• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unrelenting quoting of scripture.

Ellen Brown

You always have something real to say. I appreciate that so much, even if I disagree.

In my world, the Bible and Quran are seen as the proof of one's opinion. Other people in that world mostly have either the Bible or the Quran and sometimes both and others too. There are lots of writings outside the so called accepted canon, and I will read those also.

So, in your belief system, do you memorize mantras, or offer your opinion?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
images

lukethethird

unknown member
Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would be happy to explain what the meaning of symbol is for me.

"The swastika is a geometrical figure and an ancient religious icon from the cultures of Eurasia, where it has been and remains a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions and East Asian religions. In the Western world it was a symbol of auspiciousness and good luck until the 1930s, .. The name swastika comes from Sanskrit (Devanagari: स्वस्तिक, pronounced: swastik) and denotes "conducive to well being or auspicious"."
Swastika - Wikipedia

Sarveshām swastir bhavatu l Sarveshām shantir bhavatu l
Sarveshām pūrnam bhavatu l Sarveshām mangalam bhavatu l
Sarve bhavantu sukhinah l Sarve santu nirāmayāh l
Sarve bhadrāni pashyantu l Mā kaschit duhkha bhāg bhavet l

Auspiciousness (swasti) be unto all; peace (shanti) be unto all;
fullness be unto all; prosperity be unto all.
May all be happy, May all be free from disabilities;
May all look to the good of others, May none suffer from sorrow.

Bhadram Karnebhiḥ Srinuyām Devah l Bhadram Pashyem Akshabhir Yajatrah l
Sthirair Angais Tushtuvagamsas Tanūbhih l Vyashema Devahitam Yadāyūh l
Swasti Na Indro Vriddhashrava l Swasti Na Pūsha Vishwa-Vedāh l
Swasti Nastāksharyo Arishtanemih l Swasti No Brihaspatir-dadhātu l
Shānti Shānti Shānti l l

May we hear what is Auspicious with our ears, Oh Gods. May we see what is Auspicious With our eyes, Oh holy ones worthy of Worship. May we live a life of satisfaction with strong organs and Healthy body. May we Praise the Lord during the life span given to us by the Gods. May God Indra of Great fame bless us. May the Omniscient Poosha bless us. May the Protector Garuda bless us. May Lord Brihaspati protect us. Peace (for you), Peace (for me), Peace (for all).

That is the meaning of 'Swasti' with us. Jews generally know our views well. They have been our friends for some 2,500 years.

"The history of the Jews in India reaches back to ancient times. Judaism was one of the first foreign religions to arrive in India in recorded history. Indian Jews are a religious minority of India, but unlike many parts of the world, have historically lived in India without any instances of antisemitism from the local majority populace. .. some Jews state their ancestors arrived in India during the time of the Kingdom of Judah, .."
History of the Jews in India - Wikipedia

What do we do with this? Both symbols are auspicious for us.

3-symbols-om-star-of-david-and-swastika-on-entrance-gate.jpg
69559_orig.png
juxtaposition.jpg
d1315784565cbc298ba2dfe030fac212.jpg
8492370.jpg
15587431744-house-hindu-symbols-shatkona-star-david-swastika-india.jpg
7924218_orig.jpg

Last edited:

iam1me

I see posts that are just scripture, with very little or no personal comment attached. Of what value is this in an interfaith discussion.if any? If it's two people from different faiths, it's like exchanging two books.

Personally, I rarely, if ever read it.

Do you read it?

Depends upon the subject matter and who the general audience is for the thread. If it is a Scriptural Debate, or a question of why I think one way vs other Christians type of thing, scripture is highly relevant to the discussion. Or, again, if there is an ignorant criticism of what Christianity or the scriptures say (which is very frequent), then presenting relevant scripture is good and proper.

That said, there are definitely people who abuse the posting of scripture - just creating huge walls of it without any commentary, as you say, that even the Christians aren't going to read through. Many of the scriptures may even have a dubious relevance to the matter at hand. And if my the members of the thread are not primarily Christian then it is often unproductive to present arguments from scripture - save in so far as clarifying what the scriptures say.

So I hear where you are coming from Vinayaka :)

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I see posts that are just scripture, with very little or no personal comment attached. Of what value is this in an interfaith discussion.if any?
As long as I’ve been a member of the Baha’i Faith, there’s been an idea circulating that it’s better to give Bahá’u’lláh’s message in His own words, rather than our personal interpretations of them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In my world, the Bible and Quran are seen as the proof of one's opinion. Other people in that world mostly have either the Bible or the Quran and sometimes both and others too. There are lots of writings outside the so called accepted canon, and I will read those also.

So, in your belief system, do you memorize mantras, or offer your opinion?
I just offer my opinion on line. The liturgical language, Sanskrit, is used for ritual. Some Hindus would use short and very relevant quotes from scripture. For example, when someone suggested to me that vegetarianism was recent, I quoted a verse on it from the Tirukkural., which is about 2200 years old. But long quotes without any commentary or opinion, never.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As long as I’ve been a member of the Baha’i Faith, there’s been an idea circulating that it’s better to give Bahá’u’lláh’s message in His own words, rather than our personal interpretations of them.
Yes, I know. I've seen it a ton. It's annoying. Some days I think there is a proselytization manual and people just follow that, and I think the first suggestion in that manual is 'Quote Baha'u'llah as much as you can." Most 'sharing' faiths do have such works on how to evangelize to certain groups. To me, it crosses a line.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Some days I think there is a proselytization manual
There are manuals and training courses for what Baha'is call "teaching the faith." It may or may not be what forum administrators consider proselytizing, depending on how it's applied.
... and I think the first suggestion in that manual is 'Quote Baha'u'llah as much as you can."
No. That comes later.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are manuals and training courses for what Baha'is call "teaching the faith." It may or may not be what forum administrators consider proselytizing, depending on how it's applied.

Most dharmic groups and faiths would never dream of such a thing. We do have a few 'how to answer certain questions' types of things though.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I would be happy to explain what the meaning of symbol is for me.

May all be happy, May all be free from disabilities;
May all look to the good of others, May none suffer from sorrow.
That is nice and reminds me of Bob Dylan's 'Forever Young' song, but is this on equal footing with a song? What I am getting to is trying to determine the importance of the words and of the symbol in your life.

What do we do with this? Both symbols are auspicious for us.
What do you mean 'Auspicious' to you ? Is it like saying its pretty?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I see posts that are just scripture, with very little or no personal comment attached. Of what value is this in an interfaith discussion.if any? If it's two people from different faiths, it's like exchanging two books.

Do you read it?
Sometimes. But it is a very poor form of communication, when it is communication at all.

At the root of it there seems to be a significant mismatch of expectations.

Some people think of religion as submission to the word of God as revealed by scripture and/or a prophet of some form.

Others have a more dharmic view - which is to say, a more personal view.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Do you read it?
I typically don't read long passages.

I get the mindset behind it: in a religion based on "revealed" scripture, the validity of any tenet of that religion is going to depend on whether it's based on a faithful interpretation of scripture. It would be hard to do this without referring to scripture in some way. It also pays to refer not just to the particular phrase you care about, but also the surrounding text so that you can show that you aren't pulling things out of context.

That being said, I think that hyperlinking to the scripture instead of pasting it all into the body of the post is usually a cleaner way to do it.

As for its value in an interfaith discussion: that depends.

Quoting the Bible at me isn't going to convince me that a Christian's position is correct, but it may help me understand why a Christian has adopted a particular position.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Do you read it?

Rarely read WHAT?

How can someone discuss Christianity without reading the scripture, you know, to see what Jesus said, and so on.

Jedster

Do you read it?
If people just spoke form their own experience(s), then a more real discussion can take place.