the end of the very long posts they sometimes have lost track of previous statements made near the start. If you spend the time to try and follow the reasoning there sometimes isn't any 'Chain' of thoughts that you can follow. Reading the long ones is a gamble.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Do you read it?
On an old (now defunct) forum, I was once "The Pope".
I made up scripture because I didn't know any.
It was much more interesting than the real thing.

lukethethird

unknown member

Do you read it?
Oh ye, of little faith.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Do you read it?
No.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No, not a rhyming style of poetry.
I portrayed Pope Ratsy as a decent guy with reluctantly wicked sense of humor.
I'd like to see a comeback, a resurrection of sorts. Fictional religious arguments about fictional religions. Swami Beyondananda stuff. I would be Swami Canuckistanananda. Pope Ratsy could indulge in philosophy with me in October over a whacky one, once the country legalises it.