• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
By the Grace of God I have been offered a place at university to study Theology :)

I would like to brush up on theological arguments, debates, understandings, thinkers etc. This is in a mostly Christian context so I will need to read/hear from Christian theologians, philosophers etc. This includes the Church Fathers. I have very limited money right now and I am not trying to spend, so online resources are also very welcome although I would like books as well.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Well I’m not too versed in such literature specifically.
Though I’m vaguely familiar with theological books in general.
Here’s a list I found for you all the same

9 of Our Favorite Books about Biblical Theology

Also
upload_2022-5-23_3-25-39.gif

exchemist

Veteran Member
By the Grace of God I have been offered a place at university to study Theology :)

I would like to brush up on theological arguments, debates, understandings, thinkers etc. This is in a mostly Christian context so I will need to read/hear from Christian theologians, philosophers etc. This includes the Church Fathers. I have very limited money right now and I am not trying to spend, so online resources are also very welcome although I would like books as well.

Thanks.
That's wonderful. I'm sure you will do well - you evidently have the interest.

I don't have much literature to suggest, I'm afraid. About the only book on Christianity I have is Diarmaid MacCullough's "History of Christianity", which is a weighty tome of ~1200 pages but available in paperback for under £20 : A History of Christianity

While it is not theology per se, it does show the evolution of the religion in its various strands, so might be helpful in understanding the background to the theological ideas and the roles of the various dramatis personae.

I was given it by a brother who is a sort of self-appointed Protestant pastor. I have found it interesting to read. MacCullough is an ex-Anglican priest - left the faith due to the church's attitude to his homosexuality but remains friendly towards it - and Prof of Church History at Oxford. I was interested to be given it as my grandfather, a Methodist, had been prof of church history at Glasgow. So I felt I was following in his footsteps as I read.

Anyway, supporting impecunious students is a worthy cause - I currently have a son at uni. If you would like a copy I can send you one (You'll need to PM me a delivery address.)

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure, but book writing or lecturing comes to mind. Basically I need a way out of where I currently am and this is what God offered and seems to want me to do, so I said okay.
That's way better than my suggestion.

Then, instead of pounding people on RF, pound lowly peons on RF.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Thanks.
Is this also an opportunity to learn some
additional material to make you more
employable & financially independent?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
That's great, Rival!

Hey, to augment your studies I hear there's an internet forum specifically for discussing and debating religious topics.

I can't think of the name right now though.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That's great, Rival!

Hey, to augment your studies I hear there's an internet forum specifically for discussing and debating religious topics.

I can't think of the name right now though.
I actually mentioned modding on RF in my personal statement to boost my cred :D

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Thanks.
Books I have. Ask if you have a question about any of them:
Greek Orthodox Patrology
The late Professor Panagiotes K. Chrestou of Aristotle University of Thessalonica, Greece, is justly regarded as the leading Greek Patrologist of the twentieth century. The present volume is a foretaste of Professor Chrestou's Greek Patrology. Its great value will be realized by anyone who decides to delve into these pages. It provides a bird's eye view of Greek Orthodox Patrology, and elucidates in a thorough and succinct way such basic topics as: who the Fathers are; the historical context of patristic literature; the nature and characteristics of Greek patristic literature; and the seven major periods of patristic literature from AD 90 through 1453, the capture of Constantinople.​
The Jews in the Time of Jesus
"The teachings of Jesus, his life story, his relationships, the things that were said of him by early Christians - all are best understood against the backdrop of Jesus' own time and place. Understanding Jewish life in the first century will help us better understand Jesus' mission and how it relates to our own religious concerns today.
The Jews in the Time of Jesus is ideal for classroom use and for anyone who is interested in understanding the Jewish roots of Christianity."​