• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
AH, I thought it was a semester full of various theology courses. So it's probably what I would have called "Theology 101" back in the day.
It's a 3 year Theology degree :)

I posted the modules for you.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Oh, you mean modules?

Intro to Biblical Studies.
Intro to Christianity.
Philosophical Reflection and Ethics of Wellbeing.
Intro to Ethics.
Intro to Philosophy.
World Religions.

(All core modules)

First year covered.

Historical Jesus. (Core module; the rest are optional)
Selected NT Texts.
Judaism.
Kant.
John Stuart Mill.
Philosophy of Religion.
Religion and Science.
Religious Ethics, Human Rights and Social Justice.

Second year covered.

Theology and Religion indie study (Core).
Great Books of Religion, Philosophy and Ethics (Core).
Theology and Religion Extended Research Essay (Core).
Great Books of Religio, Philosophy and Ethics 2 (Core; the rest are optional).
Biblical Interpretation .
Social World of the NT.
Religion Today.
Religion, Visual Imagination and Film.
Religion, Gender and Sexuality.
Classical Christian Mysticism.

Third year covered :)
it looks like a lot right now...:eek::oops::D

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's a 3 year Theology degree :)

I posted the modules for you.
Does that degree allow you to become a pastor in the CoE?
I know that you have to have a degree in theology to become a pastor or priest in the Lutheran or Catholic church in Germany. But that requires the study of Lutheran or Catholic theology respectively.
There are studies in comparative religions but they are purely academic.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Does that degree allow you to become a pastor in the CoE?
I know that you have to have a degree in theology to become a pastor or priest in the Lutheran or Catholic church in Germany. But that requires the study of Lutheran or Catholic theology respectively.
There are studies in comparative religions but they are purely academic.
I don't know. I'm not looking to become a vicar and I don't believe in female Church clergy, either. You do likely need it though, but I know they have special training courses for Anglican priests so it's probably covered on that course.

I'm not a Christian, in any case.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the recommended books for pre-course reading is Tom Holland's 'Dominion'. I'm halfway through it. If this is the kind of reading needed then this looks like a great course.

@Augustus have you any suggestions of similar content?

One of the recommended books for pre-course reading is Tom Holland's 'Dominion'. I'm halfway through it. If this is the kind of reading needed then this looks like a great course.

@Augustus have you any suggestions of similar content?

Similar in what way? Stylistically or the influence of Christianity on western thought?

Inventing the individual - Larry Siedentop perhaps for the latter

Inventing the Individual: the Origins of Western Liberalism by Larry Siedentop – review

A history of the bible by John Barton is quite good too, not really similar, but I was just reminded of it.

A History of the Bible by John Barton review – tiptoeing through a minefield

Most stuff is a bit drier than Dominion, he did a book called Millennium too which touches on Christian themes too.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Similar in what way? Stylistically or the influence of Christianity on western thought?

Inventing the individual - Larry Siedentop perhaps for the latter

Inventing the Individual: the Origins of Western Liberalism by Larry Siedentop – review

A history of the bible by John Barton is quite good too, not really similar, but I was just reminded of it.

A History of the Bible by John Barton review – tiptoeing through a minefield

Most stuff is a bit drier than Dominion, he did a book called Millennium too which touches on Christian themes too.
I meant in terms of Christianity, so these recommendations look great. Thanks :)